All time dream XIs- India vs Saffies

Sooda

An ODI X1 (all-time) is usually tough to pick considering larger pool and lots of players doing well at some point of time during their career, but anyways I will give it a shot More over, I look to create a balance in the side whereby I can attack both with the ball and the bat, which means I am looking to pick proper bowlers who look to pick up wkts, all-rounders who balance the side and ofc batsmen who can play both pace and spin well, along with the ability to do well in most conditions. So you won't find me picking 4 bowlers, with part-timers bowling the 5th bowlers quota. And you won't even find me picking batsmen who have are not known to do well in most conditions - Tendulkar - Sehwag - Gambhir / Sidhu - Dravid - Ganguly - Kapil - Dhoni - Shastri - Srinath - Zaheer - Kumble

An ODI X1 (all-time) is usually tough to pick considering larger pool and lots of players doing well at some point of time during their career, but anyways I will give it a shot More over, I look to create a balance in the side whereby I can attack both with the ball and the bat, which means I am looking to pick proper bowlers who look to pick up wkts, all-rounders who balance the side and ofc batsmen who can play both pace and spin well, along with the ability to do well in most conditions. So you won't find me picking 4 bowlers, with part-timers bowling the 5th bowlers quota. And you won't even find me picking batsmen who have are not known to do well in most conditions - Tendulkar - Sehwag - Gambhir / Sidhu - Dravid - Ganguly - Kapil - Dhoni - Shastri - Srinath - Zaheer - Kumble
Not a bad side but Shastri was probably too slow, even if he could hit the ball around not sure how often he did it in ODIs where his main role was to be Srikkanths foil at the top. In any case Yuvraj can play Shastris role in your team easily provide 5/6 overs of tide left arm and is a vastly superior ODI bat. Ganguly at 5? MSD lower than Kapil? :hmmm:
Very different line-up and order of the line-up. Middle order of Dravid and Ganguly will significantly slow the scoring down. Shastri as a lower order batsman is doubtful considering his career ODI strike rate was in the 50s.
Not a bad side but Shastri was probably too slow' date=' even if he could hit the ball around not sure how often he did it in ODIs where his main role was to be Srikkanths foil at the top. In any case Yuvraj can play Shastris role in your team easily provide 5/6 overs of tide left arm and is a vastly superior ODI bat. Ganguly at 5? MSD lower than Kapil? :hmmm:[/quote'] Yuvi is not a bad option and on paper can share the quota of 5th bowler with Ganguly, Sehwag and Tendulkar. Shastri, I have picked more as a bowling all-rounder who bowls spin as I have 3 pacers and 1 spinner. And also considering his form in 1985 where if I recall correctly he was Champion of the Champions (Mots) in the tourney that Ind won in Melbourne. I have seen those clips and he looked pretty good both with the bat and the ball 8 out of 10 folks would probably open with Ten-Gangu but I like Ten-Sehwag combination better esp as they are both good players of pace bowling. If you are selecting an all-time X1, then it's assumed that it's playing an all time X1 of other teams too. I imagined Marshall and Holding, Lilliee and McGrath, Imran and Wasim, Donald and Pollock in their best bowling and Tendulkar and Sehwag looked like better option. Ganguly at 5 is also useful as he can milk the bowling and accelerate too. Kapil is sandwiched b/w Ganguly and Dhoni being the most explosive batsman down the order. If he fires then Ind would be in a strong position, if he fails then Dhoni can play his usual game. And then we have a buffer at 8 in Shastri, if things go horrible wrong
Very different line-up and order of the line-up. Middle order of Dravid and Ganguly will significantly slow the scoring down. Shastri as a lower order batsman is doubtful considering his career ODI strike rate was in the 50s.
Not really as both Dravid and Ganguly are pretty experienced. And you need players like them in the middle order considering the all time bowling of the other team Why would Shastri be doubtful when I have already picked him in my team. He has my confidence :P
No Dravid in ODIs please. My team Ganguly Sachin Sehwag Azhar Mohinder Amarnath Jadeja Dhoni Kapil Robin Singh Srinath Kumble
Are you stupid. He is our greatest finisher ever. Maybe an average of 40 and 10,000 runs isn't enough for some idiots... Virender Sehwag Sachin Tendulkar Saurav Ganguly © Rahul Dravid Yuvraj Singh MS Dhoni Kapil Dev Irfan Pathan (Old) Anil Kumble Harbhajan Singh Zaheer Khan