Discussion on ICL Players : Do ICL players deserve better?

Has ICL forced BCCI to improve? Do ICL players deserve better? Indian Cricket League players deserve better The ICL players have been marginalised and ostracised by the BCCI. It's time the BCCI accepts them into the mainstream cricketing fold and concentrates on furthering its agenda of making cricket accessible to one and all.. CJ: Ranja IN A time gap of less than 18 months, what began as the Indian Cricket League (ICL) on a crest wave of glorious intentions to target the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for mismanaging cricket and failing to unearth new talent amidst the backdrop of the unwieldy domestic structure that has been blamed for killing, rather than nurturing, fresh talent, has dwindled into the rebels being maligned, boxed into a corner and suppressed by the sheer absurdity of the BCCI’s stand and the enormous success of a spectacle called the Indian Premier League (IPL). It’s just a side note that the real reason for launching this league was because Subhash Chandra had an axe to grind. Reeling from the blow of not being able to secure the television rights, he was unwavering in his quest to mortify the BCCI and hit upon a breakaway cricket league as the best way of achieving his goal. That he did and sent a few reverberations towards the nondescript BCCI’s officialdom is something that he should take credit for, galvanising the BCCI into frantically reacting and blatantly repackaging the concept. However, far from being a league that sought to address the malaise of lack of opportunities, the quagmire of favouritism, lack of recognition, nepotism, and political wranglings, the ensuing ostracism has led to a tragic aftermath. In a sport that has no definitive owner, the BCCI has monopolised cricket in India and isn’t shy to thwart any attempts that might threaten its stranglehold over the sport in the country and beyond. The Indian Chastised League might front a brave face but under the veneer of its bravado lay gaping cracks that threaten its very existence. Amidst this crumbling facade, some, if not all, of the main proponents are cushioned from the impact of this relentless strangulation by the clout and arm twisting tactics of the BCCI. In the twilight of their working lives, Kapil Dev and Kiran More can reflect on their respective careers with immense pride. They’ve done the yards and worn the colours and caps with pride. Even if the ICL were to wither away into oblivion sooner than most people give it charitable time, these two and others who steered its course can simply move onto other things. Their journeys, fraught with obstacles galore and undue sniggering by those who claim to have the biggest coffer in sporting history, may well come to an end but in no way would they feel entirely despondent. Life, for some, goes on and with cricket an extension of their being, they are bound to be involved in some capacity in the future. Victimised by the BCCI for embracing a rebel league that couldn’t gain its auspices, ICL players are left in the lurch in a league that may have hit a dead end or at best a path that hankers for a modicum of respectability and a share of this lucrative market. With the stupendous success of the IPL, the future looks bleak for the ICL. More so for the players who, like orphans, dared to ask for an extra portion only to be met with an severe and stern reprimand, and find themselves serving time on the sidelines with absolutely no prospect of entertaining a comeback into the mainstream cricketing fold. This is a tragedy of enormous proportions for the players who merely chose to explore an enterprising avenue on the back of constant shunting around by the BCCI. While the majority of ICL’s players may never have threatened to break into the seniors side in their careers, some like Ambati Rayudu are left to bear the brunt in a case of déjà vu. Rayudu’s case is an all too familiar example that curtailed a very promising future. Once touted as India’s next great batting hope, he was unashamedly sidelined by the ugly nexus between a father-son collaboration that did great harm not just to him but to cricket as well. He has been done twice over by the authorities. While Hyderabad may be ruing the defection by Rayudu, Bengal was depleted as a side by the mass exodus of most of its players to ICL. One such extremely promising player, Abhishek Jhunjhunwala, may forever be lost to Indian cricket. The BCCI’s step motherly treatment towards those who chose to improve their lives and secure their futures is a sad reflection of their narrow-mindedness and paranoia. It must be remembered that it was sheer desperation and discontent with respective state associations that drove most of these players to the ICL not discounting the hefty wage packets that were on offer. If it weren’t for ICL’s offers of between Rs 30 and 50 lakh, would the BCCI have reacted by hiking the match fees for the domestic players? I’d harbour a guess in the negative. The existence of the ICL must not be perceived as a threat by the BCCI. Cricket can accommodate the existence of both the ICL and the IPL. Paranoia usually results in knee jerk reactions and it hasn’t been any different with the BCCI. Furthermore, ICL neither has the players nor the backing to stake a challenge for the IPL. Allowing it to co-exist would rightfully provide an opportunity not just to strive towards a common agenda of granting opportunities to promising cricketers but will not dent the future success of the IPL. The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has backtracked in the face of trade laws and has allowed 25 ICL cricketers to turn out for 18 counties under its jurisdiction. Such flexibility isn’t a sign of weakness but rather an exercise in finding common ground. The International Cricket Council (ICC) will continue to avoid dealing with the issue of the ICL and will hide behind the theory that until the BCCI approves the ICL, it can’t do much about it. For those who’ve watched its mode of functioning over the years, the ICC prides itself on inaction and ineptitude. Let not the BCCI adopt the ICC’s approach, as it is capable of bigger and grander things. Like a small player in a land of one monopolistic leader, the ICL can and should be allowed to run its course. Not just for cricket’s sake but for the players’ sake too, who have been needlessly caught up in this imbroglio. Cricket ought to be winner at the end and not the egos of a select few. The BCCI has proved its point, loud and clear. Not only is it one of the most dominant sports organisations but now, thanks to the success of IPL, the world has also witnessed its execution prowess so much so that an otherwise level-headed Gilchrist got carried away and termed it a better spectacle than the Sydney Olympics. The ICL may have the word "league" in its name but it is certainly not in the BCCI’s league. Does it then make any sense for the BCCI to continue to rub it in? What would be more humiliating to the ICL than Rayudu accepting a man of the match award at an IPL match and thanking the BCCI for salvaging his career? Lastly, and importantly, the likes of Rayudu and Abhishek may not turn out to be international megastars. Then again, they may! Thanks to the IPL, there is an improved focus on discovering raw domestic talent, and these two players may play the county cricket tomorrow and show the world that they had it in them. Does the BCCI really want to take the risk of that embarrassment? Instead of getting distracted by the ICL every now and then, the BCCI’s sights should be set on conquering the world, which may soon see T20 leagues mushroomed everywhere. IndianWatchdogs.com is initiating a petition to highlight the plight of the ICL cricketers. We can make a difference by uniting together for a common cause of granting acceptance to the ICL’s players and embracing them into the cricketing mainstream. An exclusion zone does not benefit anyone, least of all the players. If cricket ought to be winner, pray what better way than to sign the petition and express your approval for this petition? Every voice counts, every signature matters, every fan is invaluable and every cricket player, regardless of league affiliations, matters a great deal to us genuine cricket fans. Petition link ----------------------------------------------------------------- My Comment: I certainly think that it is ICL which had made BCCI realise how important the FC players are for any country. But sadly that realisation came after an organisation stole some of its good players. Even if IPL was launched to counter ICL, it has been good for most of the players in India, not only in terms of finance but also in term of getting exposure to the big stage and competing against some of the best players of the world as well as sharing dressing room with them and learning from them. Because of so much of TV glare, BCCI will look after the infrastructure to improve on all the centres, will also take care of the pitches and outfield. It'll only help in improving Indian cricket. Now only if this impacts FC cricket too!! But what about the ICL players? Do they need this step-brotherly treatment? What can be done for them? Do you support lifting the ban from them? If yes, then please sign the petition and give your reasons in this thread. PS: Please engage in a discussion. This forum has been nearly dead on non match periods. If you think of making it a good forum, you will have to post meaningful stuff so that most can respond and there can be a healthy discussion on many topics. Please post for heavens sake!!!

To understand the logic behind the exodus of players to ICL....we will have to first understand the reasons behind the act.. 1. Most of the ICL players did not think that they will reach at top and break into indian team soon or ever..so decided to earn some quick money...and settle in life 2. some players were not satisfied with the functioning of state administration...Like Players of Hyderabad state and from some other states as well... 3. Chance to become famous and also to rub shoulders with some of the Greats of the game like Bond, Lara, cairns ..etc..( though i don't belive it to be a strong enough reason for exodus) Now there is no denying that apart from the National team...rest of the players are treated like second class citizen by BCCI...lack of proper facilities in staduims..during Ranji Matches..indifferent attitude of state associations for Ranji Players..and Regional Quota system in team selection...were some of the reasons for frustration among the budding players of different states.. BCCI never promoted the domestic games..and never gave the respect it deserves.. There was already an undercurrent of frustration and agony among the mass players..and when opportunity came they grabbed it. World cup debacle and Birth of ICL although i do not support ICL ..as IMO it is a commercial set up whose only objective is to earn profits in the game of cricket..cashing on the popularity of it in india.. But i thank ICL for giving BCCI the jolt it needed to wakeup and see the reality.... A system which was full of corruption..nepotism...and full of incompetent people placed in the seat of authority. I thank ICL for forcing BCCI to take care of its first class cricketers...BCCI was compelled to play some decent amount to its state and junior level players... because of ICL we got to see some sort of professionalism in the functioning of BCCI..although a lot is still to be done... BCCI is yet to fulfill its promise of bringing professionals to run BCCI... so YES..in a way ICL has greatly influenced BCCI and forced BCCI to mend its ways and functioning.. and we all should be thankful to ICL for this...and here i would be a bit selfish and wish that...ICL should remain in existence and should devise of some innovative ideas for its survival in the hostile envirronment...for it will stop BCCI from being complacent..and will force them to improve their functioning and management further... now should ICL players be accomodated in BCCI.. I think ICL is doing quite well so far...ICL is popular among Pakistanis..and the reach of Zee television among many countries means that it will never be short of viewer ship... ICL management should look to rope in a Bangladeshi team as well...Like Indian and Pakistanis..BD people are also cricket crazy...and Zee has a strong presence in BD. and Barring only a few indian players...not all could make a cut in the national team...so if i had to make a choice ..i would sacrifice the career of few players for the betterment of indian cricket in general.. and IMO ICL is paying well to some of the better players like Rayudu...and others.. We still Need a lot of improvement at the ground level functioning of BCCI.. ICL can show the way to BCCI on managing the infrastructure ..players..and tournaments..and Management..by its professionally run setup.. we still need to improve the basic infrastructure of cricket like stadiums...players mamagement..Human resource management... if a situation arises and ICL decides to shut its shop..then YES..BCCI will have to embrace them with open arms....as their return will surly improve the level of competitiveness of the domestic tournaments..which will eventually gonan help indian team only..

Agree with your points, TGIB. But will ICL prosper after the strong stranglehold of BCCI on Indian as well as international cricketers? Will ICL get the viewers on the ground even if they arrange all sort of entertainment prior to the match and in the mid inning? Will they stand in comparison to the grand extravaganza of IPL? Hell, will they be able to get a ground in the first place? And it is quite early to say thatall the players who are at ICL will not break into the international team. Some of the youngsters, just 17-18 years of age, are quite good and if nurtured properly, can certainly be a part of the pool for international players. But the question also arises that should ICL cave in this meekly?

I signed the petition. Online petitions don't accomplish anything, but what's the harm in signing it. I did it to make a statement. The manner in which the BCCI treated the ICL has been quite disgraceful. Lifting the ban would make sense, as I don't see anything wrong with a bit of competition - it can only benefit Indian cricket as more players - including many who will probably never come within 50 feet of an Indian jersey - can have a chance to pursue a lucrative career in the sport. Besides, the ICL probably won't impact the IPL's success since the IPL commands the attention of the best players in the business while the ICL is comprised of Indian FC cricketers who are, for the most part, nobodies and lesser known foreign players. Eventually, the richer of the rival leagues will win out I am sure that the BCCI will feel obligated to review it's policy once promising young cricketers (ie; national team material) start joining ICL. We just need to see a few more Ali Murtazas

Agree with your points, TGIB. But will ICL prosper after the strong stranglehold of BCCI on Indian as well as international cricketers? i think ICL will survive even in this strong strangulation of BCCI...There are many valid reasons for this.. 1. People of india are addicted to cricket..IPL proved to be a good time pass for average office goer to come home and relax..watching a good game for three hours..TRP of Zee ICL is better than some soaps shown..so the ad revenue is still coming ICL way..making it a profitable venture...and as long as ICL is making profits..it will continue.. Will ICL get the viewers on the ground even if they arrange all sort of entertainment prior to the match and in the mid inning? Will they stand in comparison to the grand extravaganza of IPL? ICL might not attract the real spectators to the ground...but IMO ICL is not dependent on gate collections for its survival and popularity... atmosphere can be created..we should know how politicians gather crowds in thousands..in their functions...giving free passes to associate companies..and sponsors will not harm any body..person like me..who has gone to a stadium only once at Eden Gardens... will gladly accept a free invitation to watch cairns or Bond or Razzaq or Kapil dev.. Hell, will they be able to get a ground in the first place? All the stadiums in India are under state control...and BCCI plays the state govt to stage matches in the stadiums...and since there are many grounds which are not suitable for international matches..still are big enough for a proper cricket match with decent sitting arrangements..and are privately owned. Moreover ICL does not need a huge capacity stadiums..i read a report that even WB govt is ready to give Eden Gardens for ICL matches...WB sports Minister is a known supporter of Dalmia..and Eden Gardens is under the control of WB govt..so i won't be surptised if i see some ICL matches at calcutta. And it is quite early to say that all the players who are at ICL will not break into the international team. Some of the youngsters, just 17-18 years of age, are quite good and if nurtured properly, can certainly be a part of the pool for international players. i think its good to see that more players are getting opportunities to hone their skills..and showcase it to the indian and international audience...but indian team is already saturated with too many choices in batting department..for ODIs and 20-20...But yeah..if there is some exceptional talent in bowling unearthed by ICL..then definitely we all would like to see him..in indian colours..so far..none of the ICL players have caught the fancy of the nation...and IMO...20-20 is not the ideal place to showcase talent.. If ICL organises 50 overs game in future..then probably some talent can come out in light...and be a discussion point among media channels.... But the question also arises that should ICL cave in this meekly? i don't think ICL will shut shop this easily....India is big enough market to feed two cricket bodies... also..some innovation and new ideas will surely beef up the prospects of ICL.. a full pakistani team was a master stroke..and this made ICL popular in Pakistan...heck...More pakistanis watched ICL matches than IPL matches.. there is no chance for any BD player to play in IPL..except razzaq may be...so BD fans would not be that interested to watch IPL matches...but if somehow...ICL succeeds in making an all BD cricket team for ICL..then i am sure they will win another 2-3 million TV viewership..for ICL matches... ICL can offer English counties to play come tournament ..there are many fringe players in many countries who are at the *** end of their career..and would want to retire soon and play ICL matches to earn some extra money.. i won't be surprised if tomorrow some australian players who have retired recently join ICL .. There is good enough chance for aussies to join ICL...as its very difficult for them to break into the national team..and not many succeeds in it...so it won't be difficult for ICL to create an all aussie team by picking soem decent fringe players from states of australlia who are not gonna make it to the national team..i am sure many would join if offered some decent money...and ICL has no dearth of money... ICL might not give astronomical sums like 500 k or 800K..but they will surely offer much more than what any one would get by boards for playing domestics... so i am hoping that ICL will survive and not only survive but thrive to take ICL to the next level..

I've signed the petition too but I don't see how it can be effective. BCCI is a private organisation and it reserves the right to employ and fire people as it sees fit. It considers the ICL cricketers as traitors and has issued a directive not to employ any of them ever. I don't see how anyone can force them to overrule this directive.

Has ICL forced BCCI to improve? Do ICL players deserve better? Ok Faisal, Q.1. Tell me why are you so bitter and want the Pak players to join ICL so that their their test and ODI career is ruined? Q.2. Is Ashraf's resignation good or bad for the Pak cricket, both in long term and short term? I suppose you'll let me undestand the reason of all these dramas happening in Pak cricket right now.

Ok Faisal, Q.1. Tell me why are you so bitter and want the Pak players to join ICL so that their their test and ODI career is ruined?
As you know i have been disgusted by the BCCI and the PCB for a while now and this recent Faisal Iqbal situation has put me over the edge. By joining the ICL the players would be separating themselves from BOTH the PCB and the BCCI...there can NOT be anything better than that.
Q.2. Is Ashraf's resignation good or bad for the Pak cricket, both in long term and short term?.
As i said before just look at the number of U turns among other blunders and decide for yourself...new chairman would have to be really GOOD at being bad to be as bad as DNA.
As you know i have been disgusted by the BCCI and the PCB for a while now and this recent Faisal Iqbal situation has put me over the edge. By joining the ICL the players would be separating themselves from BOTH the PCB and the BCCI...there can NOT be anything better than that.
Could you please tell me in a bit of detail as to why BCCI is riling you up and what exactly was Faisal Iqbal issue? And players might be separating them from PCB but what good will it do to Pak cricket? Why would a Pak cricket fan want them to not represent Pakistan in their career again in any form? What has BCCI got to do with it?
As i said before just look at the number of U turns among other blunders and decide for yourself...new chairman would have to be really GOOD at being bad to be as bad as DNA.
You think a new president of board will fix all the current shambles? What exactly are Pak cricket's problem right now?
Could you please tell me in a bit of detail as to why BCCI is riling you up and what exactly was Faisal Iqbal issue? And players might be separating them from PCB but what good will it do to Pak cricket? Why would a Pak cricket fan want them to not represent Pakistan in their career again in any form? What has BCCI got to do with it?
Do i really have to explain BCCI's bullying tactics? i thought you were the biggest critics of BCCI on this board yet you don't see anything wrong with the way they are conducting the external issues? my beef against IPL(some one changed the title of the thread) http://indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=101482 Faisal Iqbal story is that he was dropped from the 30 member CT squad because he merely played an exhibition match with the ICL players in it(just like Sachin did a couple of months ago). It would have been great if the key employees of this organization called the PCB had stood up and gone over to the so called "rebel" league.
You think a new president of board will fix all the current shambles? What exactly are Pak cricket's problem right now?
i would repeat the same thing as i said before.. The new chairman will have to have some serious "skills" to match the incompetency of DNA who fell in love with horse's shoe.

If you want ICL players to be given chance in official cricket. then I'm afraid it'll not be happening and I don't think I'll oppose it big time too. But to expel is these players from their respective domestic cricket system is one hell of an extreme. I don't think it should be BCCI's or even ICC's business to decide who plays in which country's domestic cricket. They should mind their own business. Another extreme decision of BCCI is to bar its players from joining the counties which have ICL players. Who is the loser here? Obviously the players but when did BCCI care about players?!! But then question arises as to why other countries are bending to BCCI's demand? Why can't they be like England who told BCCI that they just cannot ban players from ICL? I don't think BCCI can be blamed if other boards are litrally succumbing to BCCI's illogical demands. I had written this earlier and will say this again that it seems perfectly logical that BCCI bans ICL players to cut its rival's wings and will go to extreme levels to discourage players from signing ICL. Now it is upto the players to see what they want the most---waiting forever for an opportunity to come their way to play for the national team or to make money while they can, sacrificing their dreams to represent the country one day. The players who have played for ICL knew that they'll be expelled from their domestic teams too. Is this the bullying tactics of BCCI you are talking about?

If you want ICL players to be given chance in official cricket. then I'm afraid it'll not be happening and I don't think I'll oppose it big time too. But to expel is these players from their respective domestic cricket system is one hell of an extreme. I don't think it should be BCCI's or even ICC's business to decide who plays in which country's domestic cricket. They should mind their own business. Another extreme decision of BCCI is to bar its players from joining the counties which have ICL players. Who is the loser here? Obviously the players but when did BCCI care about players?!! But then question arises as to why other countries are bending to BCCI's demand? Why can't they be like England who told BCCI that they just cannot ban players from ICL? I don't think BCCI can be blamed if other boards are litrally succumbing to BCCI's illogical demands. I had written this earlier and will say this again that it seems perfectly logical that BCCI bans ICL players to cut its rival's wings and will go to extreme levels to discourage players from signing ICL. Now it is upto the players to see what they want the most---waiting forever for an opportunity to come their way to play for the national team or to make money while they can, sacrificing their dreams to represent the country one day. The players who have played for ICL knew that they'll be expelled from their domestic teams too. ?
No.
If you want ICL players to be given chance in official cricket. then I'm afraid it'll not be happening and I don't think I'll oppose it big time too. But to expel is these players from their respective domestic cricket system is one hell of an extreme. I don't think it should be BCCI's or even ICC's business to decide who plays in which country's domestic cricket. They should mind their own business. Another extreme decision of BCCI is to bar its players from joining the counties which have ICL players. Who is the loser here? Obviously the players but when did BCCI care about players?!! But then question arises as to why other countries are bending to BCCI's demand? Why can't they be like England who told BCCI that they just cannot ban players from ICL? I don't think BCCI can be blamed if other boards are litrally succumbing to BCCI's illogical demands. I had written this earlier and will say this again that it seems perfectly logical that BCCI bans ICL players to cut its rival's wings and will go to extreme levels to discourage players from signing ICL. Now it is upto the players to see what they want the most---waiting forever for an opportunity to come their way to play for the national team or to make money while they can, sacrificing their dreams to represent the country one day. The players who have played for ICL knew that they'll be expelled from their domestic teams too. Is this the bullying tactics of BCCI you are talking about?
that is why i am not solely blaming the BCCI....they are obviously the bullies but the other boards(especially PCB and NZCB) are allowing themselves to be bullied...
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/icl/engine/match/313876.html Imran Farhat and co were playing domestic cricket even after signing the ICL contract( 4 or 5 months before this match). ....and i am sure you already know the whole Shane Bond story.
It is very good if Pak players who played for ICL are participating in the their domestic cricket too. The whole Shane Bond shamble was the result of the incompetence and indecisiveness of NZ cricket board. I just cannot see where are you going to say that it was BCCI who barred Bond. BCCI had made it clear that they'll go to the extremes to destroy the ICL. And I suppose Bond and NZCB knew it too. It was the NZ board which first gave permission to Bond to sign a contract for ICL and then banned him. His case was where his own board created this tragedy, not BCCI.
It is very good if Pak players who played for ICL are participating in the their domestic cricket too.
They are not! I was pointing to the fact that the ICL players were allowed to play domestic cricket for the first month or so but then PCB took just another one of those U turn. So since December NONE of the ICL players have been allowed to played domestic cricket...in fact they have been treated like criminals. ...so contradictory to what you stated the ICL players did NOT know that they were going to be banned from domestic cricket as well...
The whole Shane Bond shamble was the result of the incompetence and indecisiveness of NZ cricket board. I just cannot see where are you going to say that it was BCCI who barred Bond. BCCI had made it clear that they'll go to the extremes to destroy the ICL. And I suppose Bond and NZCB knew it too. It was the NZ board which first gave permission to Bond to sign a contract for ICL and then banned him. His case was where his own board created this tragedy, not BCCI.
It was BCCI who made them reverse the decision....why are you trying to deny that?? They(BCCI) had also been very upset that D Tuffey was allowed to play domestic cricket in NZ and forced NZ to ban the ICL players from domestic cricket...
If PCB doesnt have balls to stand up then is it BCCI's problem. How can you blame BCCI if Pak is disowning its own players ? As for PCB not being thankful .. its DHNADA business ek haath lay ek haath day. BCCI & PCB are both run by greedy politicians and I dont think Indians should be asking this question to a Pakistani. If Im unhappy about how PCB didnt vote/support India then its because BCCI couldn't do enough to convince them .
Post #41 to 51 are for you http://indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=117706&page=2
nahi doesnt clear things enough for me. For Bond issue, Bond was not told by his board about the ban. From the day 1 BCCI had been very straight forward about the ban. If NZ cricket board doesnt have the balls to stand up then what can we do ! For faisal Iqbal \ MoYo , again its PCB who screwed him not BCCI Its a business decesion from BCCI to ban these players but as a cricket fan I feel sad about it.
nahi doesnt clear things enough for me. For Bond issue, Bond was not told by his board about the ban. From the day 1 BCCI had been very straight forward about the ban. If NZ cricket board doesnt have the balls to stand up then what can we do ! For faisal Iqbal MoYo , again its PCB who screwed him not BCCI
...NZ gave Bond the permission to play in the ICL before BCCI stepped in and told the NZ board to reverse the decision sure NZ board was gutless and deserve to be blamed as much as the BCCI. Similarly BCCI was all upset when Tuffey was allowed to play for Auckland which caused the NZ board to ban all the ICL players from domestic cricket... seems like a lot of you guys don't know these facts and are trying to downplay the role of the Bullies Controlling Cricket in India( and outside) please also read my posts in this thread(don't worry about the title because some one changed it) http://indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=101482
Its a business decesion from BCCI to ban these players but as a cricket fan I feel sad about it.
and i hope all the main Pakistani players make a "business decision" and head over to ICL.