Lets have Dhoni clear up this mess : test captaincy debut

jf1gp_1

When Dravid decided to step down as Indian captain, we needed a 20-20 team. With all the seniors deciding to skip the T20 WC the job of captaining the side was given to Dhoni over a much senior Yuvraj or even returning Sehwag and Bhaji. So what does Dhoni do with a young team he wins T20 WC. On to the ODIs against Aus/ Pak and the job again went to Dhoni, who didnt succeed at first but then won us the VB series by beating Aus in final. Now at home 1-0 down no tendulkar no kumble, with ex captains like Dravid and Ganguly in team, seniors like VVS, Sehwag even Bhaji guess who got the dirty job. Ofcourse Dhoni. So when in trouble throw it at Dhoni YET people have the balls to say throw him out of test side.

When Dravid decided to step down as Indian captain, we needed a 20-20 team. With all the seniors deciding to skip the T20 WC the job of captaining the side was given to Dhoni over a much senior Yuvraj or even returning Sehwag and Bhaji. So what does Dhoni do with a young team he wins T20 WC. On to the ODIs against Aus/ Pak and the job again went to Dhoni, who didnt succeed at first but then won us the VB series by beating Aus in final. Now at home 1-0 down no tendulkar no kumble, with ex captains like Dravid and Ganguly in team, seniors like VVS, Sehwag even Bhaji guess who got the dirty job. Ofcourse Dhoni. So when in trouble throw it at Dhoni YET people have the balls to say throw him out of test side.
well he is the captain of odi side.. and will become the captain of tests as soon as jumbo retires...stop god damn whining he was given capainship over yuvi cus he was more responsible... sehwag/bhajji were back.. sehwag is in and out of odi side dude..cant just make ppl coming back captain.. what dumb **** would that be

Dhoni impresses in Test captaincy debut Anand Vasu, Hindustan Times Kanpur, April 12, 2008 First Published: 01:54 IST(12/4/2008) Last Updated: 02:06 IST(12/4/2008) Four years ago Mahendra Singh Dhoni was a mere novelty in Indian domestic cricket, a long-haired young man from Ranchi who liked to hit the ball as hard as humanly possible. Already captain of the Twenty20 and ODI teams, he on Friday, became the first wicketkeeper to lead India in a Test match. The job presented to Dhoni was not massively challenging on the tactical front. On a rank turner, the script was a straightforward one: attack with all spinners and use fast bowlers in short, sharp bursts. The challenge for Dhoni came from the pressure the situation brought. Being 0-1 down and without the services of Anil Kumble, missing only his seventh Test from injury, was not an ideal situation in which to take over the reins. This was the first time since 1990 that India played a Test at home without both Sachin Tendulkar and Kumble. While Kumble's injury meant the three-spinner trick was shelved, Dhoni made good use of his part-timers. There are days when a captain can try various different things and taste little success, but when experiments come off it's the skipper who looks good. Dhoni's move to bring Yuvraj Singh on ahead of Virender Sehwag almost paid instant dividends. Yuvraj had two close lbw shouts against Graeme Smith turned down in his very first over. It's a different matter that he finally got his man, and it turned out to be the most important wicket of the day, with Smith top scoring. When Dhoni finally turned to Sehwag, it was another stroke that paid off. Ashwell Prince had stood in India's way for close to two hours and when Sehwag nailed him with a quicker ball, it gave India an entry into the tail. One day is no time to make judgments on a player's ability to lead a team but it can give you a few helpful pointers. When Rahul Dravid stepped down from the ODI captaincy and the selectors decided to give Dhoni the job it was in the full understanding that Kumble, who is already 37, would not be able to do the job in Tests in the long term. For now, though, there’s little doubt that Dhoni's just standing in for Kumble. Although no formal appointment has been made it is understood that the selectors were not looking for a change at least till the end of the calendar year. However, with Dhoni having already rung in the changes in the ODI team, having dispensed with the services of Rahul Dravid and Sourav Ganguly for younger, fresher legs, cricketers on the wrong side of 30 will be watching his every move with keen interest. ------------------------------------------------------ So guys, what do you all think about his captaincy in the one inning so far? I thought he was little too aggressive earlier on, which meants we gave few valuable runs quite cheaply to their openers. But with the crippled fielding side we have at the moment, he did well since post lunch session. Also I liked his juggling of bowling and using Stee just sparingly because it is evident that he is not fully fit. The use of part-timers was good too. The only thing which blemished him was his getting out in such an irresponsible way when needed to bat on and on with patience. Your comments?

he has a better rapport with the team (especially youngsters) and he gets maximum from the youngsters .. I think after this series make him the full time captain ...
Nah. I think Kumble ought to be the captain until he himself retires. Kumble deserves that respect. There's no doubt in my mind that if captaincy is given to Dhoni after this series, then Kumble will retire. It will also mean that the selectors/BCCI thinks that Kumble was a failure as a captain, which he most certainly wasn't.
Nah. I think Kumble ought to be the captain until he himself retires. Kumble deserves that respect. There's no doubt in my mind that if captaincy is given to Dhoni after this series' date=' then Kumble will retire. It will also mean that the selectors/BCCI thinks that Kumble was a failure as a captain, which he most certainly wasn't.[/quote'] I dont think Kumble should feel offended .. and I also dont understand this talk of respect in cricket when it comes to senior players .. What has respect got to do with the XI playing .. Its a very common problem in pakistani cricket as the seniors are always worried about the respect. Its a job when there is someone else who does a better job then he gets the role. Kumble has given everything he has to the Indian cricket but if Dhoni gets more out of the youngsters then he deserves to be the captain ...
I dont think Kumble should feel offended .. and I also dont understand this talk of respect in cricket when it comes to senior players .. What has respect got to do with the XI playing .. Its a very common problem in pakistani cricket as the seniors are always worried about the respect. Its a job when there is someone else who does a better job then he gets the role. Kumble has given everything he has to the Indian cricket but if Dhoni gets more out of the youngsters then he deserves to be the captain ...
He has never been given his due for everything he's contributed to Indian cricket. Though he is a spin bowler, he has been our strike bowler so many times. What do I mean by respect? He's been honest enough with himself that when he feels he can no longer add to Indian cricket, he will quit himself. That is what I mean by respect. There is no reason for anyone not to respond to Kumble as they do to Dhoni, btw. In the limited overs format, he's an instinctive captain and he deserves that role. Here though, I still feel Kumble is the best captain right now.
He has never been given his due for everything he's contributed to Indian cricket. Though he is a spin bowler' date=' he has been our strike bowler so many times. What do I mean by respect? He's been honest enough with himself that when he feels he can no longer add to Indian cricket, he will quit himself. That is what I mean by respect. There is no reason for anyone not to respond to Kumble as they do to Dhoni, btw. In the limited overs format, he's an instinctive captain and he deserves that role. Here though, I still feel Kumble is the best captain right now.[/quote'] Agree but in this series it seemed like the team wasnt motivated in the first 2 tests but that could be because of captaincy , selection , senior junior divide , injuries , IPL or anything else..
cuz ponting is the regular captain...duh
he wasnt even in India for the first 2 tests ... didnt play first 3 tests .. Gilli worked his ass off .. and Ponting couldnt ask him to come and lift the trophy .. dont care who was the official skipper but it was Gilli under whom the Aussies won 2-0 ... Its all about giving respect !!!!!