Warne and spirit of cricket

King

I think this topic needs a revisit considering Warne is going around teaching fellow cricketers about spirit of cricket. Lest Ganguly requested the umpire to go to the 3rd umpire but Warne on field questioned Aleem Dar's decision and in fact asked Aleem Dar to refer again to the LBW rule i.e he was teaching the umpire his job. It's a shame he did this in an international cricket game and as usual the international match referee found no problems whatsoever with Warne's outburst. Read the following : http://www.smh.com.au/news/Cricket/Warnes-way-a-slip-of-the-tongue-a-gun-of-the-slips/2004/11/19/1100838228205.html Shane Warne will not be censured for some forthright criticism directed at umpire Aleem Dar during an unusual spell as he strained to snuff out New Zealand's tailenders yesterday. But the champion leg spinner is on the verge of making history for an aspect of his game beyond his bowling - his almost flawless catching in the slips. Warne took his 99th Test catch along with four wickets at the Gabba yesterday, and is poised during this match to join the elite group of Australians - among them Mark Waugh, Mark Taylor and Greg Chappell - who have taken 100 catches in Tests. It was, however, a bright spot on an otherwise troubled day for the world record-holder, whose questioning of Dar's knowledge of the lbw rule was picked up by microphones and was audible during ABC Radio's national broadcast. As New Zealand's tailenders lifted them from 7-250 to 353, Dar ruled that two of Warne's deliveries were wides. After the Pakistani umpire had provided clarification of the leg-side regulations, Warne turned to Dar and said: "Have a look at the lbw rule, too, as well, OK?" "He [Dar] said: 'You worry about your job and I'll worry about mine,"' Warne explained later. "I said, 'No problem. I was a little bit disappointed about the wides but that's his call if he thought it was negative bowling. I also asked him if he was going to have a look at the laws maybe he should just have another look at the leg-before rule." Warne said his suggestion was based on previous matches, and match referee Mike Procter said no action would be taken. Warne prides himself on all facets of his game, not only the bowling that has now earned him 545 Test wickets. The sure hands with which he snaffled an edge from Daniel Vettori, just prior to his conversation with Dar, continue a long tradition of slick operators to have graced Australian slip cordons over the decades. Former captain Mark Taylor, who has taken more catches in the field than any Australian other than Waugh jnr, actually believes Australia's overall catching standards have slipped recently. "It can change a game and that's something Mark Waugh did very well, by hanging onto a half chance that 19 times out of 20 goes through," said Taylor. The Australian tradition stretches back to Bob Simpson, while Ian Botham and the West Indies of the '80s and early '90s also showed the way. More recently, India's Rahul Dravid has excelled and Warne's 35-year-old reflexes have plainly not waned. "Warney is a good slipper, a very safe, sound slipper," said Taylor. "I think the fact he played Aussie Rules as a kid has certainly helped him, and he looks forward to the challenge of fielding at first slip ... If he'd fielded at slip off his own bowling he'd probably have 130 by now." Warne has moved progressively to first slip after the retirements of Allan Border and Taylor, and will race Ricky Ponting to the 100 milestone. "I have enjoyed being in the slips - we work hard at it - and when you've got our bowlers you're always in the game," he said. Warne eventually had the defiant Kyle Mills caught at slip, and finished with figures of 4-97 after removing Chris Martin. But his eventful early spell included two bizarre bouncers, the first of which was deftly ducked by century-maker Jacob Oram and the second hooked for a single.

I think this topic needs a revisit considering Warne is going around teaching fellow cricketers about spirit of cricket. Lest Ganguly requested the umpire to go to the 3rd umpire but Warne on field questioned Aleem Dar's decision and in fact asked Aleem Dar to refer again to the LBW rule i.e he was teaching the umpire his job. It's a shame he did this in an international cricket game and as usual the international match referee found no problems whatsoever with Warne's outburst. Read the following : http://www.smh.com.au/news/Cricket/Warnes-way-a-slip-of-the-tongue-a-gun-of-the-slips/2004/11/19/1100838228205.html Shane Warne will not be censured for some forthright criticism directed at umpire Aleem Dar during an unusual spell as he strained to snuff out New Zealand's tailenders yesterday. But the champion leg spinner is on the verge of making history for an aspect of his game beyond his bowling - his almost flawless catching in the slips. Warne took his 99th Test catch along with four wickets at the Gabba yesterday, and is poised during this match to join the elite group of Australians - among them Mark Waugh, Mark Taylor and Greg Chappell - who have taken 100 catches in Tests. It was, however, a bright spot on an otherwise troubled day for the world record-holder, whose questioning of Dar's knowledge of the lbw rule was picked up by microphones and was audible during ABC Radio's national broadcast. As New Zealand's tailenders lifted them from 7-250 to 353, Dar ruled that two of Warne's deliveries were wides. After the Pakistani umpire had provided clarification of the leg-side regulations, Warne turned to Dar and said: "Have a look at the lbw rule, too, as well, OK?" "He [Dar] said: 'You worry about your job and I'll worry about mine,"' Warne explained later. "I said, 'No problem. I was a little bit disappointed about the wides but that's his call if he thought it was negative bowling. I also asked him if he was going to have a look at the laws maybe he should just have another look at the leg-before rule." Warne said his suggestion was based on previous matches, and match referee Mike Procter said no action would be taken. Warne prides himself on all facets of his game, not only the bowling that has now earned him 545 Test wickets. The sure hands with which he snaffled an edge from Daniel Vettori, just prior to his conversation with Dar, continue a long tradition of slick operators to have graced Australian slip cordons over the decades. Former captain Mark Taylor, who has taken more catches in the field than any Australian other than Waugh jnr, actually believes Australia's overall catching standards have slipped recently. "It can change a game and that's something Mark Waugh did very well, by hanging onto a half chance that 19 times out of 20 goes through," said Taylor. The Australian tradition stretches back to Bob Simpson, while Ian Botham and the West Indies of the '80s and early '90s also showed the way. More recently, India's Rahul Dravid has excelled and Warne's 35-year-old reflexes have plainly not waned. "Warney is a good slipper, a very safe, sound slipper," said Taylor. "I think the fact he played Aussie Rules as a kid has certainly helped him, and he looks forward to the challenge of fielding at first slip ... If he'd fielded at slip off his own bowling he'd probably have 130 by now." Warne has moved progressively to first slip after the retirements of Allan Border and Taylor, and will race Ricky Ponting to the 100 milestone. "I have enjoyed being in the slips - we work hard at it - and when you've got our bowlers you're always in the game," he said. Warne eventually had the defiant Kyle Mills caught at slip, and finished with figures of 4-97 after removing Chris Martin. But his eventful early spell included two bizarre bouncers, the first of which was deftly ducked by century-maker Jacob Oram and the second hooked for a single.
First of all IMO both issues are different. Warne is not gesturing for third umpire (even after a decision is made). He's giving his opinion on the issue, so to speak. Secondly, even if you think Warne has incidents in the past, I feel that past is past, and we shouldn't say "They have such incidents, so its ok for us to have such incidents" I'm a true-blue Indian just like you, but I can't help but think that Warne was right today. The sigining of abiding by the spirit of the game in the opening ceremony has become meaningless...

I'm a true-blue Indian just like you, but I can't help but think that Warne was right today. The sigining of abiding by the spirit of the game in the opening ceremony has become meaningless...
here i think Warney is losing sportsmanship. he ain't showing any sign of a true sportsmanship person either if he is whining to the media about this. hence, the match fixer or not, Hansi Cronje, will always get a credit for being a sporting captain on the field for this..

here i think Warney is losing sportsmanship. he ain't showing any sign of a true sportsmanship person either if he is whining to the media about this. hence, the match fixer or not, Hansi Cronje, will always get a credit for being a sporting captain on the field for this..
Warne has to stand up to the media. It was not just the question of whining. One of his team-mates was accused of false claim for a catch. It was captain's duty to come to his defence. He moaned too long and made it look like whining is another thing.

how? did he apply for a job with the local press either as a reporter or as critic? I believe he is an interesting cricketer, entertainer and magical spinner. Sure to say that Hansie Cronje was a lively and sporting captain.

I guess you couple are missing the point. Warne commented about breaching of "Spirit of cricket". That person that never held the spirit of cricket in good regard has no right to comment on fellow cricketers with regards to the spirit of cricket. When he does, he's just being a hypocrite.

I guess you couple are missing the point. Warne commented about breaching of "Spirit of cricket". That person that never held the spirit of cricket in good regard has no right to comment on fellow cricketers with regards to the spirit of cricket. When he does' date=' he's just being a hypocrite.[/quote'] O yeah, on the other side of the coin he was into narcotic drugs, boozing, illegitimate relationships; surely in the context of "Spirit of Cricket", he has no right to point towards anyone. Above all, he pointed towards SG who is fully filled with the spirit of cricket from inside. Inspite of the fact that he was dropped, he came up strongly and boldly for the claim. Warney has no match with Dada in this case, thus Warney had no right to mention about breaching of "Spirit of Cricket".....

O yeah' date=' on the other side of the coin he was into narcotic drugs, boozing, illegitimate relationships; surely in the context of "Spirit of Cricket", he has no right to point towards anyone. Above all, he pointed towards SG who is fully filled with the spirit of cricket from inside. Inspite of the fact that he was dropped, he came up strongly and boldly for the claim. Warney has no match with Dada in this case, thus Warney had no right to mention about breaching of "Spirit of Cricket".....[/quote'] Looks like you don't grasp the point he was banned from cricket for taking performance enhancement drugs. That is not breaching "Spirit of cricket" for you. The match fixing scandal he was into along with Mark Waugh doesn't mean he breached the "Spirit of cricket". Although Ganguly is arrogant and gets under the skin of the opponents as Warne used to do in his hey days he's at least not sold the game for few quick bucks to gamble. Just because Warne is one of the legends of the game he gets away with more than what he deserves. Obviously you need to take off the blinkers.

Ravi' date=' I meant the same which you have mentioned...read that post again quoted by you.[/quote'] Sorry my bad. Didn't read your first sentence well enough :nervous:. Apologies for that.

First of all IMO both issues are different. Warne is not gesturing for third umpire (even after a decision is made). He's giving his opinion on the issue, so to speak. Secondly, even if you think Warne has incidents in the past, I feel that past is past, and we shouldn't say "They have such incidents, so its ok for us to have such incidents" I'm a true-blue Indian just like you, but I can't help but think that Warne was right today. The sigining of abiding by the spirit of the game in the opening ceremony has become meaningless...
You are right both incidents are bit different. In here Mr.Warne is preaching the umpire how to do his job.Openly showing disrespect and defiance cause he thought his decision is wrong. Ganguly on the otherhand requested for a referral..he didnt say if he was out or not..he asked for a tv replay and check..it was obvious it wasn't clear and the benifit of doubt went to ganguly....end of story... so who is more worng in these two incidents.