Talking Cricket : Malik doesn’t deserve long run as captain - Imran Khan

Feed

A captain can only earn respect if he is doing his bit as a player. Shoaib is a good cricketer and seems to have a sensible head. However, the question is, does he automatically select himself as a batsman?, asks Imran Khan. More... Malik doesn’t deserve long run as captain Imran Khan June 26, 2008 First Published: 00:43 IST(26/6/2008) Last Updated: 00:51 IST(26/6/2008) India is a young, fearless side that is led by a young fearless captain, writes Imran Khan 2008062661592101.jpgQUESTION MARK: Pakistan captain Shoaib Malik needs to prove that he merits a place in the eleven as a batsman. The Asia Cup is already underway, but the format is such that the serious business begins only a little later. The match that everybody is looking forward to is between hosts Pakistan and India on Thursday. At the starting line it seems difficult to see a final line-up without India, because they look in better shape than either Sri Lanka or Pakistan. I was impressed when I saw Mahendra Singh Dhoni in Pakistan two years ago, and he has impressed me even more in his leadership role. He now looks ready to lead the side in all forms of the game, and his teammates seem to be responding very well to him. The youngsters in the side are looking like a talented bunch, and while they did lose the final in Bangladesh, they have hardly been putting a foot wrong ever since Pakistan toured India last year. It is a young, fearless side that is lead by a young fearless captain. Different story Sadly, the same optimism cannot be shown as far as Pakistan is concerned. Right from the moment Inzamam-ul-Huq forfeited a Test match in England, there has just been a series of crises. The exit from the World Cup, drug scandals, Shoaib Akhtar’s ban and now Mohammed Asifs detention. It was wrong to ban Shoaib for five years in the first place, on grounds of indiscipline. Now, the world will be watching to see how the PCB handles Asif’s case, because possession of drugs can be seen as a far greater misdeed. Its sad that after Shoaib let himself down with indiscipline, its now the turn of Asif to go down that road. He was a truly-natural new ball bowler who just needed to work on his pace. If he had worked hard and been disciplined, he would have been the most dangerous bowler in world cricket. Instead, he is now awaiting a verdict for possessing drugs. At a time when talent is hard to find in Pakistan, Asif’s case has been a serious blow to the team. Wrong thing to do I also am not in favour of Shoaib Malik being given a two-year tenure as captain. Even when I was established as captain of the side, I was always made captain only for the series ahead. Such long-term planning is another example of how high-handed and arbitrarily cricket is run in Pakistan. A captain can only earn respect if he is doing his bit as a player. Shoaib is a good cricketer and seems to have a sensible head. However, the question is, does he automatically select himself as a batsman? Unfortunately, the answer is no, and till he rectifies that he cannot lead with authority. Misbah-ul-Huq and Salman Butt are now regulars in the side, but their repeated omission while others were getting repeated chances is another issue that needs to be investigated. Butt and Misbah are two good cricketers who merited a permanent place in the side long ago. It’s sad that they have had to wait so long for a look-in. In great form The Indian side are without Sachin Tendulkar, but with Virender Sehwag and Gautam Gambhir in such good form, the opening slot looks in good hands. Rohit Sharma also looks like a promising player, while the captain and his deputy Yuvraj Singh look in tremendous touch. Unless they play many notches below par, Indians will at least make the final of this tournament. Therefore, it’s for Pakistan and Sri Lanka to fight it out for the other slot. Pakistan have not been playing against very good opposition of late, most of their games being against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. The spectators in Karachi will now want to see if their team can beat good sides like India and Sri Lanka. (Gameplan)

India is a young, fearless side that is led by a young fearless captain
What happened to Tall and Fair, meat eating Paki Mards?...where is the Mardaanagi of Pukis gone?....Sixty years of hatred for "veggie bhindians" and still lamenting like true Paki...eh? Meanwhile's Kaptaan Maliks step-brother, called MalikBrother, is all fired up after trying medicinal herbs from the cave of Asif-- the AAG! hv4gw2.jpg

Malik doesn’t deserve long run as captain The Asia Cup is already underway, but the format is such that the serious business begins later. Everybody is looking forward to Thursday’s India-Pak match . It seems difficult to see a final without India, because they look in better shape than either Sri Lanka or Pakistan. I was impressed when I saw Mahendra Singh Dhoni in Pakistan two years ago, and he has impressed me even more as captain. He now looks ready to lead the side in all forms of the game, and his teammates seem to be responding well to him. It’s a young, fearless side led by a young and fearless man. The same optimism cannot be shown as far as Pakistan is concerned. Right from the moment Inzamam-ul Haq forfeited the Test match in England, Pakistan cricket has gone from one crises to another — World Cup exit, drug scandals, Shoaib Akhtar’s ban and now Mohammad Asif’s detention. This is what happens when institutions are not strong enough — a mini Musharaff takes on extraordinary powers and acts like a dictator. It was wrong to ban Shoaib for five years in the first place. Now, the world will be watching to see how the PCB handles Asif’s case, because drugs possession can be seen as a greater misdeed. It’s sad that after Shoaib let himself down with indiscipline, it’s now the turn of Asif. He was a truly natural new-ball bowler. If he had worked hard and been disciplined, he would have been world’s most dangerous bowler. Instead, he is now awaiting a verdict for possessing drugs. At a time when talent is hard to find in Pakistan, Asif’s case has been a serious blow to the team. I am also not in favour of Shoaib Malik being given a two-year tenure as captain. Even when I was established as captain, I was always made captain only for the series ahead. Such long-term planning is another example of how high-handed and arbitrarily cricket is run in Pakistan. A captain can only earn respect if he is doing his bit as a player. Shoaib is a good cricketer and seems to have a sensible head. However, the question is, does he automatically select himself as a batsman? Unfortunately, the answer is no, and till he changes that he cannot lead with authority. Misbah and Salman Butt deserve to be regulars, but their repeated omission while others were getting repeated chances should be investigated. http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?id=d1738670-1b58-4715-8e61-a6c631cbac06&MatchID1=4714&TeamID1=7&TeamID2=6&MatchType1=2&SeriesID1=1189&MatchID2=4713&TeamID3=8&TeamID4=14&MatchType2=2&SeriesID2=1189&PrimaryID=4714&IsCricket=true&Headline=Malik+doesn%e2%80%99t+deserve+long+run+as+captain