Gearing up for Kanpur

Feed

SA-India Test under threat Militant threats in Kanpur have put security officials on high alert for the upcoming Test. More... SA-India Test under threat April 09 2008 at 03:54PM New Delhi - Security will be increased for the third test between India and South Africa in Kanpur, police said on Wednesday after reports that militants planned to target the game. The CNN-IBN news channel quoted unnamed police sources in New Delhi as saying they had information that Islamic militants may try to carry out an attack in Kanpur. Vikram Singh, the police chief in India's Uttar Pradesh state, where Kanpur is located, declined to comment on the threats, but said there would be extra security for the game. "We are taking no chances and all possible precautions have been taken to ensure a safe cricket match at Kanpur," he told CNN-IBN. Singh said police would deploy extra manpower, equipment and technology and called on the public to "feel free to watch the match in a relaxed atmosphere." The New Delhi police spokesman was not immediately available for comment. India had been hit by several terror attacks in recent years, including the July 2006 Mumbai train blasts that killed more than 200 people -attacks India blames on Pakistani-backed militants. South Africa leads India 1-0, going into third and final test starting Friday.

Munaf Patel, who has replaced the out of form pacer RP Singh, has joined the team and was sweating it out at the nets. But there was no sign of his pace colleague Ishant Sharma, who has still not joined the side.
MP and IS, poor guys...their bad days are ahead on slow tracks of India...but, its a real test ahead of them. Come on guys...pitne ke liye hojao ready!

Threats made to final India-SA Test

Graeme Smith was the first South African to spot a telecast on CNN-IBN that said that two terrorist groups were aiming to disrupt the third and final Test between India and South Africa, starting on Friday. He informed manager Logan Naidoo, who is also the vice-president of Cricket SA (CSA). The South African tour officials in turn informed CSA and intelligence agencies. The players were "jittery" and discussed abandoning the tour. Naidoo said: "We needed to keep cool heads when the news broke. We informed the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), who assured us of our safety and that they would double the security around our hotel and at the stadium when the Test begins. "This was relayed to the players to calm their nerves - it obviously is a serious matter, but as guests of the BCCI we would like to believe everything will be fine." The Indian government has also stepped in to save the tour. Naidoo confirmed that South African intelligence agencies and Bob Nichols Security Operations - the South African squad's security personnel - were monitoring the situation. Naidoo revealed this was the second threat on the month-long South African tour of India. "Being a second threat within a month means that someone is becoming a little desperate. We don't want to ignore it this time around. We are being guided by the BCCI, the Indian government and the local security forces. We hope this doesn't escalate into something that will force us to abandon the tour," Naidoo said
link I dont think presently any cricket board has balls to cancel a tour of India ...

I'm not convinced about the dust bowl tactic. Anyone remember India giving a 5 fer to Clarke when under pressure. I reckon any bowler can pose a threat to India when they are less confident and are down and out. I suspect the dust bowl will have adverse effect on our faster bowlers that did a great job in Australia. I would have rather liked to see a dust bowl prepared in the first match than the last one.

>>I'm not convinced about the dust bowl tactic. Anyone remember India giving a 5 fer to Clarke when under pressure. I reckon any bowler can pose a threat to India when they are less confident and are down and out. I suspect the dust bowl will have adverse effect on our faster bowlers that did a great job in Australia. I would have rather liked to see a dust bowl prepared in the first match than the last one. you got to be ruthless, SA pacers are in good form and ours are coming off injury, so you got bet on spinners. Thats only way to go

>>I'm not convinced about the dust bowl tactic. Anyone remember India giving a 5 fer to Clarke when under pressure. I reckon any bowler can pose a threat to India when they are less confident and are down and out. I suspect the dust bowl will have adverse effect on our faster bowlers that did a great job in Australia. I would have rather liked to see a dust bowl prepared in the first match than the last one. you got to be ruthless, SA pacers are in good form and ours are coming off injury, so you got bet on spinners. Thats only way to go
Isn't it the spinners that are injured? Both Anil Kumble and Bhajji are not 100% fit. Ishant, RP, Munaf, Sresanth and Irfan are all fit. Simply put Indians don't trust their faster bowlers to perform and they reckon Saffies struggle against spin. I do not think Saffies struggle against spin. Also they have played a lot of cricket in sub continent over the last year. I love to be proved wrong but it's not looking bright for India at the moment. If the Indian batsmen are not ready face Saffie bowlers in India they cannot compete with them anywhere else. From being world beaters India are showing signs of a mediocre side. Neither there is trust in fast bowling options or the batting.

>I do not think Saffies struggle against spin. Also they have played a lot of cricket in sub continent over the last year. you must be kidding, Saffies were struggling against good spin bowling. Bhajji got them in quick succession in not so spin friendly pitch, Now just imagine what will happen on real turner. Except Amla and to some extent Kallis none of them have decent technique against spin

India set to trash five-bowler theory India are all set to bid the five-bowler theory a goodbye for the Kanpur Test. With the pitch at the Green Park expected to break faster than expected, the Indian think-tank is seriously considering playing Yuvraj Singh in place of all-rounder Irfan Pathan. Yuvraj is expected to be brought in to bolster a batting which came apart at Ahmedabad in the second Test. Apart from Yuvraj, fast bowler Ishant Sharma is all expected to make the XI in place of RP Singh (excluded from Kanpur Test). As of now these are the two main changes in the playing XI from the last Test. Injured captain Anil Kumble is still a doubtful starter and may not feature when the playing XI is drawn up. Kumble suffers from a groin injury and has also picked up a back problem. If Kumble does not play, MS Dhoni will lead India for the first time in Test cricket. Teenaged leggie Piyush Chawla is expected to make the cut if Kumble misses out. Kumble is pushing himself hard to make the XI but it is increasingly looking unlikely. The selectors are keen that Kumble not risk himself by playing if he is half-fit. They are hoping that this would send a message across to all concerned. What is keeping Kumble going is the fact that the track appears half-baked and is just like what the Indian Test captain has thrived on. http://www.cricketnirvana.com/news/international/2008/April/news-20080410-202.html