Vinoo Mankad

zen

1 hour ago, zen said:

If I am forced to seek out a cricketer similar to Mankad in the modern era esp. based on impact for his team, one-man army qualities, and bowling spin, it would probably be Sanath Jayasuriya (esp. in LOIs), a legend in SL, a player known for his impact and looked beyond whatever his stats are. If Jayasuriya played for India, he would probably be in contention to be India's greatest AR too. Jayasuriya though played for a much stronger team than Mankad's India. 

Some time ago there was a thread here suggesting that Ross Taylor is as good or better than Viv Richards based on #s. In ODIs, Kohli and Rohit have better averages than Tendulkar. 

Agreed, no comparison: Mankad didn't have Vaas-Murali. Even Zoysa was better than the supporting "pacers" we had.

I would rate Mankad more than Sanath in Tests. He was a frontline bowler and frontline batter (his avg as opener is 40 or so). Jayasuria wasn't much of a bowler.

In LOIs, obviously Sanath is a legend.

18 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Agreed, no comparison: Mankad didn't have Vaas-Murali. Even Zoysa was better than the supporting "pacers" we had.

I would rate Mankad more than Sanath in Tests. He was a frontline bowler and frontline batter (his avg as opener is 40 or so). Jayasuria wasn't much of a bowler.

In LOIs, obviously Sanath is a legend.

Based on the challenges and era that Mankad played in, along with accounting for a variety of conditions, I perceive him as a 40+ averaging batsman and a 30 averaging bowler (on rank turners, of course, he would average much less) 

Edited by zen
Just now, zen said:

Based on the challenges and era that Mankad played in, along with accounting for a variety of conditions, I perceive him as a 40+ averaging batsman and a 30 averaging bowler (on rank turners, of course, he would average much less) 

he would have an avg of lower than 30 in bowling: just think about him operating on the rank turners we served up to SA 4-5 yrs ago; to Oz in 2017; and now to Eng in 2020. I cannot judge the batting since he was moved too much up and down the order.