India vs SA 1st Test [PostMortem]

Guest Hiten.

Guest Hiten.

Its a segment of the new show Dial C for cricket. [ame=http://www.dailymotion.com/blue_brigade/video/8243265]Video Dial_C - cricket, neo, dialc - Dailymotion Share Your Videos@@AMEPARAM@@value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x4wojl@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x4wojl[/ame] Excerpts of the video

• Aamir Sohail's view on the test match.
  • Discussion on whether or not the pitch was prepared for IPL or Test match.

• Javagal's view on RP's selection. RP's view on the pitch.

Do you guys agree that this pitch was particularly prepared for TEST cricket and not IPL ?

If I'll do the postmortem, I won't care for any of the issues listed above. Who cares what the pitch was prepared for!! It was a terrible test match pitch with nothing in it for the bowlers. Yet the ominous signs are that the South African batsmen batted as well as bowled better than us, with a more disciplined bowling and batting presentation. Sehwag apart, India's show was ordinary in batting, seam bowling terrible, fielding not even worth mentioning and the entire middle order failing. Adding to that, Sachin won't be playing in the next test and even Kumble is doubtful. I hope Kumble recovers or else, it'll be a blow India won't recover from. India should go with Pathan, Ishant and Sreeshanth/RPS in the next test with Dhoni batting at #6. It will be a litmus test for Dhoni. He failed miserably in Australia as far as batting is concerned. If he fails to collar Steyn and co even on Indian tracks, then it'll be a matter of grave concern. All in all, SA is looking much better than India, at the moment.

If I'll do the postmortem, I won't care for any of the issues listed above. Who cares what the pitch was prepared for!! It was a terrible test match pitch with nothing in it for the bowlers. Yet the ominous signs are that the South African batsmen batted as well as bowled better than us, with a more disciplined bowling and batting presentation. Sehwag apart, India's show was ordinary in batting, seam bowling terrible, fielding not even worth mentioning and the entire middle order failing. Adding to that, Sachin won't be playing in the next test and even Kumble is doubtful. I hope Kumble recovers or else, it'll be a blow India won't recover from. India should go with Pathan, Ishant and Sreeshanth/RPS in the next test with Dhoni batting at #6. It will be a litmus test for Dhoni. He failed miserably in Australia as far as batting is concerned. If he fails to collar Steyn and co even on Indian tracks, then it'll be a matter of grave concern. All in all, SA is looking much better than India, at the moment.
Well said.

Over the last two years, the Indians have been the masters of the draw. Of the 26 Tests they have played during this period, 50% have ended in a stalemate. The percentage is easily the highest among all teams. Pakistan is next with 40%, while Australia are at the bottom of the list with just one draw - against India, as you'd expect - in 17 matches. Of the 13 draws involving India, four have been at home [out of seven matches], while nine have happened overseas [out of 19].

Guest Hiten.
funny' date=' because SA was the one looked like losing it. India were always in control.[/quote'] Thats why the concern my friend. We managed to pull out a draw out of a win situation. Which is why most of us have been gutted by our defensive (or perhaps lack of aggression) despite being in a commendable position.

>Thats why the concern my friend. We managed to pull out a draw out of a win situation. Which is why most of us have been gutted by our defensive (or perhaps lack of aggression) despite being in a commendable position. totally wrong. We were in driving seat thanks to Sehwag, our overall run rate was still above 4 and scoring at that rate and scoring over 600 runs should not be termed as defensive. Innit? Sehwag, Tendulkar, Dravid, Gangs, Dhoni all got out due to aggresive shots. Draw was fair result, if we had pushed too much, we would have needed Kumble to bowl, if kumble had bowled we would have lost him for the series.

Exactly Perfectly precisely accurately RIGHT
I am not sure how can u conclude abt MSD been a great concern for Test... I agree he can do much better. For MSD pitch is not a problem as he has batted well in the CB series ODI's facing Lee and Co. I think in due course of time he would adapt himself in the longer version of the game.
funny' date=' because SA was the one looked like losing it. India were always in control.[/quote'] Really funny. Because I felt India were always under pressure and while batting South Africans looked much more secure and quite a number of their batters performed well, in contrast to India where just the top three succeeded and the rest failed. Likewise in their bowling, their seamers were among wickets despite the dead pitch while ours returned empty handed!! They didn't drop even one catch while we dropped a few. Wonder which team was in control!!
I am not sure how can u conclude abt MSD been a great concern for Test... I agree he can do much better. For MSD pitch is not a problem as he has batted well in the CB series ODI's facing Lee and Co. I think in due course of time he would adapt himself in the longer version of the game.
I hope you know the difference between tests and ODIs. It is his test batting abroad which has come under severe scrutiny and not even staunchest of Dhoni supporters can ignore that. Or if you think he has been good in tests, then please give a reason why he has failed in batting in tests in Australia, England and SA.

To be honest , I feel Dhoni is the most over rated cricketer , people are giving him too much credit for cb series, he batted so slow for a batsman who is supposed to finish the innings strong , he was in good enough form to be third highest scorer but his strike rate was just 73, in the tests he failed miserable with bat , for India to go with five bowlers options in tests they need Dhoni to bat as a front line batsman. Micheal Vaughan won the series against NZ but he didnt do well as a batsman and there are talks of dropping him ,so why is Dhoni getting a pass for his failures to contribute with his bat, this is not mike Brearley era when captain is in the side just for his captaincy, this test match was tailor made for Dhoni to show his batting on flat pitch with no pressure at all , he looked so out of sorts against their bowling. The fast bowlers are getting lot of flak for not showing up in this match rightly so, Dravid for not scoring fast and why is Dhoni getting a pass for his abject failure with the bat.