Great innings by Rahul Dravid

DomainK

One of the most unselfish players. He does not mind getting overshadowed by other players. So many of his contributions have come in the support role and have been over looked by cricket lovers because one of his team mates played the more dominant role. When Laxman scored his outstanding 281, Dravid was silently holding one end for him, making his job easier. We always tend to forget his role in turning that series around. Today again, when Sehwag was at his destructive best, Dravid was the silent supporter. He held one end, made sure to keep his wickets and didnt let any pressure on Sehwag. I can tell you, you need great determination to be able to play like this. He is going through a slightly bad time with form, but being the fighter he is, he will shake all the dust off and come clean out of this mess in no time.

Look criticism has to be made of RD's innings - when it is true criticism. But, firstly I must point out the RD is my favourite player. It is all easy to say he played slowly because Motu was playing well at the other end. RD faced something like 299 balls for 111 on a batting track where at the other end the guy was smacking it around easily. I would say that RD wasted about 99 balls where he could have scored. We would have had 50 more runs yesterday & less pressure today. Even today he was scratching around. He is definitely worried about his place in the test team. He should be told by the selectors that he is safe for this test series at least and go out there and enjoy your batting. He seems to be a torture. He should never ever have been given the captaincy. That in itself has ruined him.

Hardly a great innings. And the reason why Dravid doesn't mind getting overshadowed is because that's the way he plays. He feeds off the other bat batting with him and lets them take the initiative while he holds one end up. I guess his p'ship with Veeru was an example of that but he could have scored a touch quicker. A similar knock from SRT or Ganguly would have seen incredible abuse heaped on them. :D