Should '83 champs be honored monetarily now?

Should '83 champs be honored monetarily now?  

1. 1.

What do you think guys? I mean these 20-20, (chaddi cricket) players earned crores, but our first WC winners barely got any money. Agreed that back then BCCI was bhikhari but now they have tons of money. In my opinion they should be honored with some handsome money. Lets see of Chaddi cricket champion team can get us in finals next time?

Guest Hiten.
ya' date=' but we should stop fixating on that ancient win.[/quote'] Yeah please. If I am not wrong ex-players are getting pensions from BCCI babus (barring Kapil). There is no need for the extra 'malai'. We have to stop praising their win again and again. Yes they won us a WC, but celebrating that victory again and again is like a step backward. We need to focus on getting more WC in the future. I am not disrespecting the WC win, but its getting a little too much by praising it every now and then.
What do you think guys? I mean these 20-20' date=' (chaddi cricket) players earned crores, but our first WC winners barely got any money. [b']Agreed that back then BCCI was bhikhari but now they have tons of money.
Thats a misnomer. BCCI was not bhikhari back then. True Indian greats won 25,000 rupees or thereabouts for being World Champion but thats because thats pretty much how the world operated in those days. You have to realize that bulk of money generated in today's game comes from media coverage. No media no money. Simple. Which is why Kerry Packer's pajama drama picked up to start with(late 70s) because it offered players security. I point it because you should realize that within 4 years(1987) India was hosting World Cup, thanks to people like NKP Salve(and not some wannabe Lalit Modi). BCCI was by no means a bhikari as you put it.
In my opinion they should be honored with some handsome money.
I would much rather not. For one, the men who brought us glory are already well into their 50s and 60s. People need money in their 20s and 30s. Not in their 60s. Secondly, how can you celebrate 1983 and not 1985(Benson & Hedges)? In fact between 83 and 86 India won quite a fair amount of Cups - World Cup, Benson & hedges, Rothmans, Asia Cup etc etc. So no reason why only one of those win can be compensated.
Lets see of Chaddi cricket champion team can get us in finals next time?
Maybe, maybe not. That will still not stop them from making money. The fault doesnt lie with them, its with the fans who make a Uthappa bigger star than Sreekanth was. xxx

Lurk bhai, BCCI's riches are because of popularity that cricket WC brought to our country. And very good point there. They indeed, won some decent tourneys back then. So that means they deserve some appreciation. Only after WC win that Indians have started taking cricket very seriously. Galli, nukkad cricket made this game very popular in the country. Even young girls, house wives also started taking interest in handsome cricketers. Thats what brought so much Ads money. All this started because of our STAR TEAM. Or at least I think so. And few thousand $$$ wont empty their bank accounts but it will send correct message to the young team that they have long way to go. Haven't won any WC, or world championship, except ICC KO.

Lurk bhai, BCCI's riches are because of popularity that cricket WC brought to our country. And very good point there. They indeed, won some decent tourneys back then. So that means they deserve some appreciation. Only after WC win that Indians have started taking cricket very seriously. Galli, nukkad cricket made this game very popular in the country. Even young girls, house wives also started taking interest in handsome cricketers. Thats what brought so much Ads money. All this started because of our STAR TEAM. Or at least I think so. And few thousand $$$ wont empty their bank accounts but it will send correct message to the young team that they have long way to go. Haven't won any WC, or world championship, except ICC KO.
?????????? I don't understand. No, mon ami, I don't. Non comprende. Nada. Zilch. Negativ. Illa. Ledhu.

The cricketers who won 83 world cup were a lot more fortunate to earn money and fame from cricket. Even though their earnings were not comparable to the current crop, they certainly made good money. BCCI should spend more money on cricketers who were before talented and famous, but they did not quite a lot. Example of those are - Solkar, Chandrasekhar, Prasanna etc.

Considering it was the silver jubilee, there should be something done indeed.

‘Lords of ’83’ relive triumph M.S.Unnikrishnan New Delhi, June 22 Kapil Dev’s “Lords of ’83†relived their epic World Cup triumph not with a game of cricket, but with a round of golf, at the JP Greens Golf resort in Greater Noida today, to set off the silver jubilee celebrations of India’s greatest sporting triumph at a memorable function organised by the UB Group and Gitanjali jewellers. Kapil Dev was overawed by the huge media presence, which he felt, was clear proof of the enduring nostalgia of India’s one and only World Cup triumph. “I never saw so many media people when we returned with the World Cupâ€, Kapil said, as he recollected some great memories of that triumph at Lord’s in the midnight of 25 June, 1983. “Kal ki baat nahin. Pachis saal purani baat hai. Safed bal a gaeâ€, Kapil said. But the legend of that success lives on. “There was euphoria when we walked onto the Lord’s balcony. The Cup was oursâ€, Kapil looked back at the historic moment. Every member of that successful squad was present at the function, barring Ravi Shastri and Dilip Vengsarkar. Kapil and Gavaskar, like in the days of yore, were the centre of attraction. Krishnamachari Srikkanth was his exuberant self while Mohinder Amarnath sat in quiet dignity. Madan Lal was busy signing autographs and giving sound bytes while Kirti Azad was seen interviewing manager of the ‘83 squad Peter Man Singh. Syed Kirmani, Roger Binny, Balwinder Singh Sandhu, Sandeep Patil, Yashpal Sharma, Sunil Valson and others sat quietly till they were called to the dais by Kapil. The team were presented a 25-carat diamond and gold studded cricket bat and ball, which will be kept on display at Lord’s on 25 June before being auctioned. The cricket ball was laser marked with signatures of all the team members and with 30-carat diamonds. UB Group chairman Vijay Mallya will host a dinner for the team at the Long Hall at Lord’s to mark the historic occasion. The proceeds of the auction will be equally shared by all the 15 members of Kapil’s Devils. When asked to name the “naughtiest†players in the dressing room, Kapil said: "Except me, all were naughty. Srikanth and Sandeep Patil had great sense of humour. But Sandeep was more seriousâ€. And Srikanth’s inability to speak Hindi, and the craze for Hindi film ‘Kranti’ were also the butt of the jokes. Though they all came in different outfits, they all got into the “team colour†for the occasion -- a military green tea-shirt with white lines. For Sunil Gavaskar, the occasion brought back endearing feelings. “I am feeling greatâ€, he noted. “Twenty-five years down the road, if the media accords the triumph such importance, it is a great recognition for that cricketing feat, and shows the popularity of the gameâ€, he added. For Srikanth, the greatest memory of the World Cup victory was Kapil Dev’s masterly unbeaten knock of 175 against Zimbabwe. “It was the greatest knock I saw in any form of cricketâ€, he said.