Sehwag OWNS Bradman...in the runs in his century.

amits

Sehwag OWNS Bradman...in the runs in his century.  

1. 1.

The main aim of this exercise was to convey the fact that 100 runs in 1931 = about 50-60 runs in modern era. So you have to come out of this simplistic comparison based on averages where you assume that its as easy (or hard ) to score runs today as it was in the 30s. As such I am yet to meet an expert who acknowledges that Bradman would average much lesser in the modern era.?
if you think a man who averaged 100 in the 30s would average 50-60 then why are you so reluctant to accept that a man who averaged 56(Hobbs) in the 30s would average 30 in the modern era?
That doesnt make any sense .... are comparing Sehwag (the bowler), Clarke (the bowler) etc .... with Larwood and co ?
because thats how much you are underrating Bradman.

Interesting points BossBhai but i think u are trying to do the impossible, compare a great yesteryear player with a modern day Cricketer, i am more looking at Bradman compared to his contemporaries and saying well since his era even the ""greats"" have not been such a statistical aberration, and certainly not Sehwag. It's definitely debatable if Sehwag is even the best opening bat for India ever, imo that accolade belongs to SMG, and Sehwag doesnt stand out overly much from his contemporaries even Mathew Hayden has a higher average than Sehwag, in fact just on stats alone about the only thing Sehwag has over Hayden is a higher SR in tests. Now compare this with how far superior Bradman was to players of his era, and even look at the stats of players throught the era's of Cricket, no-one has come close, the greats have averaged in the 50-60 mark, that is why he is rated so highly. Direct comparisons are impossible, we can sit and banter all day about yes the fielding is better making it harder for the batsmen and the bowlers are a lot more aggressive, but he has a disadvantage of uncovered wickets/poor bat quality etc etc, it is all conjecture and hypothises. But until someone comes along so far ahead of those they play against i see it hard for Bradman to be toppled.

""if you reset standards and the no.of opposition and their competitveness to what they were back then in the 30s then there is a good chance of that happening .... but there is no doubt that DGB would have be less prolific had he played today. "" There will be no resetting of standards, these stats can only occur at the beginning or end of a games history imho. ""but there is no doubt that DGB would have be less prolific had he played today."" This is conjecture, all possibilities point to it being correct but there is that unknowable element as it is just that .... conjecture, Hussey averages 68, could Bradman, with modern equipment and massive training regimes averaged more ... less ... how much more or less, a guy that averaged so far superior to his contemporaries with access to modern training regimes, fitness, equipment, its anyones guess. As for the Sehwag thing, he's made good runs on flat tracks in India, hell Jaffer made a 100 or 2 on some tracks and he failed horribly in Aust, in fact he was pretty much a joke. Does conjecture have a place? If so did not SMG face the WI pace attack, does it really matter what runs Sehwag scores at what rate, he did not face the greats of the WI bowling attack. This is where the issue arises for cross generation players. Curtly Ambrose Ave ~ 24.12 SR ~ 41.5 Brett Lee Ave ~ 22.95 SR ~ 29.2 Michael Holding Ave ~ 21.36 SR ~ 38.5 Shane Bond Ave ~ 19.32 SR ~ 27.5 Maclolm Marshall Ave ~ 26.96 SR ~ 45.7 Shaun Tait Ave ~ 23.45 SR ~ 25.7 Joel Garner Ave ~ 18.81 SR ~ 36.5 Shoaib Akhtar Ave ~ 23.20 SR ~ 29.9 one might argue the WI pace attack is not as good as the modern day quicks of Brett Lee, Shoaib Akhtar, Shane Bond, Dale Steyn based on stats, people who watched that era of cricket may beg to differ, and argue that they were the best and modern day bowlers are a watered down joke. Hell theres still arguments that Thompson was faster than Akhtar despite Thommo's fastest delivery in recorded nets being 147kph and Akhtars being above 160kph, but Thommo didnt have access to the modern training regimes of bowlers and gym sessions, he just bowled, and nothing more. Comparisons i feel can only be made with contemporaries, but in analysis no-one ....... no-one, stands out even remotely as much as Bradman does. Wisden takes im sure a lot of things into consideration, but an average of 40-50 runs over your contemporaries is nothing to dismiss, especially over the course of an amazing combined total of 286 FC and Test matches averaging 95+. Look at Warne's stats wasnt he rated the 5th or 6th best cricketer ever in Wisdon, why?

Quote by Chorazin Reto View Post I swear i will come onto this forum in a couple days time when Irfan Pathan has achieved some milestone and there will be threads comparing him with Sir Garfield Sobers and actually saying he is better than Sobers or some such rubbish. This poster is seriously deluded. We all know that Pathan is a far far better all rounder than Gary Sobers - probably about 1000000 times better. I mean, has Gary Sobers ever scored at a strike rate of above 175 in an international?

Quote by Chorazin Reto View Post I swear i will come onto this forum in a couple days time when Irfan Pathan has achieved some milestone and there will be threads comparing him with Sir Garfield Sobers and actually saying he is better than Sobers or some such rubbish. This poster is seriously deluded. We all know that Pathan is a far far better all rounder than Gary Sobers - probably about 1000000 times better. I mean, has Gary Sobers ever scored at a strike rate of above 175 in an international?
:icflove::icflove::icflove::icflove::icflove:

^^ Bradman did face ordinary bowlers most of the time, but there's not even a single player in the history of the game who averaged 75+ against ordinary attack. http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/content/records/284199.html Most modern greats only average close to 60-65 when facing domestic bowling. Surely, the Indian domestic bowling is not of the highest standards. Bradman used to make a mincemeat of poor bowling (200, 175 avg against Ind and SA), less than mediocre bowling (90+ domestic) and mediocre bowling (90+ against Eng, WI). He surely didnt have the best technique but there's no doubt that he is easily the player who made the most of his talent (which can't be said about a lot of modern greats).

Yes we are much more smarter than our great grandfathers . During their time there was no competition,life was not as complicated .They have much more easier life .Have we born at their time we would have much better jobs.. What sort of a comparison is this ? Geez .Each and every era is different .I hate it when one says ''what would have been had some one born in the 50s.

Bradman is a statistical aberration not seen in any sport ever..... It is indeed true that the bowling's better, but so are the bats, the training, the protection(imagine Sehwag getting almost killed by someone like Contractor was by Griffith and what mortal fear a cricket ball induces in you without the assortment of pads & helmets of today), the rules(the height rule, the front foot rule, etc).... The point is he outdistanced his peers by almost twice and no one can say that today.... It is impossible to predict how Bradman would have done today; we just can't transform Bradman from the 30s in a time-machine and put him in today's game; just as it is disingenous to say Tendulkar would have massacred the bowling of the 30s(since we are assuming the presence of a time machine); the point is would Tendulkar have massacred the bowling of the 30s if he worn born in the 1910s? I predict that Sehwag will go as a statistical great and probably as Top3 in the Indian Test pantheon(SMG, SRT, VS) but a valid comparison does not exist between Sehwag & a guy like Bradman.... If a modern batter were to average about 70 for a career of 100 Tests, I'd say he's pretty close to Bradman(giving 30 off for supposedly p.i.s.s poor bowling/conditions/lack of variety of yesteryear) and not until then....

Bradman averaged 57 in the Bodyline series at a SR of 75..... Yes much less than his career average but not too shabby for a guy shocked by the hostility.....

nd you doubt that why ? Heres a list of bowling that DGB and SRT faced ... is the List-1 anywhere near to that of List 2 ? http://www.indiancricketfans.com/sho...6&postcount=33
You are again transforming SRT from the 90s to the 30s in a time machine. He wouldn't have had Achrekar, the relentless match practice, baptism by fire by the 2 Ws etc... Imagine SRT being coached & learning cricket in the 20s as any other boy and then do that stuff. Grant Tendulkar a 20% advantage over the greatest pupils of the time. You'd still find him wanting or less than DGB. The 70 average was just seemed a nice compromise between Bradman's 100 and the early 50s of today's great players..... BB, you are again assuming the same Bradman from the 30s would be facing the bowlers of today (when you postulate based on stats that he'd average atmost 50-60), discounting the fact that he'd receive modern training, bowling machines, fitness etc....