Discussion on ICL Players : Do ICL players deserve better?

Faisal, Do you think NZ board is so stupid that they'd have thought that BCCI won't go to the extreme to ban an ICL player from official cricket? And BCCI had never wavered in terms of their strict dealings with ICL players which they had been stating from the beginning before even one player had signed for ICL. And they had complete backing of ICC too in this matter. After all this if NZ cricket board goes on to commit a blunder, I just don't know how can one put that blame on BCCI! Despite being the most vehement critic of BCCI, even I can't do so.

Faisal, Do you think NZ board is so stupid that they'd have thought that BCCI won't go to the extreme to ban an ICL player from official cricket? And BCCI had never wavered in terms of their strict dealings with ICL players which they had been stating from the beginning before even one player had signed for ICL. And they had complete backing of ICC too in this matter. After all this if NZ cricket board goes on to commit a blunder, I just don't know how can one put that blame on BCCI! Despite being the most vehement critic of BCCI, even I can't do so.
I am sorry but you don't know the facts... You said "The players who have played for ICL knew that they'll be expelled from their domestic teams too"...NOT TRUE. "It is very good if Pak players who played for ICL are participating in the their domestic cricket too."...NOT TRUE. You also didn't know that initially both the PCB and NZCB had allowed the ICL players to do play domestic cricket but then made a U turn after BCCI showed displeasure.
Despite being the most vehement critic of BCCI' date=' even I can't do so.[/quote'] which is some what surprising because you find a way to blame BCCI on everything from an Indian defeat to an Indian player skipping the series( which is some times true)...yet in this case you are unable to distinguish obvious bullying.
I am sorry but you don't know the facts... You said "The players who have played for ICL knew that they'll be expelled from their domestic teams too"...NOT TRUE.
Very true as far as Indian players were concerned and very true as far as the pros ICL had been able to sign till the first edition because BCCI had warned its players beforehand that players signing for ICL will have no place in Indian cricket. And they'll go to every extent to expel the players from official cricket who play for the so called "rebel league'!
"It is very good if Pak players who played for ICL are participating in the their domestic cricket too."...NOT TRUE.
I generally do not have an idea about Pak domestic cricket apart from the random articles that I read or the information which Pak cricket lovers give me. So when you gave me the scorecard that showed Imran Farhat playing, I thought you were telling me that there were still some ICL players who were playing domestic cricket in Pakistan.
You also didn't know that initially both the PCB and NZCB had allowed the ICL players to do play domestic cricket but then made a U turn after BCCI showed displeasure.
Pak and NZ board were being the most stupid boards if they did not anticipate that BCCI would go till the extreme to ban the the ICL players from any official cricket. These boards can still let their players play in the domestic cricket like England has, but then they'll miss out on financial pies like some domestic teams are going to make in Champions League.
which is some what surprising because you find a way to blame BCCI on everything from an Indian defeat to an Indian player skipping the series( which is some times true)...yet in this case you are unable to distinguish obvious bullying.
I find a way to criticize BCCI because I have a reason for it. I don't do it for my whims. For Indian defeats too, I blame the players first and then find the reasons for their defeat. For example I simply can't blame the Indian players for the defeat in Australia. I have whole reason for BCCI's criticism and, I have presented the solution too which is in the cricket articles section. Here also I know that BCCI is bulling and any other board would have been so if they were providing 60% of the revenue to the game. When England and Australia had veto power, they were much much worse that what BCCI is right now. Now it is for the other boards to see what is good for them and then stand by it. If they can't, one just cannot criticise BCCI. BCCI were not the one who expelled the ICL players. It were their own respective boards. Why did PCB or NZCB not have the guts to stand like ECB did? On one hand you don't want to miss on financial pies given by BCCI and on other hand you don't want to support it either where its own existence has been challenged by a rebel league?You can't have your cake and eat it too. Sorry, but I can't see how BCCI can be faulted here!
Very true as far as Indian players were concerned and very true as far as the pros ICL had been able to sign till the first edition because BCCI had warned its players beforehand that players signing for ICL will have no place in Indian cricket. And they'll go to every extent to expel the players from official cricket who play for the so called "rebel league'!
...this was NOT the case with the other boards who allowed their players to play domestic cricket before suddenly telling them "oh sorry now you can't play".
I generally do not have an idea about Pak domestic cricket apart from the random articles that I read or the information which Pak cricket lovers give me. So when you gave me the scorecard that showed Imran Farhat playing, I thought you were telling me that there were still some ICL players who were playing domestic cricket in Pakistan.
I posted the scorecard to show that the ICL players were allowed to play domestic cricket before suddenly being thrown out of the domestic league on the orders of BCCI.
Pak and NZ board were being the most stupid boards if they did not anticipate that BCCI would go till the extreme to ban the the ICL players from any official cricket. These boards can still let their players play in the domestic cricket like England has, but then they'll miss out on financial pies like some domestic teams are going to make in Champions League..
Agree that both PCB and NZCB were the most stupid. They allowed themselves to get bullied to the extreme..NZ board in particular was the most gutless and allowed BCCI to take away Bond and suddenly ban the ICL players from domestic cricket.
I find a way to criticize BCCI because I have a reason for it. I don't do it for my whims. For Indian defeats too, I blame the players first and then find the reasons for their defeat. For example I simply can't blame the Indian players for the defeat in Australia. I have whole reason for BCCI's criticism and, I have presented the solution too which is in the cricket articles section. Here also I know that BCCI is bulling and any other board would have been so if they were providing 60% of the revenue to the game. When England and Australia had veto power, they were much much worse that what BCCI is right now. Now it is for the other boards to see what is good for them and then stand by it. If they can't, one just cannot criticise BCCI. BCCI were not the one who expelled the ICL players. It were their own respective boards. Why did PCB or NZCB not have the guts to stand like ECB did? On one hand you don't want to miss on financial pies given by BCCI and on other hand you don't want to support it either where its own existence has been challenged by a rebel league?You can't have your cake and eat it too. Sorry, but I can't see how BCCI can be faulted here!
How can you NOT blame the BCCI if you know they are bullying?? Your financial pies comment makes it seem like i am ONLY blaming the BCCI (which is FAR from the truth). I wish the PCB had taken a stance like the ECB but it turns out that they are the LEADERS in this war against ICL which is why it would be great if the key employees of PCB leave and join ICL. p.s you can reply to my OP in this thread if you want and have some extra time...(i certainly do after being hit by a hurricane:--D:) http://indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=101482

Faisal, You call it bullying, I call it bullying but have you thought why these boards are succumbing to BCCI's demand which has full ICC backing too? Do you think other boards will agree if NZ cricket board makes such a demand to them? It is these boards personal decision. THEY COULD HAVE STOOD UP TO BCCI by not accepting its demands. WHY DID THEY NOT DO SO? I just wonder how can you blame BCCI for the decisions which these boards took ultimately. Won't it be akin to same thing if Indian forummers will start blaming PCB if Indian players go to the CT and, God forbid, some mishap occurs? It'll be BCCI's fault who didn't look after players' security completely and not PCB's. In the same way, if PCB anf NZCB decided to ban their own players, whatever the reson for that might be, it should be their fault not BCCI's!

Your financial pies comment makes it seem like i am ONLY blaming the BCCI (which is FAR from the truth). I wish the PCB had taken a stance like the ECB but it turns out that they are the LEADERS in this war against ICL which is why it would be great if the key employees of PCB leave and join ICL.
You are taking out the frustration of PCB on BCCI which should not be correct. Whatever the pressure was, these boards thought of chucking their players out for financial gains. IT IS SOLELY THEIR DECISION.

Make no mistake. There are corporate houses who are bidding ICL teams. So ICL will have teams. As things progress further, ICL will progress from strength to strength while BCCI would be encounter roadblocks for other boards to share the proceeds of IPL. We are in the early stages of the race. I think there is room for both ICL and IPL to prosper.

Telugu actor Vishnu Manchu buys stake in ICL team The Indian Cricket League (ICL) received a much needed boost on Friday with well known Telugu actor Vishnu Manchu becoming a stakeholder of an ICL team based here. More... Telugu actor Vishnu Manchu buys stake in ICL team Hyderabad (PTI): The Indian Cricket League (ICL) received a much needed boost on Friday with well known Telugu actor Vishnu Manchu becoming a stakeholder of an ICL team based here. Manchu, famous for his movie 'Dhee', bought a minority stake of the Hyderabad Heroes team. ICL plans to form eight individual companies for eight teams each representing an important geographical region of the country, ICL Executive Board Member Kiran More said while announcing Manchu's foray in cricket. This will provide potential sponsors and sports investors an opportunity to double their advantage by becoming minority stakeholders and brand builders, More said. "On behalf of ICL, I welcome on board the Telugu film industry superstar Vishnu Manchu as an investor and enthusiastic cricketer. Vishnu's impressive credentials as an entrepreneur and his popularity in Hyderabad adds solidity to ICL's objective of promoting domestic Indian cricket," the former India stumper said. "We at ICL believe that the right balance of time, money and opportunities through our initiatives will help any young cricketer build his career like a thorough professional and even earn a livelihood by playing quality cricket," he added. "The game in itself is a passion of millions, then what gives anyone the right to restrict it to only a few?" More said while taking a dig at the BCCI.

Chandan i can't go on any longer with this...you are hell bent on trying to defend BCCI(bit of an irony there). If you don't think BCCI should be blamed for butting in to the domestic issues and causing the ban of players like D Tuffey(from CC), Shane Bond and many others then really there isn't much to be said. now what next...you will say BCCI were not at fault with the way they tried to manipulate the English T20 cricket...there is a limit to everything which BCCI has long crossed and its a massive shame that you guys don't realize it and are trying to justify their actions

Faisal, You call it bullying, I call it bullying but have you thought why these boards are succumbing to BCCI's demand which has full ICC backing too? Do you think other boards will agree if NZ cricket board makes such a demand to them? It is these boards personal decision. THEY COULD HAVE STOOD UP TO BCCI by not accepting its demands. WHY DID THEY NOT DO SO? I just wonder how can you blame BCCI for the decisions which these boards took ultimately. Won't it be akin to same thing if Indian forummers will start blaming PCB if Indian players go to the CT and, God forbid, some mishap occurs? It'll be BCCI's fault who didn't look after players' security completely and not PCB's. In the same way, if PCB anf NZCB decided to ban their own players, whatever the reson for that might be, it should be their fault not BCCI's!
you are kidding yourself if you think ICFers will not blame Pakistan... I am sure ICFers will blame PAK even if a mishap happens at one of the beaches at midnight.
you are kidding yourself if you think ICFers will not blame Pakistan... I am sure ICFers will blame PAK even if a mishap happens at one of the beaches at midnight.
If this is the reason for which you are criticising BCCI, then I don't have to say anything further. I won't be supporting any of ICFers then in their view to think it all being PCB's fault before blaming BCCI! And BCCI has no sympathy from me in the way they run cricket in India and the world too. But in this case, I think the respective boards are to be blamed who have no spine of their own and any other board can interfere with their internal matters. Such spineless boards have no sympathy from me either! If I were a Pakistani fan, I'd have blamed PCB alone who have let other boards tamper with their domestic cricket. If you were one of BCCI administrators, what would you have done differently to fight a rebel league?
If this is the reason for which you are criticising BCCI, then I don't have to say anything further. I won't be supporting any of ICFers then in their view to think it all being PCB's fault before blaming BCCI! And BCCI has no sympathy from me in the way they run cricket in India and the world too. But in this case, I think the respective boards are to be blamed who have no spine of their own and any other board can interfere with their internal matters. Such spineless boards have no sympathy from me either! If I were a Pakistani fan, I'd have blamed PCB alone who have let other boards tamper with their domestic cricket. If you were one of BCCI administrators, what would you have done differently to fight a rebel league?
oh please...i don't want that job even if you payed me double. What do you mean by "If this is the reason for which you are criticizing BCCI"?...i am criticizing BCCI for the reasons that i have mentioned earlier... At the end of the day you have to realizer that BCCI is responsible for a lot more things than Dravid's duck and Dhoni's "ducks".
oh please...i don't want that job even if you payed me double. What do you mean by "If this is the reason for which you are criticizing BCCI"?...i am criticizing BCCI for the reasons that i have mentioned earlier... At the end of the day you have to realizer that BCCI is responsible for a lot more things than Dravid's duck and Dhoni's "ducks".
Neither will I pay you nor will I give you the job!:--D....Because I'm not in a position to do so. But since you are such a vehement critic of BCCI regarding this policy, you must have thought what should have been done, isn't it? Simply put, most of us are masters in pointing out various problems, but they are of no use if you do not put up solutions too. I very well realize that BCCI is much more responsible for many things and this not just Indian team's performance. And hence I don't think how they could have tackled this problem(ICL problem) in a better way. If you have an idea, please enlighten us. That is what I meant by saying "if you were a BCCI administrator", not that I was actually appointing you to the post!:D

14 Bangladesh players to join ICL For Dhaka Warriors team. It seems premature for current and former internationals to be pushing for "cricket at the Olympics" when the ninth ranked side in the world can't beat a good Australian club side, writes Ian Chappell. More... Forget Olympics, cricket needs to look within Ian Chappell September 13, 2008 First Published: 23:55 IST(13/9/2008) Last Updated: 23:57 IST(13/9/2008) It seems premature for current and former internationals to be pushing for "cricket at the Olympics" when the ninth ranked side in the world can't beat a good Australian club side. Bangladesh are currently a poor team and the most disturbing aspect is the rapid deterioration of their standard. In 2005, Bangladesh beat a strong Australian side in England and then seriously challenged them later in the tournament. At the 2007 World Cup, they defeated India and South Africa to reach the Super Eights. Bangladesh's slide into mediocrity highlights the ICC's glaring misjudgement in prematurely elevating them to a level way beyond their capacity. Bangladesh's inability to repeat anything like the progress of Sri Lanka brings into sharp focus the way young cricketers are now being developed. Currently, there aren't enough good players in some of the major teams let alone the developing sides. Ever since Australia appointed a coach in the mid-eighties and the results improved, other teams have behaved like women in a shop full of diamonds; they just have to have one. Trouble is there are a lot more affordable diamonds than there are coaches qualified to produce even the slightest improvement in an international cricket team. The manic desire to have an international coach and then blame him when things go awry and build academies at every street corner has shifted focus from what really builds a strong cricket nation. A system that produces good, combative young cricketers and then challenges them at progressively tougher levels of competition is the best way to ensure players are properly prepared for international cricket. The obscene haste to obtain an ICC vote for Bangladesh has seen the issue of player development neglected. With no threat of demotion if standards don't improve and no suitable second-tier competition to monitor the progress of other prospective full member nations, it's unlikely the situation will improve. Despite Bangladesh's current lowly playing status, ironically, they have a huge asset. Their vote at the ICC is coveted and if the ICL were to sign a Bangladesh team for the competition, it would create an enormous dilemma for traditional administrators. Would the officials be prepared to let a Bangladesh third-string side flounder for the sake of the precious vote or would they see sense and come to the negotiating table with ICL? Any show of common sense would only be beneficial to the game. It could serve as the conduit to bring ICL into the official fold so that the player pool is boosted and the overall international standard is improved. However, the real issue is the long-term future of the game. Currently, there's excessive focus on glamour and glitz; by contemplating cricket's entry into the Olympics it provides more proof that money is the prime motivator in the game. It's time for all sides to roll up the sleeves and concentrate on a few of the less glamorous aspects of cricket so that in future the game is entertaining and competitive.

14 Bangladesh players to join ICL For Dhaka Warriors team. Six current national players are among 14 Bangladeshi cricketers who will form a new team, named Dhaka Warriors, in this year's 'rebel' Indian Cricket League, media reports in Dhaka said. More... 14 Bangladesh players to join ICL September 14, 2008 15:30 IST Six current national players are among 14 Bangladeshi cricketers who will form a new team, named Dhaka Warriors, in this year's 'rebel' Indian Cricket League, media reports in Dhaka said. According to a report in Prothom Alo, former captain Habibul Bashar and retired spinner Mohammad Rafique are among the 14 cricketers who are slated to play in the unofficial league to be played in venues across India beginning on October 10. "Players from the current squad -- Alok Kapali, Aftab Ahmed, Nizamuddin, Shariar Nafees, Farhad Reza, Dhiman Ghosh -- are likely to sign lucrative contracts," the newspaper reported. These players were part of the team that were thrashed 0-3 in the three-match one-day series against Australia [images] earlier this month. "The players will soon submit a letter to the Bangladesh Cricket Board seeking permission to play in the ICL," the report added. The newspaper also claimed that current captain Mohammad Ashraful [images] was approached to lead the team but he turned down the offer.

Well he was a test cricketer (and captain) for some 10+ years, and a cricket commentator, and writer for the past 35 years ... Id say he is pretty qualified to comment on the state of the game. You dont have to agree with his opinions (I know I dont always agree with them), but he has just as much right as anyone else to make his opinions public.

Six current national players are among 14 Bangladeshi cricketers who will form a new team, named Dhaka Warriors, in this year's 'rebel' Indian Cricket League, media reports in Dhaka said. More... 14 Bangladesh players to join ICL September 14, 2008 15:30 IST Six current national players are among 14 Bangladeshi cricketers who will form a new team, named Dhaka Warriors, in this year's 'rebel' Indian Cricket League, media reports in Dhaka said. According to a report in Prothom Alo, former captain Habibul Bashar and retired spinner Mohammad Rafique are among the 14 cricketers who are slated to play in the unofficial league to be played in venues across India beginning on October 10. "Players from the current squad -- Alok Kapali, Aftab Ahmed, Nizamuddin, Shariar Nafees, Farhad Reza, Dhiman Ghosh -- are likely to sign lucrative contracts," the newspaper reported. These players were part of the team that were thrashed 0-3 in the three-match one-day series against Australia [images] earlier this month. "The players will soon submit a letter to the Bangladesh Cricket Board seeking permission to play in the ICL," the report added. The newspaper also claimed that current captain Mohammad Ashraful [images] was approached to lead the team but he turned down the offer.
Some of those guys were an integral part of the Bangladeshi team.