Raina's weakness

arkay

What do you think of Raina's ability to play the short ball? There are times he looks awkward when playing the hook shot / pull shot that is aimed at his body. He gets into an awkward position when playing this stroke. In pitches which aids seam bowling, a bowler like Lee would fancy himself of setting him up with the short pitch bouncer. Raina should either leave them alone or try to improve his technique. What are your thoughts?

On pitches that aid fast bowling' date=' Brett Lee would fancy his chances agaisnt 9 out of 10 Indian batsmen. I don't think Raina is that bad against short pitched bowling. He lets most of them go through to the keeper and attempts to pull / hook only after he is well set.[/quote'] I agree about Brett Lee fancying himself to take wkts. What I was trying to state was he is very good playing forward as well as backward. He has a wide range of shots including hook shot and pull shot. The only weakness I could sense when he plays strokes is the way he handles short pitch deliveries. When the short pitch delivery is not aimed at his body, he evades the ball by ducking. He is very vulnerable when the ball is aimed at his body. Even today, when he was dropped he was trying to hook a short pitch delivery that was aimed at his body.

Name me 5 players who can play confident pull shots when the ball is aimed at body and with pace.. Sreesanth..made the SA players hope around the pitch in SA...Zaheer and RP made English batsmen bury in pitch with their bouncers and short balls...in England. Ishant sharma...made aussie batsmen run for covers with his short pitched stuffs in australia... Raina is a very very good back foot player... He is not afraid of playing pull shots... didn't you see..Raina hitting mashrafe for a SIX and then pulling him for a four that too infront of square.. its another pakistani propaganda to belittle the talent...we have... among the new crops..Rohit Sharma, Uthappa and Raina are wll equipped to play short pitch deliveries... and Rohit sharma looks most elegant among the three..when he hit these shots..

It's has more to do with batsman's psychology than technic. Any batsman can get in two minds when faced with a quality short pitch delivery directed towards him. Raina must have watched videos. Like all others, he too need to perfect the timing of when and how to leave short ones. Ganguly too had some hiccups with short pitch ones, but still he went on to become one of the most successful bats for India, due to his seer mental toughness and determination.

Name me 5 players who can play confident pull shots when the ball is aimed at body and with pace.. ..
Dunno if u want non-Indians also, but anyways...atleast 4 #1 - Smirky Ponting (yes, he is a smirk, but a great puller of the ball) old Tendulkar who was fearless and wont duck and sway and will just pull confidently in a flash Chris Gail Surya bulb from SL

This is what I was saying last week. He is a suspect to short pitch bowling. There are some who move away from the short ball. But he got into awkward positions when he plays the hook shot or pulls. Pakistan certainly did a lot of homework and bowled according to a plan to get rid of him. Raina needs to not play these shots very early in the innings and also should develop a strategy to counter that. Even sehwag is not comfortable playing short pitch deliveries aimed at his body. But he counters that deliveries very well with orthodiox shots.

actually when we lost the kitply cup final...i did not felt bad at all.. but today's performance was a disgrace ..and players should feel the humiliation.... i don't know about the paksitani players when we butt secxed them in 41 over chase... but todays match must pinch all the players...that they could not take even 5 wickets.. i am disappointed with the team...can't understand..how Dhoni let this happen..?

Guest dada_rocks

That was dim-witted they had placed a fielder in deep and were bowling bouncers and rains thought he was second coming of viv richards.. a non compalcent guy woudl have seen at scorecard and thought heck there is no need to take that sort of risk so just leave it.. but no he had to play that pull so early in his inning..

Guest dada_rocks
Name me 5 players who can play confident pull shots when the ball is aimed at body and with pace.. Sreesanth..made the SA players hope around the pitch in SA...Zaheer and RP made English batsmen bury in pitch with their bouncers and short balls...in England. Ishant sharma...made aussie batsmen run for covers with his short pitched stuffs in australia... Raina is a very very good back foot player... He is not afraid of playing pull shots... didn't you see..Raina hitting mashrafe for a SIX and then pulling him for a four that too infront of square.. its another pakistani propaganda to belittle the talent...we have... among the new crops..Rohit Sharma, Uthappa and Raina are wll equipped to play short pitch deliveries... and Rohit sharma looks most elegant among the three..when he hit these shots..
Bole the na tumhe babua ye apne launde tafri ke mood mein lag rahe hain,, ye resort mein jake hangama ho raha hai zaroor screw karenge

I think he was too confident and the law of averages caught up with him. Executing a pull in the first 5 balls you face is full of peril, and this time, he was unlucky. He is otherwise quite confident against short pitches stuff, so yeah, ignore the crap about "raina unable to play short pitched stuff".