Farooq Engineer > Virender Sehwag

Guest Hiten.

Guest Hiten.

.....according to Farooq himself. Mumbai: From 1884 Test matches played so far by all Test playing nations, only four batsmen (Victor Trumper, C G Macartney, Don Bradman and Majid Khan) have hit centuries before lunch on the first day of a Test. Majid Khan was the last player to do so against New Zealand at Karachi in 1976-77 series. Don Bradman of course has reached the three figure mark in all three sessions of a day. "A long period of 30 years where no batsman could achieve this feat shows how difficult the task would be," the former India stumper Farokh Engineer, who was also close to do so but missed by mere six runs, said from England. Interestingly Engineer hit the sixer and completed the ton on a very first ball after lunch. "I feel sorry for Virender Sehwag. Coming so close to achieving it. I wish him better luck next time," he said. Sehwag missed the ton by nine runs before lunch on Thursday against Sri Lanka at Galle. "However, I would love to congratulate him for coming close to my score," he added. "I don't want to take away credit from him. But my knock was against the best knock against Wes Hall, Griffith, Sobers and Gibbs. The West Indies pace bowlers used to bowl at the speed of 100 miles per hour," he further added. "I had no intentions of hitting the century before lunch on that particular day (1966-67 at Chennai), the inning came by fluke." :hysterical: "Our bats in those days were not as sophisticated as the ones used by international players nowadays. We had no helmets and present type of body protectors," he signed off.

"I don't want to take away credit from him. But my knock was against the best knock against Wes Hall, Griffith, Sobers and Gibbs. The West Indies pace bowlers used to bowl at the speed of 100 miles per hour," he further added. Thats the punchline for me :hysterical: btw...B_B did you edited it a bit too much?

"I don't want to take away credit from him. But my knock was against the best knock against Wes Hall, Griffith, Sobers and Gibbs. The West Indies pace bowlers used to bowl at the speed of 100 miles per hour," he further added. Thats the punchline for me :hysterical: btw...B_B did you edited it a bit too much?
What are you laughing about ? That West Indian attack was terrifying. Wes Hall is one of the greatest out and out fast bowlers WI has ever produced and Griffith was one of the fastest bowlers of his generation (albeit a chucker). Griffith even fractured Contractor's skull with a bouncer. Together, they RAPED Indian batting lineups. To score a quick hundred against those bowlers - that too without helmets, adequate padding, etc. - is an amazing achievement. Engineer can brag about it all he likes.
well he must be kidding or sarcastic. i don't know why you guys are taking it seriously or calling Engineer to shut up.
Engineer is merely saying that his 94* before lunch against Hall etc was better than Sehwag's 91* before lunch in Galle. It is a perfectly valid claim. Where does he say that his 109 on that day is better than Sehwag's 201* or that Engineer was a better batsman than Sehwag ?