Spinning Facts

India's two front line spinners: Harbhajan Singh 43 overs, 2 wickets, 149 runs A Kumble 37 0 121 That brings Harbhajan's stats in Sri Lanka to an awe inspiring: 63.11 average, at a strike rate of 120. Any reason why this guy is picked again? A part time spinner could better those stats. The most damning figure of all? I know we have to pick Kumble becase he's captain but why are plagued with Harbhajan part time spin? Not to mention all the drama this guy brings whether it's swearing at other players or slapping his team mates. Time for some new blood. As inexperienced as Ojha is I would rather go with him in tandem with Sehwag and add an extra seamer. As if the figures above weren't bad enough look at what the Sri Lankan spinners have achieved so far in their short spell: Sri Lankan spinners so far in the same conditions: BAW Mendis 14 overs 45 runs 1 wicket M Muralitharan 14 overs 35 4 wickets

Guest dada_rocks

I am sorry to say I agree with OP.. i am not at all happy about it but Bhajji is too predictable to be effective in test cricket.. let us drop him and bring someone like Mishra

diff between kumble and bhajji is, when kumble is bowling tight, they can massacre effin bhajji, i mean everyone loves to hit sixes of him. Cant say the same about kumble. Dravid ur first post in this thread is stupid, kumble gave 11 runs in 10 overs with his catches being dropped at patta wicket like that is unbelieveable.

we have to pick kumble cus he is captain? wtf, if he not performing, get rid of him... bhajji 2 wickets here.. jumbo none.. and here u r *****ing about bhajji haterr
Maybe because the mind of most people here are not limited to 1 or 2 matches or series but they are considering the poor form of a player for 3 F**KING years! If a batsmen scored a 30 and Sachin made two consecutives scores of 0 after the former has been averaging 15 for 3 yrs would you drop the former or would you drop Sachin?
Maybe because the mind of most people here are not limited to 1 or 2 matches or series but they are considering the poor form of a player for 3 F**KING years! If a batsmen scored a 30 and Sachin made two consecutives scores of 0 after the former has been averaging 15 for 3 yrs would you drop the former or would you drop Sachin?
Why bother explaining this to the knuckleheads? I suspected Harbhajan would struggle in Sri Lanka because his previous record here and how he's not consistent enough to give the ball genuine loop and air to try and beat the batsmen through flight. The Sri Lankans are good enough to play Harbhajan straight up and it's not just one poor test performance. He's been average for some time now outside India and the only reason he's even included in the squad is because the inexperience of other spinners. Well, if we're ever going to blood a new spinner then this tour is the right time as the conditions and pitch naturally suit spin so there will be something for the new guy. The way to win here is to have your seamers take advantage of the new ball, keep them fresh by bowling short spells of consistent line and length after the new ball to keep things tight (put the pressure on the batsmen) and then get the spinners to build that pressure by not leaking runs. Kumble was doing this but Harbhajan and Ganguly bowling first change is ridiculous.
Why bother explaining this to the knuckleheads? I suspected Harbhajan would struggle in Sri Lanka because his previous record here and how he's not consistent enough to give the ball genuine loop and air to try and beat the batsmen through flight. The Sri Lankans are good enough to play Harbhajan straight up and it's not just one poor test performance. He's been average for some time now outside India and the only reason he's even included in the squad is because the inexperience of other spinners. Well, if we're ever going to blood a new spinner then this tour is the right time as the conditions and pitch naturally suit spin so there will be something for the new guy. The way to win here is to have your seamers take advantage of the new ball, keep them fresh by bowling short spells of consistent line and length after the new ball to keep things tight (put the pressure on the batsmen) and then get the spinners to build that pressure by not leaking runs. Kumble was doing this but Harbhajan and Ganguly bowling first change is ridiculous.
Lets just say this. If Mendis was an Indian, he would never be blooded for another 5 years becuase we would be stuck with Bhajji
Lets just say this. If Mendis was an Indian' date=' he would never be blooded for another 5 years becuase we would be stuck with Bhajji[/quote'] Kartik questions dropping from Indian ODI team Cricinfo staff July 29, 2008 Murali Kartik: 'Am I even in the reckoning anymore?' © AFP Murali Kartik, the left-arm spinner, has expressed disappointment with his treatment by the Indian selectors, saying he was not given an explanation after being dropped from the one-day side. "They (the selectors) dropped me after I was the Man of the Match against Australia so I have nothing to say regarding this matter," Kartik said told Cricketnirvana.com. "I was not given a valid reasoning behind my axe from the team. There are spinners in this country who continue to get picked, whereas I was dropped after delivering great performances, that too against world champions Australia. How do you justify that?" Kartik, who claimed figures of 6 for 27 in the final match of the seven-match ODI series against Australia at home last year, before getting three games against Pakistan, was upset over the lack of scrutiny after he was ignored for the CB series. "Sadly, nobody seemed to ask questions of the selectors when I got dropped last year following the series against Australia. "Am I even in the reckoning anymore? Is there a reason behind it? Has anybody cared to investigate why I was overlooked? I have played international cricket for almost nine years now and I cannot remember when I underperformed." Since being overlooked, Kartik has helped Middlesex clinch the Twenty20 Cup, and is now looking forward to the Stanford Super Series, where his side will take on an England XI, the Stanford Super Stars, and West Indies' domestic Twenty20 champions Trinidad in a series of matches. "Well, I am definitely going to be a part of the Middlesex team that will play in Antigua this year and am enormously excited about it," he said. © Cricinfo
Let's not forget that the Indian spinners were bowling mostly on days 1 and 2 while the Sri Lankan spinners were bowling on day 3 and 4. The first day was pretty much washed out. Spinners are usually more effective days 4 and 5.
Really? The Indian spinners bowled 24 or so overs grabbing 1 wicket on day 3 and they declared. Sri Lankan spinners bowled 33 overs just after that and grabbed 5 wickets on the same day. The difference was remarkeable. I don't think Jawardana took off either of his spinners once they came on because the way they pressured out batsmen, and took absolute control didn't require any change in bowling. Whereas, Harbhajan and Kumble simply didn't bowl as long continiously because they were clearly ineffective and Kumble had to go to his seamers to try and make something out of nothing.

Tremendous bowling by Harbhajan and Kumble. 17 overs, 63 runs and 0 wickets. They are about as threatening as a wet kitten. What a lovely day for cricket if you're a Sri Lankan batsmen. Set your bat to cruise control and pile up the runs against these worthless spinners. Meanwhile we still go in with four bowlers and Kumble refuses to accept that Harbhajan and himself aren't going to threaten the Sri Lankan batting lineup. We need some damn variety and options here and all Kumble has is over bowl the seamers and grind them into the dust or bowl some crappy spin with Harbhajan and himself. What a plan!!