One impressive sign from Gambhir

While I've criticized him a fair bit in the past for being a little too loose at times against swing bowling or lacking concentration, he handled the spin threats very well this match. Until that idiotic brain fade in the 2nd innings when he tried to dominate Murali, he actually was looking quite at ease against Murali's turn, using the depth of the crease well, playing late and looking the most comfortable of all the Indian bats so far in the match. Perhaps it might be worth going with the time honoured Indian tradition of promoting the keeper to open (especially if it's Parthiv next match), and letting Gambhir shift to the middle order to handle the spin threats? (Worth noting as well that we also had a few partnerships - however small - being forged between the batsmen until he got out, at which points wickets basically started tumbling).

Am now a convert. Gambhir has totally changed my impression of him. He must accompany Sehwag in all forms of the game, as our opener.

Perhaps it might be worth going with the time honoured Indian tradition of promoting the keeper to open (especially if it's Parthiv next match), and letting Gambhir shift to the middle order to handle the spin threats? (Worth noting as well that we also had a few partnerships - however small - being forged between the batsmen until he got out, at which points wickets basically started tumbling).
I wouldnt fiddle around with our openers, yet. Both Gambhir & Veeru bat, run well together. Parthiv, if picked, is making a come back after a long time in Tests. I would also not trust DK to be a good opener, in his current form. There is no running away for our Fab four, from Murali or Mendis. Our middle order must find a way to counter them, regardless of what the openers do.