Salil, Uninterrupted, on Rohit

I completely agree with what Salil except that instead of just the FC cricket, I'd like Rohit and many other young and talented players to be sent on regular A tours in which they play at least 3 four day game. I don't think any county would be stupid enough to hire players like Rohit as their only overseas players. Hence forget about playing county cricket. They'll have to learn the tricks of the trade in their own country and hopefully on tours to countries like Aus, Eng etc where they can test their skills against their A squads which are quite strong. And the day BCCI makes Duleep Trophy its premiere FC tournament and only 55 FC players, hopefully the best, compete against each other instead of 170 players as in the Super Ranji League, we'll get even better.

Guest Hiten.
Curse of the IPL is to spoil talented youngsters with potential for Test cricket. Can Rohit Sharma survive the curse? Only time will tell. That IPL circus!
Aaahh...There comes the hatred for IPL. Surely a unnecessary one. Why does IPL irk you guys so much ? Besides the scheduling, tell me one aspect of IPL that demeaned cricket ? All the games were played, fought and won with the correct spirit of cricket (barring Sree-Bhajji BS). Give me one ODI series where our ODI batsmen have been able to hit sixes with ease and at their own will. While you are at it, find me an ODI series where our team has been leading in most # of sixes eternity away from our counterparts (in that series). I am in no way saying ODI's = sixes only, but don't you think IPL has injected some positivism (at least) in our batsmen ? Just to name a few....IPL helped Australia find talents like Shaun Marsh, Watson (rediscovered). India found Yousuf Pathan (our very own 'beast'), Suresh Raina (rediscovered), Gautam Gambhir (extended his authority via IPL). Give credit where its due.
Aaahh...There comes the hatred for IPL. Surely a unnecessary one. Why does IPL irk you guys so much ? Besides the scheduling, tell me one aspect of IPL that demeaned cricket ? All the games were played, fought and won with the correct spirit of cricket (barring Sree-Bhajji BS). Give me one ODI series where our ODI batsmen have been able to hit sixes with ease and at their own will. While you are at it, find me an ODI series where our team has been leading in most # of sixes eternity away from our counterparts (in that series). I am in no way saying ODI's = sixes only, but don't you think IPL has injected some positivism (at least) in our batsmen ? Just to name a few....IPL helped Australia find talents like Shaun Marsh, Watson (rediscovered). India found Yousuf Pathan (our very own 'beast'), Suresh Raina (rediscovered), Gautam Gambhir (extended his authority via IPL). Give credit where its due.
Thats a myopic view my friend. I have no doubt in my mind that IPL/T-20 popularity will only lead to depletion of talent for test cricket. Not that I am blaming the players or anybody else for it. Just that players will feel less motivated to work hard for their place in test teams 5-10 years from now. A budding cricketer, lets say a under-19 player, would rather practice his part time off spin to get into a T-20/IPL side as a big hitting all rounder rather than spend more time honing his technique to play a swinging ball. Similar skills might even get him into a ODI side, but test cricket will be poorer.
Thats a myopic view my friend. I have no doubt in my mind that IPL/T-20 popularity will only lead to depletion of talent for test cricket. Not that I am blaming the players or anybody else for it. Just that players will feel less motivated to work hard for their place in test teams 5-10 years from now. A budding cricketer' date=' lets say a under-19 player, would rather practice his part time off spin to get into a T-20/IPL side as a big hitting all rounder rather than spend more time honing his technique to play a swinging ball. Similar skills might even get him into a ODI side, but test cricket will be poorer.[/quote'] Sorry to say, but it is your view which is myopic. You want to say that players play test cricket to earn money only? If that is the case, why is Sachin still putting hard yards after earning millions from the the game from endorsements itself? Why is Dravid still ready to work harder without uttering a word of discontent which he supposedly faced from the administrators when he was the skipper? Isn't he already too rich to even care for test cricket, if it is just for the sake of money? Why would a Dhoni go on playing non stop even after 'he has earned enough to feed the coming three generation of his family, in his own words' before an IPL started? In my opinion, if a player lacks passion to excel in all form of cricket, it is much better that he doesn't go on to proceed further in the domestic cricket itself. In that way, IPL will weed out the pretenders from the performers as we have confused between the two for a long time. Time after time we have given break to players like Devang Gandhi and Dinesh Mongia and thought that they were better than a VVS Laxman. If only money would satisfy them, it is better to leave these pretenders at the IPL level and let the real performers proceed further. It'll be only good for Indian cricket. Just can't see how will it harm our cricket.

i think time has come for More pay for Test cricket players... Players represent their country while playing Tests. ODIs or 20-20 matches... so what else can motivate players to give more importance to Tests .. RECOGNITION yes...if we become successful in demeaning the feats of 20-20..and devalue the records of 20-20..or ODIs.. and make records of Tests as be all and end all...it will motive future generation players to work harder to get the recogniton..in tests.. today..whats happening is that... 6 sixes in an over is being shown as the arrival of a player.... if we dismiss 20-20 records as something inconsequential....then players will feel the need to prove themselves in those games..which matters... Here Boards will play a big role...for example..BCCI should not consider 20-20 performance as a parameter to select players for ODIs... Test records and performances should be appreciated in Media and players should be awarded .. and 20-20 players should be sidelined in such awards... there should be concerted efforts to hype up Tests performace in TV channels..by BCCI..and allow them to interview test players and ODI players only... if we give step brotherly treatment to 20-20 records...may be players will prove themselves in ODIs and tests..

Guest Hiten.

Thanks Chandan. I couldn't have put it in a better way than you did. Variety is not bad on all occasions. I think cricket fans are prudent enough to juggle between Tests/ODI/T20 in one calendar year. The onus is upon ICC when they make next FTP of keeping the right balance amongst all these formats. My suggestion to ICC will be to snub International T20 and just have a league like IPL where all cricketing fans can blend together and get the 'feel' of supporting a player who has been always in his oppositions' team.

I have no qualms in Rohit Sharms being included into the ODI setup at such a young age. Primarily because he's not counted upon as a major contributor in building an innings when heavyweights like Gambhir, Sehwag, Dhony, Yuvrag, Tendulkar etc etc are plundering half centuries. And secondly his fielding is electric and inspiring. What he brings to the team in his catching, stopping runs and run out accuracy is gold dust, especially when Yuvrag is no longer as agile on the field as he used to be. But then again, I view fielding almost as importantly as batting. The only person I would consider including instead of Rohit is Kaif who's batting is more polished and he's just as good a fielder.

Sorry to say, but it is your view which is myopic. You want to say that players play test cricket to earn money only? If that is the case, why is Sachin still putting hard yards after earning millions from the the game from endorsements itself? Why is Dravid still ready to work harder without uttering a word of discontent which he supposedly faced from the administrators when he was the skipper? Isn't he already too rich to even care for test cricket, if it is just for the sake of money? Why would a Dhoni go on playing non stop even after 'he has earned enough to feed the coming three generation of his family, in his own words' before an IPL started? In my opinion, if a player lacks passion to excel in all form of cricket, it is much better that he doesn't go on to proceed further in the domestic cricket itself. In that way, IPL will weed out the pretenders from the performers as we have confused between the two for a long time. Time after time we have given break to players like Devang Gandhi and Dinesh Mongia and thought that they were better than a VVS Laxman. If only money would satisfy them, it is better to leave these pretenders at the IPL level and let the real performers proceed further. It'll be only good for Indian cricket. Just can't see how will it harm our cricket.
That is such a refreshing counter-view, Chandan! Excellent! :hatsoff:
Sorry to say, but it is your view which is myopic. You want to say that players play test cricket to earn money only? If that is the case, why is Sachin still putting hard yards after earning millions from the the game from endorsements itself? Why is Dravid still ready to work harder without uttering a word of discontent which he supposedly faced from the administrators when he was the skipper? Isn't he already too rich to even care for test cricket, if it is just for the sake of money? Why would a Dhoni go on playing non stop even after 'he has earned enough to feed the coming three generation of his family, in his own words' before an IPL started? In my opinion, if a player lacks passion to excel in all form of cricket, it is much better that he doesn't go on to proceed further in the domestic cricket itself. In that way, IPL will weed out the pretenders from the performers as we have confused between the two for a long time. Time after time we have given break to players like Devang Gandhi and Dinesh Mongia and thought that they were better than a VVS Laxman. If only money would satisfy them, it is better to leave these pretenders at the IPL level and let the real performers proceed further. It'll be only good for Indian cricket. Just can't see how will it harm our cricket.
NO! But look at it from the eyes of a youngster. Inspiration to play test cricket can come from many places. Money is JUST one of them. Fame is another big one. Also, another big one I would say is the influence of cricketing heroes and how popular they are. If the next generation is brought up with a Yusuf Pathan as a model cricketer, there will far less youngsters willing to do the hard yards. Thats what I am saying. Its not that you just turn up in a cricket ground one day and decide to become a test-cricketer. You see people playing, you get influenced and motivated. If picture of IPL cricketers adore the walls of a child's room, if IPL cricketers get all the publicity, and all the Bollywood actresses (which they will, FOR SURE), I see fewer and fewer children opting to become a test cricketer. Lack of role models can hurt more than you think.
Thats different....Sachin, Dravid, Dhoni etc have made millions. money for them is no that big deal now. They wanna prove themselves to be the best in test cricket. For young newcomers, no doubt ipl, twnety20 and odis will be mor eimp and it probably already is.
NO! But look at it from the eyes of a youngster. Inspiration to play test cricket can come from many places. Money is JUST one of them. Fame is another big one. Also' date=' another big one I would say is the influence of cricketing heroes and how popular they are. If the next generation is brought up with a Yusuf Pathan as a model cricketer, there will far less youngsters willing to do the hard yards. Thats what I am saying. Its not that you just turn up in a cricket ground one day and decide to become a test-cricketer. You see people playing, you get influenced and motivated. If picture of IPL cricketers adore the walls of a child's room, if IPL cricketers get all the publicity, and all the Bollywood actresses (which they will, FOR SURE), I see fewer and fewer children opting to become a test cricketer. Lack of role models can hurt more than you think.[/quote'] But will Yusuf Pathan EVER be a model cricketer? He had his moments under the sun during the IPL. But who remembers those heroics now? Those who'll take him as their role models will be fools and hence it is better that the brainless cricketers stay at the league level. Yes, you get influenced and almost wiped out under the wave of an IPL. But how long is that for? Just 6 weeks. Even an India's tour to Australia is longer than it and hype for that series was much more than what we had for IPL. Everyone has forgotten IPL, but has even media forgotten the Sydney test, Perth test, Sehwag's knock at Adelaide and our CB series win? No. They haven't. We still see them mentioning those, however hardly anyone is mentioning IPL achievements. If fewer children opt to become test cricket, it is better because they will have only one aim and that is to excel in the format which really tests a cricketer--batsman or bowler. They won't get distracted by petty things, won't leave their fitness regime while basking in momentary glory and will be determined to do better and better. We need those kind of players not the weak hearted ones who are swept over by hype, money, glamour, praise etc etc. Test cricket calls for such determined cricketers with excellent temperament. We'll be benefited.

So none of you IPL haters/critics are coming here to shred my theory apart? Comeon Fineleg, tell us how IPL will destroy Indian cricket and what are the loop holes in my theory presented above! Don't be shy, or you don't have words? And you, Dhondy? You won't tell us anything or act as a devil's advocate on my point?

But will Yusuf Pathan EVER be a model cricketer? He had his moments under the sun during the IPL. But who remembers those heroics now? Those who'll take him as their role models will be fools and hence it is better that the brainless cricketers stay at the league level. Yes, you get influenced and almost wiped out under the wave of an IPL. But how long is that for? Just 6 weeks. Even an India's tour to Australia is longer than it and hype for that series was much more than what we had for IPL. Everyone has forgotten IPL, but has even media forgotten the Sydney test, Perth test, Sehwag's knock at Adelaide and our CB series win? No. They haven't. We still see them mentioning those, however hardly anyone is mentioning IPL achievements. If fewer children opt to become test cricket, it is better because they will have only one aim and that is to excel in the format which really tests a cricketer--batsman or bowler. They won't get distracted by petty things, won't leave their fitness regime while basking in momentary glory and will be determined to do better and better. We need those kind of players not the weak hearted ones who are swept over by hype, money, glamour, praise etc etc. Test cricket calls for such determined cricketers with excellent temperament. We'll be benefited.
6 weeks? nope... Indian IPL/T-20 type players will have the following to compete for each year: 1). Probably IPL twice a year 2). T-20 champions trophy once every 2 years 3). T-20 world cup every 2 years 4). 5-7 T-20 matches Indian team will play each year... 5). They can go play for the English counties..I am not sure about this though. OR They can play ICL and still earn decent money

Agree and disagree, Chandan. IPL won't dry up the stream of Test cricketers, who, as you correctly point out, are a very special breed. Young cricketers will still dream of the ultimate glory of playing for their country at the highest level. But it will affect Test cricket in other ways. Look what happened to Zaheer Khan, to Matthew Hayden. It was tragic. To miss out on Test cricket because of this tamasha, particularly when you are lynchpin of your side's attack, is unconscionable.

Agree and disagree, Chandan. IPL won't dry up the stream of Test cricketers, who, as you correctly point out, are a very special breed. Young cricketers will still dream of the ultimate glory of playing for their country at the highest level. But it will affect Test cricket in other ways. Look what happened to Zaheer Khan, to Matthew Hayden. It was tragic. To miss out on Test cricket because of this tamasha, particularly when you are lynchpin of your side's attack, is unconscionable.
Can't believe that you think just 4 T20 games injured Hayden and just a handful of games, ie bowling down 4 overs in 2 spells in 8-9 games injured Zaheer! You think they'd have lasted even one inning of test cricket with that fitness? Don't blame IPL for their injury. They were already on the verge of those injuries. So many other players didn't get even an scratch. And besides that, for Indians, IPL merely replaced the domestic T20 championship which they had last year. If domestic cricket is likely to cause these players injuries then they should stop playing cricket at any level!
Guest Hiten.
Do you really think Zaheer's fitness was up to the mark before or after the IPL ? I mean, each IPL game required him to bowl maximum 4 overs / match. 14 x 4 = 56 overs in about a period of 30-45 days. Did 56 overs of spell drain out ZK ? It tells a lot about his match fitness doesn't it ? If you recall correctly, ZK flew back to India from downunder just after bowling 43.4 overs in boxing day test match. So it is quite evident that Zaheer's fitness issues is not because of any extended test matches or IPL, its him who is to be blamed for any lapses in his fitness.

Zaheer needed a longer period of rehab after that injury. It was a horrific injury. Hayden's participation came during Australian cricketers' traditional off season. Off seasons need to be respected to give your body time to recover and recuperate, particularly as you grow older.