Ganguly the silent assasin of indian cricket

Rohan495

Thats correct. Ganguly's test average never dropped below 40. Rahul Dravid's average dropped below 40 2/3 times very early in his career. Sehwag's average dropped to 39.91 after he scored 29 and 17 in the 15th test of his career against New Zealand in Ahmedabad. But in the very next match he cracked a 130 to take it well above 40 and never dropped below that again. VVS Laxman's average did not rise above 40 till his 34th match. Once it did, it never dropped below 40 again. But the Assumption that Ganguly is the only Indian batsman is incorrect. Sunil Gavaskar's test average never dropped below 40 either. His average did not drop below 100 till the 7th match. His lowest average must have been 48.something.
yea most people forget that VVS was a middle order batsmen and was forced to open to accomadate useless batsmen like Ganguly in the middle order. Indeed Ganguly was an assasin of indian cricket no matter what people say in this forum
the same worst captain of indian cricket has a amazing 21 test victories including highest number of away victories under his belt the worst captain also took his team to the world cup final and many other famous wins, apart from backing a number of great young talents like bhajji, zaheer, sehwag, yuvraj etc the worst captain also had a great knack for gettin under the skin of scummbags like you:hysterical:
Dont forget that thats when Sehwag, Laxman, Dravid, and bowlers were in prime form ganguly hid behind their perfomances and dont forget that John Wright also was quite instrumental.
Dont forget that thats when Sehwag' date=' Laxman, Dravid, and bowlers were in prime form ganguly hid behind their perfomances and dont forget that John Wright also was quite instrumental.[/quote'] Dont be so naive ... A coach's role in international cricket is quite limited. Especially an Indian coach. Wright was a successful coach because he let Ganguly take control of the team, and didnt get in his way. Not the other way round. One could argue that Sehwag, Laxman, and Dravid all played their best cricket under the captaincy of Ganguly. Certainly not shabby captaincy. Remember Sehwag made his debut under Ganguly's captaincy. Laxman was moved out of opener (where he didnt like batting) and was moved into the middle order, because of Ganguly (even though at the time Laxman averaged 27). You are being extremely naive if you think that Ganguly was not a good captain for India. Between the years 2000 and 2004, he took Indian cricket to a new level, and gave our team a real fighting spirit. Unfortunately for Ganguly, he followed that up with 2 bad years ... in 2005 and 2006. But that does not, and never will detract from his successes.
Again ... its hard to say with Dhoni ... he hasnt even captained for a year yet ' date=' and not even in Test cricket yet ... He could be a great captain , but I'll reserve my decision for when he becomes captain at all levels[/quote'] True.....Most captains have done well in the begining.... Dhoni's worth will be known once he finishes at least two years. As for Ganguly...he is the best captain I have seen. He did have biases and preferences....but he made us look good.
To Me ganguly was the worst captain of indian cricket. Let me highlight what hes done 1. Left out Laxman for the 03 world cup, One that even the world champions fear - 2. Concentrated on developing Yuvraj Harbhajan but didnt bother about the rest of India 3. Biggest non playing captain there was a period where he didnt score runs just because he was the captain 4. Kept a close connection with BCCI villains such as Dalmiya 5. Scored a lot of selfish centuries and half centuries where he wasted so many balls for example against Bangladesh in the world cup 6. Never really dominated world class attacks as he score most of his runs against mediocre weak bowling attacks. Take out Kenya, Zimbabwe, Bangladesh and lets see how his average is 7. Never a great test player but some how managed to pull some chords and bring himself back into the cricket team 8. Was instrumental in running so many of his other teammates out 9. Used his agression as a way to manipulate indians minds that he is a batting great 10. A horrible fielder and runner between the wickets -The list goes on
1. Look Dude, we had a successful World Cup so u cant fault him, well except for choosing to field 1st in the final. And I doubt VVS if he had played in the final would have changed the situation, it was a one-dayer not a test. 2. Nah, he developed other players like Viru, Zaheer, Irfan, Kaif, Nehra and even Dhoni. 3. Ya, true...his form was inexcuable at one time. 4. Arre, the BCCI is a villanious organistion, Jaggu isnt the only evil one. 5. Sometimes he was selfish, fair point, like against Zimbabwe in 2005. 6. Well his average against Aus, NZ, Pak, SA, WI, SL and Eng in ODI's is 37.97, while Dravid's is 38.66 and Tendu's is 42.35.......lower than his career average but decent. But he does suck against Aus, with an average of 23 but his average against SA is a brilliant 50. 7. True, he got himself back, but the young ones were'nt performing well at the time of the SA series. 8. You are spot on. 9. His aggression was good as captain, I don't think he has manipulated Indians, its upto the individual. And people are influenced by the media, so u cant blame Ganguly. 10. Ya, he's crap. He makes me even more nervous when he's batting with Dravid or Laxman. In short, a good player and a great captain.

Ganguly rescued India after the doldrums of match fixing in 2000. Our performance in Eng in 2002, under his leadership, when we drew the test match series and won the Natwest series, marked a new beginning in Indian cricket. It culminated with the WC finals in 2003, a series levelling performance in Aus ( the only team to have done that in the last 14 years) and a first series victory in Pakistan after two decades in 2004. He's probably India's best ever captain.

dwag' date=' the only person who u analyze is VVS, wake up :hysterical:[/quote'] Talk about a class player who was constantly opressed and pushed down as a scapegoat(mainly by ganguly) . Yea why not i argue for a cause. Not like the mainstream topics i hear such as SRT being god, Ganguly is great this that. Might as well stand for a player who has done so much even in ODI cricket against the best team in the world. As Gilly said, It was a joke that Laxman was dropped when he was in prime form and the indian selectors are a disgrace. Ganguly is a disgrace to indian cricket one incident was when he was scared to face Shoaib so he sends in pathan.In all seriousness ive seen Laxman win more matches than Tendulkar has even.
Ganguly rescued India after the doldrums of match fixing in 2000. Our performance in Eng in 2002, under his leadership, when we drew the test match series and won the Natwest series, marked a new beginning in Indian cricket. It culminated with the WC finals in 2003, a series levelling performance in Aus ( the only team to have done that in the last 14 years) and a first series victory in Pakistan after two decades in 2004. He's probably India's best ever captain.
My main point is he was no Gilchrist or no Ponting he never led by example, he always use to hide behind the performances of others. So u cant call him a great captain. Dhoni is the best captain weve seen because hes actually won a t20 competetion and theres no doubt in my mind that dhoni will have a strong impact because he leads by example scores runs in all conditions .yea ganguly led us to the final but does that mean anything.....doesnt mean crap, in sports theres no such thing as second place its about being the best. You cant forget that a lot of players were in prime form during his captaincy but he obviously wasnt

Didnt Ganguly lead by example in Brisbane in 2003/04 ... Didnt Ganguly lead by example in the world cup final in 2003 ... (ok granted he made the wrong decision at the toss, having said that the bowlers must also take some responsibility because the pitch did have something in it, but he backed his instinct and still when he and sehwag were out there we looked like a chance) ... Didnt Ganguly lead by example in the Natwest series final, setting the pace early. Didnt Ganguly lead by example in 2003/04 at the MCG against Australia ... Didnt Ganguly lead by example in Headingly in 2002?

As for VVS Laxman in ODIs. I think he is a fantastic player in Tests (one of the all time greats , and our best crisis player IMO) ... but in ODIs, he had a good couple of games against Australia. To think he was a matchwinner in ODIs is stretching it a lot. he averaged 30 at a SR of 70 despite batting at no.3 ... so basically he did nothing, and took his time.

yea most people forget that VVS was a middle order batsmen and was forced to open to accomadate useless batsmen like Ganguly in the middle order. Indeed Ganguly was an assasin of indian cricket no matter what people say in this forum
Actually, Once Ganguly became captain he immediately shifted Laxman into the middle order because he knew thats where Laxman preferred batting. If you remember , it was actually Ganguly that stuck his neck out in the media to defend VVS Laxman when he was being criticised back in the early 00s.