Another View

Dhondy

In the wake of the first Test, when things were getting just a bit testy on the forum, I PMed Shwetabh with a message that said, "Who knows, India might just rediscover their lost spark, which will put us all in a much better mood..." Little did I know that Shwetabh would take me so literally. Post-Galle, the change in mood was so extreme, that passerbys in New York have stared goggle-eyed at the slightly portly, professorial looking fellow skipping along the pavement miming a straight drive. The company psychiatrist has had to prescribe lithium to suppress the distinctly manic symptoms, that have involved writing unsolicited letters to cricket captains the world over. Not that the Indian cricket captain could be distracted by such matters. He had just one thing on his mind.....revenge. No, not retribution for the humiliation at SSC, but an insatiable bloodthirst for the many butterfingered drops, more numerous than the misdeeds of overfed pigeons around Trafalgar square, that Parthiv Patel had inflicted on him in Australia 4 years ago. Today, he extracted his pound of flesh. Parthiv will forever have a crooked nose as a memento of Kumble's ire. You don't cross the Indian captain and get away easily. Ask Bucknor. Against a background of such ill-feelings, it was refreshing to see Dileep Premachandran has given up all pretense of cricket writing to become a disc jockey. In the middle of describing an enthralling day's play, he seemed to break into a jig, reciting Paul Simon, " You Can Call Me Al , Why am I soft in the middle, The rest of my life is so hard". Hullo there, Dileep, Trent FM are looking for DJs, I hear. You'll have to update your music taste a bit though. But the revelation from a little birdie took the cake. For the first time in a series, the combined age of four middle order batsmen had exceeded their total contribution with the bat (at the beginning of this Test). It is quite fitting therefore, that one of them is nursing a crocked elbow (again), and the other, a dicey ankle.

Some good points Dhondy. After the first innings falter here even I am starting to have a rethink about our middle order but would give them one full series against the Aussies to get those juices and runs flowing again. One thing to remember is that we are in unchartered territory - no one has previously faced Murali/Mendis in tests let alone on their home turf. But even after all this we remain favorites by an ever small margin if we can curtail SL below 300.

Good post there Dhondi. I think the middle order needs to be examined individually and not collectively. We have praised them and adored them as a unit for a long time. Success comes as a unit but in failure sometimes its necessary to examine individual problems. I am not at all worried about Sachin and Ganguly as they were performing excellently till very recently. A bad series can happen to anyone. I am truly worried about Dravid. Its been a long time that he has been in horrible form. He hasn't been able to judge anything....spin or fast. I seriously believe he needs a break and then try again. Laxman was never a very consistent performer. He always produced some brilliant knocks in between cameos. The cameos have evaporated. Laxman simply does not look like the old Laxman. The man who played fast and spin bowling with equal ease. He might just be at the end of his potential career.

Just came back from a short vacation. I am not disappointed that I missed the last couple of days at all. Screw all these pretenders. I read a lot about poor fielding & bowling efforts, but the score card tells me that we hit par in those departments. This is how Indian bowling & fielding is. The good & the great days are usually an exception, than a norm. A 150 run lead, after a 62/0 start in the 2nd inns, was still within striking distance. What happened to our famed middle order ? The Fab four combined, have time and again, shown the spine of a centipede. Once in a year these guys play up to their potential together & then we start comparing them with the Aussie batting lineup and other great middle orders in cricket history. Does any sane poster here think that the Aussie batsmen would have caved in like that, in a series deciding Test, regardless of its bowling or fielding efforts ? This isnt the first time, these old farts have let us down. It happened in Bangalore, Karachi, Capetown, Mumbai & on so many other countless occassions. Expect injuries, their history, averages, centuries, our poor bowling attack & all other meaningless stats & rhetorics to be thrown at you. Its a complete waste of time, following these guys and even more, posting about this farcical show, sold to us as a competitive Test match. I'll rather go back & wade thru my 200+ emails at work or play with my kiddo. Screw these chumps! And thank you, Parthretard for not giving us any false hopes about your potential. Atleast we now know, in you and KKD, we got a pair of goal keepers, aspiring to play the wrong sport. Rant over!

Just came back from a short vacation. I am not disappointed that I missed the last couple of days at all. Screw all these pretenders. I read a lot about poor fielding & bowling efforts, but the score card tells me that we hit par in those departments. This is how Indian bowling & fielding is. The good & the great days are usually an exception, than a norm. A 150 run lead, after a 62/0 start in the 2nd inns, was still within striking distance. What happened to our famed middle order ? The Fab four combined, have time and again, shown the spine of a centipede. Once in a year these guys play up to their potential together & then we start comparing them with the Aussie batting lineup and other great middle orders in cricket history. Does any sane poster here think that the Aussie batsmen would have caved in like that, in a series deciding Test, regardless of its bowling or fielding efforts ? This isnt the first time, these old farts have let us down. It happened in Bangalore, Karachi, Capetown, Mumbai & on so many other countless occassions. Expect injuries, their history, averages, centuries, our poor bowling attack & all other meaningless stats & rhetorics to be thrown at you. Its a complete waste of time, following these guys and even more, posting about this farcical show, sold to us as a competitive Test match. I'll rather go back & wade thru my 200+ emails at work or play with my kiddo. Screw these chumps! And thank you, Parthretard for not giving us any false hopes about your potential. Atleast we now know, in you and KKD, we got a pair of goal keepers, aspiring to play the wrong sport. Rant over!
Wow, thats just way way wayyyyyyyyyyyy over the top. All those home series that the current group of guys won for us, Eng 2002, Aus 2003/04, Pakistan 2004, West Indies 2006, Eng 2007, Aus 2007/08 all seem a distant memory now dont they?
Wow, thats just way way wayyyyyyyyyyyy over the top. All those home series that the current group of guys won for us, Eng 2002, Aus 2003/04, Pakistan 2004, West Indies 2006, Eng 2007, Aus 2007/08 all seem a distant memory now dont they?
What do you expect after six failures from the 'supposed great players of spin', in as many attempts ? Flowers & Bouquets ? Look elsewhere. No mercy for this hyped up cricket team, for completing ruining my mood. For all the time and passion I invested in this team, I atleast deserve to rant that much, without coming across as a fool. I simply had to get that disgusting feeling out of my system! Not that I feel any better, just that it releases so much frustration out of my system.
What do you expect after six failures from the 'supposed great players of spin'' date=' in as many attempts ? Flowers & Bouquets ? Look elsewhere. No mercy for this hyped up cricket team, for completing ruining my mood. For all the time and passion I invested in this team, I atleast deserve to rant that much, without coming across as a fool. I simply had to get that disgusting feeling out of my system! Not that I feel any better, just that it releases so much frustration out of my system.[/quote'] No one is asking you to not criticize the batsman for the performance in this series, but some of the comments in the previous post was definitely in bad taste and not fully justified. Stuff like 'The Fab four combined, have time and again, shown the spine of a centipede' and 'Once in a year these guys play up to their potential together & then we start comparing them with the Aussie batting lineup and other great middle orders in cricket history' is what I have a problem with. I suppose, as you had mentioned, you had to get that rant out.. :D
What do you expect after six failures from the 'supposed great players of spin'' date=' in as many attempts ? Flowers & Bouquets ? Look elsewhere. No mercy for this hyped up cricket team, for completing ruining my mood. For all the time and passion I invested in this team, I atleast deserve to rant that much, without coming across as a fool. I simply had to get that disgusting feeling out of my system! Not that I feel any better, just that it releases so much frustration out of my system.
Saying it as it is - Not mincing any words! :two_thumbs_up: This MO deserves to be thrown to the dogs, Bumper (despite Chandan might say since BCCI are dogs, that has already been accomplished). No shame for our MO. Such nonsense perf after we follow the team all through day and night. WE NEED TO SEE THE REPERCUSSIONS of such a shocking performance. The nation will demand it hopefully, and the board has to hold the pathetic MO accountable. They got to BAT FIRST on a decider test :angry_smile: and threw it away! Got lucky in toss, but squandered it.