Indian batting lineup - Analysis?

arkay

Now that Tests are over, lets concentrate on odis. The spinners are going to have a massive say in the outcome of the series. Indian batting line-up would be under tremendous pressure to face the likes of Mendis and Murali. The batsmen who are proven to play playing M&M would be: * Sehwag & Gambhir The batsmen who have the talent to play M&M, but did not play M&M in SL would be: * Raina & Dhoni The batsmen who are unproven, but have a chance of success would be: * Badrinath The batsmen who would struggle based on past experience would be: * Yuvraj Singh Sehwag, Gambhir, Dhoni and Raina should occupy the crease the most of the time. All others should be floaters and should come according to the situation. Yuvraj Singh: It would make sense for Yuvraj to come when the pacers are bowling. It would help him to middle the ball and gain confidence. So when the spinners come on, he would atleast be a bit confident. Badrinath: Badri could be the wild card for both India and Srilanka. Considering the fact, Badri and Murali play for Chennai Super kings - badri may used to his bowling facing him on the nets. However, he is yet to face Mendis. Going by the web statistics, Badri is a good player of spin. If he gets a good start, he could be handy Rohit Sharma: After a good IPL tournament, Rohit Sharma was all at sea in the Asia cup and in Bangladesh. So I am not able to judge Rohit ability to play spin. During IPL, he took on the likes of Murali, Bhajji, Warne, Mishra and Pathan well. However he was all at sea facing Mendis during asia cup. The key for him would be get in when the pacers bowl. It would help him to middle the ball before M&M comes onboard. 1. Sehwag 2. Gambhir 3. 4. Dhoni 5. 6. Raina 7. Unlike the asia cup and bangladesh, this series would not be a high scoring series. The bowlers (esp. spinners would have a say). Considering that, we need to preserve wickets so that we can have a late flourish. I dont want Raina coming in at #3 as we will have put all the eggs in the same basket. I am more inclined to try Badri at No.3 as he is someone who can stay in the middle and build a good innings. I would be more inclined to put Rohit sharma at No.3. But he was a flop in Asia cup and Bangladesh and that would have a bearing on him. Most of the spinners overs should be faced by the likes of Dhoni & Raina. They would need to shield their partners until a Yuvraj / Rohit / Raina can take charge. This is the tournament for which someone like Yusuf Pathan would have been more suited. Even though he was a flop, he can take charge against spinners. He was fairly successful during the IPL. But he was a utter flop during the asia cup / bangladesh. He could have been given a run considering the fact that his brother Irfan is not in the team. Let me know - what you think? If Badri / Rohit is not performing after 2-3 matches, it would make sense to try out Virat Kohli.

Now that Tests are over, lets concentrate on odis. The spinners are going to have a massive say in the outcome of the series. Indian batting line-up would be under tremendous pressure to face the likes of Mendis and Murali. The batsmen who are proven to play playing M&M would be: * Sehwag & Gambhir The batsmen who have the talent to play M&M, but did not play M&M in SL would be: * Raina & Dhoni The batsmen who are unproven, but have a chance of success would be: * Badrinath The batsmen who would struggle based on past experience would be: * Yuvraj Singh Sehwag, Gambhir, Dhoni and Raina should occupy the crease the most of the time. All others should be floaters and should come according to the situation. Yuvraj Singh: It would make sense for Yuvraj to come when the pacers are bowling. It would help him to middle the ball and gain confidence. So when the spinners come on, he would atleast be a bit confident. Badrinath: Badri could be the wild card for both India and Srilanka. Considering the fact, Badri and Murali play for Chennai Super kings - badri may used to his bowling facing him on the nets. However, he is yet to face Mendis. Going by the web statistics, Badri is a good player of spin. If he gets a good start, he could be handy Rohit Sharma: After a good IPL tournament, Rohit Sharma was all at sea in the Asia cup and in Bangladesh. So I am not able to judge Rohit ability to play spin. During IPL, he took on the likes of Murali, Bhajji, Warne, Mishra and Pathan well. However he was all at sea facing Mendis during asia cup. The key for him would be get in when the pacers bowl. It would help him to middle the ball before M&M comes onboard. 1. Sehwag 2. Gambhir 3. 4. Dhoni 5. 6. Raina 7. Unlike the asia cup and bangladesh, this series would not be a high scoring series. The bowlers (esp. spinners would have a say). Considering that, we need to preserve wickets so that we can have a late flourish. I dont want Raina coming in at #3 as we will have put all the eggs in the same basket. I am more inclined to try Badri at No.3 as he is someone who can stay in the middle and build a good innings. I would be more inclined to put Rohit sharma at No.3. But he was a flop in Asia cup and Bangladesh and that would have a bearing on him. Most of the spinners overs should be faced by the likes of Dhoni & Raina. They would need to shield their partners until a Yuvraj / Rohit / Raina can take charge. This is the tournament for which someone like Yusuf Pathan would have been more suited. Even though he was a flop, he can take charge against spinners. He was fairly successful during the IPL. But he was a utter flop during the asia cup / bangladesh. He could have been given a run considering the fact that his brother Irfan is not in the team. Let me know - what you think? If Badri / Rohit is not performing after 2-3 matches, it would make sense to try out Virat Kohli.
In that case...Yuvi should be among the openers. Any other time....Mahela will just bring chucklitharan or Medis as soon as Yuvi comes to bat.

I dont think except VS and GG anyone is gonna be able to play M&M well. Even Badri who is a decent player of spin will struggle, bcos the Fab-4 (who are good to excellent players of spin themselves) could not do zilch. But hopefully Badri will improve given enough chances.

^ Remember they have 20 over in between them. See them off, and milk Vaas and company. I know it is easier said than done, but it is a tremendously better situation than in tests. Plus if one of Sehwag or Gambhir sticks it out, they can probably take M&M out of attack in an ODI. Yes, I remember Asia cup final, but still!

I dont think except VS and GG anyone is gonna be able to play M&M well. Even Badri who is a decent player of spin will struggle, bcos the Fab-4 (who are good to excellent players of spin themselves) could not do zilch. But hopefully Badri will improve given enough chances.
Badri has 2-3 matches to prove. If he is a flop in this series, he would never be in the team again.
Badri has 2-3 matches to prove. If he is a flop in this series' date=' he would never be in the team again.[/quote'] Hopefully he'll do well. Otherwise he could face the fate ur describing. We use different criteria to discard Badri permanently when players like Kaif got like forever chances? or how many failures do we tolerate for Yuvi? Just like celebrity-hobnobbers are given plenty chances, so too other players need to be given a couple of series atleast to see what they can offer. But we can't expect such fairness from BCCI.

Looks like Indian batting will have same fate as Pak bowling after retirement of 2 W's...but its their own fault.The Fab 4 never let any player to establish in middle order and now suddenly India have to replace all 4 of them with kids like Badrinath,Raina who have no experience.

Looks like Indian batting will have same fate as Pak bowling after retirement of 2 W's...but its their own fault.The Fab 4 never let any player to establish in middle order and now suddenly India have to replace all 4 of them with kids like Badrinath' date='Raina who have no experience.[/quote'] What are you talking about? Aren't we talking about ODIs? ... of course Badri and Raina dont have much experience ... regardless of when they started , at some point they would have no experience ... This is them getting experience ... They will take it in their stride and be better players for it ... Our batting line up, even if these young guys dont do anything this series, its a learning process for them and they will keep improving.
What are you talking about? Aren't we talking about ODIs? ... of course Badri and Raina dont have much experience ... regardless of when they started , at some point they would have no experience ... This is them getting experience ... They will take it in their stride and be better players for it ... Our batting line up, even if these young guys dont do anything this series, its a learning process for them and they will keep improving.
i thought u r talking abt tests...

I think we can play murali well and still score over 5 an over.The bowler we have to worry is Mendis and yuvi doesnt pick regular spinners and he will not pick mendis.once again we depend on our openers to lay the foundation for our soft middle order.I think SL are the firm favourites to win all the games.