The triumverate behind Pakistan's decline

A team which was built upon the superb accomplishments of individuals like Waqar, Akram, and Saqlain is resting in the bottom rungs of cricket rankings today. It's very simplistic to say that the Pakistan team was never a team to start off with and was built on the accomplishments of individuals. With the departure of those individuals, Pakistan has reached it's rightful place in the cricket ladder. Nothing could be more wrong and it was the obsession with supremely talented individuals which led to a nationwide support of ordinary players hoping to bring them glory ie. Akhtar, Afridi, and Asif. You can call them the triple A of Pakistan cricket or some other hypothetical name, but these three guys have killed Pakistan cricket with full support from their fans and board. 1. Akhtar : Someone who burst on to the scene with an impressive speed and a suspect action, was rescued by the BCCI for votes in the ICC. Started from one irregularity and quickly crept into another with full support from the establishment. His fans went delirious at his few wickets and shearing pace and started supporting him to the extent that the PCB had no option but to overlook every transgression of his. The situation today is that he has gone to court against the very PCB who was responsible for the few cricket matches he managed to play in the first place. Message sent to aspiring youngsters - become controversial, gain sympathy, have a bit of talent, create controversies, and you've got a secure life. 2. Afridi : For all the nonsense that is churned out about Afridi being some great ODI bowler the fact is he is mediocre and with him played a part in every dressing room altercation in Pakistan cricket over the past few years, it's not difficult to identify him as a major participant. What does he get? An absolutely fanatical fan following from his countrymen cheering on every wild heave he takes when the team wants some patience and producing his bowling stats bolstered by minnows. The media projection in Pakistan of Afridi as some savior has been delusional and bought in by the crowds, who have chosen to leave matches at his dismissal(better not go there at all if that was to be the pretext). Another unprofessional, unethical, cheat patronized as a hero in the hope he would some day replicate the achievements of the Akrams and the Waqars. 3. Asif : Very soon reaching the heights reaching the above two gentlemen have already reached. After an impressive comeback to international cricket when the world fraternity discovered his use of drugs, their fans and board came out to his defence. All his good performances have come under the drug cloud and when challenged to bring forth the same without drugs he is caught with more drugs in Dubai, of all places in the world. Yet, our neighboring country extends him full support, uses diplomacy to get a cheat and crook out of law while the likes of Tanvir toil in the heat trying to establish a position in the side aware that the day the Dubai druggie is clear they'll be shunted out. Whoever knows me and my posts here would know I am not a fan of the BCCI by any stretch of imagination but I admire the strong stance they have taken against Harbajan - expelled for the IPL and two tournaments. I would have preferred it to be a six month ban, but still the BCCI took a stance and therein lies one of the major differences between the future of Pakistan and Indian cricket. Accountability has to be given a weight and wrong doings a punishment. In this professional world finding an Imran Khan to turn the fortunes around for Pakistan cricket will prove difficult, becoming more professional is the easier and safer route to take.

Good post Shwetabh, I agree with you 100%. I think its desperation from the pak fans , PCB has no clue how to fix the mess it has since the domestic cricket is basically non-existent. I also believe that obsession of Pakistan with fast bowling also has something to with this down fall. Akhtar got away just because he was bowling fast. Inzi didnt like him but he was in the side cuz he could bowl fast. PCB also ignored his antics just because he bowls fast. Coaching has also been an issue with Pak cricket. All pakistani coaches had favorites and they were more concerned about playing their Xi rather than looking for talent and giving chances to the youngsters.

I also believe that obsession of Pakistan with fast bowling also has something to with this down fall. Akhtar got away just because he was bowling fast. Inzi didnt like him but he was in the side cuz he could bowl fast. PCB also ignored his antics just because he bowls fast.
For all the flak that Inzis bhaiss tokk as captain, sidelining Akhtar was one of his good points but never materialized. If ever there was a cancer they are Akhtar and Afridi.

the problem PCB is facing today...is the problem pakistan is facing as a country... when there is no fundamental structure in place...the structure can not survive for long.. PCB has always ignored the domestic players..and its demoralizing for them... what motivation does PCB provides for these players to play...? more than these players which shwetabh has mentioned...i would hold PCB responsible for the mess it is in. since 2003 ...when Ws retired...Pakistan cricket is in rebuilding phase...and that phase seems endless... the thing is that pakistani cricket also encouraged easy ways..like biased umpires...Ball tempering with pepsi caps..performance enhancing drugs ..etc etc...and players were not punished for any of such "crimes".. indiscipline is the synonym of pakistan cricket... first Pakistani players need to be disciplined...

I have a theory, Shwetabh. And that is that Pakistan's relatively successful cricketing history can be explained entirely by the back to back emergence of its three great fast bowlers. True, it has produced its fair share of good batsmen and spinners, but none have had the exponential effect that Imran and the 2 Ws have. It's chance, a pretty freak one, that these gentlemen emerged when they did, but this was not going to happen again, of course. No amount of doping and chucking can produce greatness, which is handed out only in small measures and only once or twice in a generation. It simply illustrates your oft made point of the role that bowlers play in their side's fortunes. Great bowlers make the greatest difference. I'm afraid Pakistan used up all her luck with these three. Having said that, you could have clevely delayed this thread until we won today. There will be pie to lick off if we lose.:D

I have a theory, Shwetabh. And that is that Pakistan's relatively successful cricketing history can be explained entirely by the back to back emergence of its three great fast bowlers. True, it has produced its fair share of good batsmen and spinners, but none have had the exponential effect that Imran and the 2 Ws have. It's chance, a pretty freak one, that these gentlemen emerged when they did, but this was not going to happen again, of course. No amount of doping and chucking can produce greatness, which is handed out only in small measures and only once or twice in a generation.
The very fact that Pakistan produced two all time great fast bowlers and one tremendously good one(sorry, I don't consider Waqar in the same league as Imran and Akram) is not just a coincidence. Imran was pretty much a part and parcel of the revelations of Akram and Waqar. True, with their supreme talent they might have come through anyways but their longevity and success at the international level can be attributed to Imran to a decent part. The mistake Pakistan is committing is searching for another Imran or Akram, he is not going to come by. Start with your grass roots, build up from bottom up, geniuses don't happen so often.

GIB - all your points about the ineffectiveness and shoddyness of PCB are well taken but ultimately a team is built of players on the field and the PCB is a mere reflection of followers of Pakistani cricket want - some hyped up pacer who is hit all over the park over a test series, some slogger who captures the imagination of the seriously cricket retards, and a bowler who has yet to deliver anything outside the cloud of drugs.

And there is 200% assurance that fertile lands of Pakistan will continue producing next gen. Asifs, Akhatars and Afridi mards in it's full glory. be it Cricket or otherwise, the invlovement of Pakistan means unadulterated entertainment at the cost of grace and honor of the game itself.

GIB - all your points about the ineffectiveness and shoddyness of PCB are well taken but ultimately a team is built of players on the field and the PCB is a mere reflection of followers of Pakistani cricket want - some hyped up pacer who is hit all over the park over a test series' date=' some slogger who captures the imagination of the seriously cricket retards, and a bowler who has yet to deliver anything outside the cloud of drugs.[/quote'] actually Pak fans will support what is available to them...they supported Sami...Rana..type players..and hyped them as if they are reincarnation of Ws... the thing with pakistan cricket is that they got players outside the system...there are hardly any domestic star player which was in the pakistani team...so their domestic system could not develop.. as dhondy said...people can't get lucky all the time....a systematic and organised structure has higher probability to produce results... Australia can never produce a Warne ever..but they will get one..which will be decent enough to compete in international cricket.. Pakistan needs a total system overhaul... they need to synchronize with the domestics matches...their training facilities..their selection...their development...etc etc.. they need a vision...
I have a theory' date=' Shwetabh. And that is that [b']Pakistan's relatively successful cricketing history can be explained entirely by the back to back emergence of its three great fast bowlers. True, it has produced its fair share of good batsmen and spinners, but none have had the exponential effect that Imran and the 2 Ws have.
Not at all Dhondy. Pakistan's emergence as a force in cricket can be traced right to the days of Fazal Mehmood and Abdul Hafiz Kardaar. Pakistan has a wonderful captain in Kardaar who basicallly built a strong team around him. Pakistan probably has the best record amongst most test playing nations when it comes to early days. They had an excellent bowling attack in Fazal Mahmood and Khan Mohammed and atleast one Test class bat in Hanif Mohammed. Look at Fazal Mahmood's stats: 34 Tests 139 wickets@24.7 If you consider Tests won it comes to 7 Tests 65 wickets@10.7. Those are awesome stats in ANY era, and for a newbie Test nation that is pure gold. I would go on so far to say Fazal Mehmood was as good a bowler as Imran, even better considering the odds he faced. His partner in crime Khan Mohammed was not exactly worthless either. He has 54 wickets@23.9 in 13 Tests. Actually it is a great misnomer that Imran made Pakistan a great team. Pakistan was a pretty formidable side even before Imran established himself. Even in late 60s/70s they had a formidable side with Majid, Asif Iqbals, Sarfarazs, Zaheer Abbas. xxx

Coming to the OP while I do see the merit of Shwetabh's argument in criticizing Akhtar, Afridi and Mohammed Asif, to me the downfall of Pakistan cricket owes more to Imran Khan Niazi than anyone else. Imran basically ruled Pakistan cricket the way General Zia ruled Pakistan nation. If he wanted someone in team he would get it, no questions asked. And noone, not even the Great Imran Khan, gets everything right everytime(Malcolm Sami anyone??). So when people are quick to praise Imran as to how he picked Wasim Akram from the streets(actually it was Miandad but folklore credits Imran) or Waqar, they totally forget how this approach pretty much screwed any little organization that PCB has/had. Domestic cricket went for a toss, and a lot of players simply did not play as much as they could because Imran didnt want it(Iqbal Qasim for example). Imran was such a big figure that no one questioned him. After he retired players like Akram, Waqar basically tried that same approach(leading team without any questions asked) but they did not have the same personality as Imran. This approach came to head when Inzzy was on the forefront and he had neither the charisma nor the talent as Imran, or even an Akram. Today when Pakistani fans keep chanting about how domestic cricket(and its structure) should be improved, a fair question becomes when and how did this structure collapse?? xxx

Great OP, Prof. Completely agree with your comments on the three turds. As idiotic as these prima donnas are, I would apportion a fair share of blame on the PCB. BCCI, inspite of its single point agenda of making a boatload of money, has been doing some good things once in while. PCB, OTOH, is completely mismanaged. Its manned by jokers & ruled by a dictator. It is neither successful as a money making organization, nor as a cricketing body. How can PCB's product be any superior ? Pakistan may have been successful in the past, in cherry picking raw talent off the streets. But its not a sustainable strategy. It takes a long time to build a good team & for that, the foundations have to be laid at the grass roots level. Inspite of the problems posed by the stated individuals, Pakistan as a cricket team, suffers more because of PCB.