Breaking News: Mohammed Asif caught at Dubai Airport

All are still mum on the issue.
Seriously, Dubai authorities have been able to keep a tight lid on things. They have kept him detained for about 10 days now and still haven't declared why... They have said it was contraband item and he is being detained but after that it has been just pure conjecture.
Seriously' date=' Dubai authorities have been able to keep a tight lid on things. They have kept him detained for about 10 days now and still haven't declared why... They have said it was contraband item and he is being detained but after that it has been just pure conjecture.[/quote'] Obviously there is a lot more to it than meets the eye. Talks are definitely going on at the diplomatic levels. I cant see a reason why Pakistan should not be able to secure a deportation.

Latest news says that were unpleasant altercations between custom officials and an inabriated Asif at the ariport when he was caught. That complicates the matter. If they were offended, which seems to be the case, they would be more inclined to punish him rather than send him to a land which did let Asif away with a drug incident in the past.

I would say there are two main reasons for this. 1) A lot of turmoil in Pakistani society can be traced to the Superpower game of 70s and 80s. Pakistan was the pawn that was greatly (ab)used by United States to bring down USSR in Afganistan. In lieu for Pakistani support USA flooded the country with weapons, most of which made it to Armed forces and civilians of Pakistan than Mujahideens. US support also brought recognition to the Pakistani Army rulers who had summarily dismissed the civilian government of ZA Bhutto(and executed him). US(and West) essentially turned blind eye towards Pakistani human rights to further their interest and Pakistani elite were more than happy to oblige. Essentially Pakistani society got r@ped at this stage and a lot of issues in Pakistan, if not most, can be traced to this time period. 2) Generally speaking the concept of country is not a very powerful one in Islam. Islam would put religion above nation. This means that a lot of times people tend to use this argument and care more for their own interest than their nation. One good reason why immigration is so much more in Pakistan than India. Think it this way, two great Pakistani spinners - Mushtaq Ahmed and Saqlain Mushtaq- are in line for playing for England if they get their citizenship in time. Both have made statements as to how they would like to reprsent England. Now call me cynical but I dont see an Indian player doing that anytime soon.
There is considerably more to this than what you seem to feel. Indeed, pakistan was a pawn to fight the communist adventurists that was the erstwhile Soviety Union, however, the approach adopted by Pakistan hastened its demise. Under Zia Ul Haq, to recruit fighters for the Afghan cause, madrassas were given free reign, and the Reagan administration, in its usual myopic view of the world that would eventually result in other foreign policy debacles such as Democratic Peoples Republic of Congo (Zaire), supported Zia and did indeed flood the North Western frontiers of Pakistan with weapons to fight the Soviets. However, once the Soviets were routed, and American interest wanned, it was upto the Pakistanis to check the growth of the madrassas and stem the flow of funds form the wahabis in the middle east who continue to fund these centers of religious indoctrination, something pakistani administrations have been woefully unsuccessful in. Thus the current state of affairs...
http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/story/354650.html Proceedings in Asif case to resume on June 22 Cricinfo staff June 13, 2008 Mohammad Asif's case will be taken up by the Dubai Attorney General © AFP Dubai's Attorney General will conduct an inquiry into the case involving Mohammad Asif, who has been in detention in the country for the suspected possession of an illegal substance. "Our lawyer has confirmed that Asif's case will start on June 22 and no charges have yet been lodged against him," Shafqat Naghmi, the PCB's chief operating officer, told AFP. A Dubai court had referred Asif's case to the Attorney General last Sunday after the public prosecutor had completed his investigation and made his recommendations. "We have maintained that Asif is innocent until proven guilty and all speculations on the case are unwarranted," Naghmi said. Asif had been held at the Dubai International Airport on June 1 after authorities allegedly found a banned substance in his wallet. If convicted, Asif could face a sentence of up to four years. He is also likely to face an investigation by the PCB.
However' date= once the Soviets were routed, and American interest wanned, it was upto the Pakistanis to check the growth of the madrassas and stem the flow of funds form the wahabis in the middle east who continue to fund these centers of religious indoctrination, something pakistani administrations have been woefully unsuccessful in. Thus the current state of affairs...
I wish it were that simple THX. Pakistan's political downfall starts in 1971 when it broke into two seperate countries. That single incident has to be the biggest in its entire history. The fiasco was both political as well as military. The former responsible for not sharing power with Bengalis, the latter for plundering East Pakistan as it was called then. To rub salt to the wounds after the debacle about 90,000 soldiers surrendered to India. I am sure you know all of this but it is important to bring this up to show things changed afterwards. At this time the only good sign that probably came out was ZA Bhutto managing to get back his soldiers to Pakistan without sacrificing much on his part. This made him blue eyed boy of Pakistan, much of Pakistanis liked him anyway, but made him Enemy No 1 of Pakistan Armed Forces, who were hated anyway as they were blamed for himiliating loss. And he was overthrown by Pakistani Army somewhere around 1976 I beleive. Of course arround this time Soviet Union invaded Afganistan, an action that I have never understood. What would they gain in Afganistan?? No precious resources, no strategic reasons. Regardless the invasion suddenly made Pakistan important. Specially to Uncle Sam who was more than happy to provide the country with enough ammunitions, every second or third of which would ultimately end up in hands of Pakistanis and not some Mujahideen. This was bolstered by money pouring in from Middle East as Afganistan became the land for jihad. Of course later on this meant migration of many Muslim militants into Pakistan(from everywhere in the world) in the name of Jihad. Of course USA was eager to fan this "fatwa" as it was meant to bring down USSR. Pakistan was under the Martial Law for over a decade. During which Bhutto was executed and all the political parties were banned. Many political prisoners executed. To discourage Pakistani people interest in politics anyone who was found mingling with a party was given public lashing. Long story short it basically throttled the political process. America, as it always doesn, obviously turned a blind eye to all of these. And so Pakistan basically got effed up. Pakistan gets into democracy only around late 80s, after Zia died, and was not a democracy for more than a decade anyway(before Musharraf seized power). And even in this decade military was an omnipresent force. So when you say Pakistanis could have checked the growth of fundamentalism, the question is who/how?? This is one reason why I personally rate Indian politicians of initial years. They basically created a backbone of institutions and so even though anyone tries to be Numero Uno(as Indira Gandhi did in late 70s) the system is strong enough to kick him/her out, as was very evident when Indira lost the election. xxxx

so still eating Jail food in detention center... it will be fun if asif comes to delhi...i will go to watch the match with friends in prisoners dress..with Asif Charsi printed on the front and back..:cantstop:... what a disgrace to this game... shameful... but how i am not surprised that another pakistani player disgraced the game and his country... who can forget the Ws and others being jailed in WI... pepsi cap saga... nails saga of wasim akram..and waqar..and Shoaib as well... Pakistani are all cheaters...

so still eating Jail food in detention center... it will be fun if asif comes to delhi...i will go to watch the match with friends in prisoners dress..with Asif Charsi printed on the front and back..:cantstop:... what a disgrace to this game... shameful... but how i am not surprised that another pakistani player disgraced the game and his country... who can forget the Ws and others being jailed in WI... pepsi cap saga... nails saga of wasim akram..and waqar..and Shoaib as well... Pakistani are all cheaters...
pleej tell me about the pepsi cup saga ? I dont know anything about it

yaar..during early 90s and late 80s...when we used to have Pepsi drink breaks..during matches..and a cart would come in the ground...and players would gather together to have some liquid...some players from pakistan team would scrap the surface of the ball with pepsi caps...and roughen up the ball... Imran Khan has accepted this crime in front of camera...and other bowlers also would indulge in this crime...

Guest Hiten.
it will be fun if asif comes to delhi...i will go to watch the match with friends in prisoners dress..with Asif Charsi printed on the front and back..:cantstop:...
:hysterical::hysterical: Bhai you are too much :cantstop:. You are more 'purer' Indian than amits
yaar..during early 90s and late 80s...when we used to have Pepsi drink breaks..during matches..and a cart would come in the ground...and players would gather together to have some liquid...some players from pakistan team would scrap the surface of the ball with pepsi caps...and roughen up the ball... Imran Khan has accepted this crime in front of camera...and other bowlers also would indulge in this crime...
OH i thought they did that only between deliveries ... :pepsi: