Your full strength ODI side.

Given that we have now seen good series' from guys like Kohli, Munaf, Raina and Zaheer ... and bad series' from guys like Rohit, Yuvraj and Gambhir ... it now raises a few selection issues. Players that played well in Australia like Rohit Sharma and Gautam Gambhir have struggled in Sri Lanka. Add to that the fact that Badrinath has finally been given a chance to impress and batted well on debut. What is our full strength ODI side? I know we have a rotation policy, but imagine this was a tournament final and we had no injuries ... Who would you pick? This would be my side. Btw, mods ... I apologise if this overlaps with existing threads ... 1. Sehwag 2. Sachin / Gambhir 3. Gambhir / Sachin 4. Raina ??? 5. Dhoni ( c ) 6. Yuvraj / Badrinath ??? 7. Yusuf Pathan ??? 8. Harbhajan Singh 9. Zaheer Khan 10. Ishant Sharma / Praveen Kumar 11. Munaf Patel I have put question marks over spots the positions I believe are really up for grabs. Has Raina cemented no.4. Is Yuvraj still a certainty for ODIs? Who is our no.7? I would still prefer an all-rounder of some sorts.

Given that we have now seen good series' from guys like Kohli, Munaf, Raina and Zaheer ... and bad series' from guys like Rohit, Yuvraj and Gambhir ... it now raises a few selection issues. Players that played well in Australia like Rohit Sharma and Gautam Gambhir have struggled in Sri Lanka. Add to that the fact that Badrinath has finally been given a chance to impress and batted well on debut. What is our full strength ODI side? I know we have a rotation policy, but imagine this was a tournament final and we had no injuries ... Who would you pick? This would be my side. Btw, mods ... I apologise if this overlaps with existing threads ... 1. Sehwag 2. Sachin / Gambhir 3. Gambhir / Sachin 4. Raina ??? 5. Dhoni ( c ) 6. Yuvraj / Badrinath ??? 7. Yusuf Pathan ??? 8. Harbhajan Singh 9. Zaheer Khan 10. Ishant Sharma / Praveen Kumar 11. Munaf Patel I have put question marks over spots the positions I believe are really up for grabs. Has Raina cemented no.4. Is Yuvraj still a certainty for ODIs? Who is our no.7? I would still prefer an all-rounder of some sorts.
Badrinath batted well ? No Kohli who actually scored a fifty and another 30 something ? I would still take Irfan over Yusuf. But the main thing here is that our ODI line up will change a lot depending upon pitch conditions and other factors.
Badrinath batted well ? No Kohli who actually scored a fifty and another 30 something ? I would still take Irfan over Yusuf. But the main thing here is that our ODI line up will change a lot depending upon pitch conditions and other factors.
Same ... I would actually take Irfan over Yusuf, but I feel he needs to concentrate on his bowling for a little while, and get his swing back. I wouldnt pick Kohli or Rohit , because they havent played enough domestic cricket.

my team- sehwag gambhir sachin raina yuvi dhoni irfan/rohit(I too would prefer a allrounder) zaheer ishant/sreeshanth(whoever is fit) bhaji ojha I believe we need a need an all-rounder and right now it looks like we are stuck with irfan pathan.however if we pick 7 batsmen(a distinct possibility)then we might have to go with rohit simply on his experience although I would like to see somebody else get a chance. the next ODI 2 series are against england and the aussies(somebody correct me if i am wrong),so we need 2 spinners in the team definitely and i will go with ojha.

1. Sachin Tendulkar 2. Vidrendar Sehwag 3. Gautam Gambhir 4. Suresh Raina 5. Yuvraj Singh 6. M.S. Dhoni ( c ) 7. Badrinath 8. Harbhajan Singh 9. Zaheer Khan 10. Ishant Sharma / Praveen Kumar 11. Sreesanth / Ojha 12th Man. Irfan Pathan / RP Singh / Yusuf Pathan It mostly depends on conditions like seam, spin, player form etc

no spot for kohli or sreesanth or rp singh? furthermore, tendulkar needs to retire from ODIs to concentrate on tests, and play either rohit sharma or kohli in his spot... manoj tiwary deserves a debut as well. another thing... you guys often limit yourselves to 11! i say, pick 21 players that you feel should be in the reckoning, and from there, suggest a 16 member squad who will keep rotating...
no spot for kohli or sreesanth or rp singh? furthermore, tendulkar needs to retire from ODIs to concentrate on tests, and play either rohit sharma or kohli in his spot... manoj tiwary deserves a debut as well. another thing... you guys often limit yourselves to 11! i say, pick 21 players that you feel should be in the reckoning, and from there, suggest a 16 member squad who will keep rotating...
plz check this score card.. http://content-gulf.cricinfo.com/cbs/engine/match/291359.html
Well Sehwag was injured, Sachin was injured ... we didnt get off to a decent opening start in any of the matches. Ishant was rested too. Whats not to understand? Its not like we caned the Lankans.
we are talking about ODIs and not test so given sehwags ODI record, Kohli didnt exactly let us miss sehwag. Ishant yes he would have been in playing xi but praveen and munaf did a great job. Sachin in ODIs is history, yes he will play a few game and might even get a couple of 100s but an Indian ODI team without sachin is doing just fine.

^ :hysterical: Ok ... Sachin in ODIs is history ... LOL ... OK. He won us the last tournament he played in. Also he was the 2nd highest run scorer in ODIs in 2007. Since then we lost the Kitply cup and the Asia cup, and we won this series because of 2 men Dhoni and Zaheer. Just because Dhoni keeps digging us out of trouble when we're 4 or 5 for not much (and then we bowl well), that means we're doing just fine ... ROFL. Yuvi ... out of form, Gambhir ... poor series ... Rohit ... out of form. Seriously, are you saying Sehwag is not a good ODI player? Let me tell you , don't go by averages in ODIs. If that was the case, Sanath would be deemed just average at best. Sehwag, like Sanath, and like Gilchrist is a "dangerous" player in that he can take apart any bowling attack in the world, and is a genuine matchwinner. Sehwag averages in the low 30s , but strikes in the high 90s. Thats IMO, just as good as someone who averages in the high 30s , but strikes in the 80s. If I was picking an ODI side and I had a choice between Sehwag and Kohli ... I know who I would pick in a heartbeat. I also know who the opposition would def not want to face. Its about the way they score their runs. Sachin and Sehwag are 2 players that can take it to the opposition in the powerplays, without playing risky shots. Just regular shots can provide boundaries because they are both natural timers of the ball.