Indian bowling for BG Trophy 2008

Feed

Amit Mishra deserved the break Amit Mishra has got the break he deserved. It’s been a fairly long and successful journey for the Haryana wrist spinner and he can only get better by spending quality time with Anil Kumble. More... Amit Mishra deserved the break G. Viswanath Mumbai: Amit Mishra has got the break he deserved. It’s been a fairly long and successful journey for the Haryana wrist spinner and he can only get better by spending quality time with Anil Kumble. The traditional thinking that spinners need to be put through the wringer in first-class cricket has prevailed, and Srikkanth and his fellow selectors need to be commended for that. Now, it is up to Mishra to prove his potential against the Australians first, and perhaps against the Englishmen next. Mishra will turn 26 in the last week of November, an age generally considered ripe for a spinner to enter the big stage. After seven years’ experience in domestic competitions and on pitches that have encouraged his type of bowling, Mishra’s record is quite good. He has taken 289 wickets at 25.21 with 16 five-wicket hauls and one 10-wicket effort. Mishra has been equally impressive in limited-overs matches, taking 88 wickets at 27.19. In Twenty20 games, he has 26 scalps at 12.96. He was India’s leading spinner in the last season with 46 wickets in 11 first class matches. Mishra is also a decent batsman and a fine fielder. Healthy competition Srikkanth’s committee has created a healthy competition between Mishra and Piyush Chawla. The Uttar Pradesh leg-spinner has a fine record for a 19-year-old: 142 wickets at 24.97 in first-class games and 77 at 28.07 in limited-over matches. In Twenty20, he has 22 wickets at 22.09. The Mishra-Chawla tussle should indeed be an engrossing one in the years to come.

'Kumble still the best bowler' An ordinary performance in Sri Lanka and no longer young at 38, Anil Kumble came under scanner of critics but former spin greats say the Indian Test captain is still the best bowler in the team. More... 'Kumble still the best bowler' October 04, 2008 17:07 IST An ordinary performance in Sri Lanka [images] and no longer young at 38, Anil Kumble [images] came under scanner of critics but former spin greats say the Indian Test captain is still the best bowler in the team. Spin great Bishen Bedi dismisses any talk of Kumble's dip in form as simply 'ridiculous'. "I have seen a lot of Indian bowlers over the years and for me, Kumble is the best ever. It is ridiculous for people to question his performances," Bedi said. "He is still India's strike bowler and the best bowler. It is a fact of life that Kumble has grown a little old now and his performance has dipped but he is still a deadly bowler. You just have to rewind to earlier this year and you can see that Kumble was troubling the Aussie batsmen in their own backyard," said the former captain when asked whether the Karnataka leg-spinner was still a threat to opposition batsmen. Another spin great Erapalli Prasanna felt that a lot will depend on Kumble if India had to win the forthcoming Test series against Australia [images], against whom the Indian captain has a fantastic record having taken 108 wickets from 18 Tests. "This is the weakest Australian batting line-up that has ever traveled to India. It is advantageous for Kumble that he does not have to bowl at top-quality batsmen of spin bowling. A lot depends on how well he fares and the series will be won or loss on that," said Prasanna. "He is old but is still extremely consistent with his line and length. You cannot expect a champion bowler like him to perform forever. He is ageing and his role has also changed. In the 90s, he was the only strike bowler that India had but the scenario has changed recently. However I still feel that a lot depends on him," Prasanna told cricketnirvana.com. How much the burden of captaincy has affected Kumble's performance? Bedi would think it has done wonders. "Captaincy has done wonders to his career. His greatest strength is his discipline, dedication, attitude and approach towards his game and the sport in general. There is nobody in the last two decades who has matched Sachin Tendulkar [images] in terms of performance. That itself is a great compliment for the man," said Bedi. Prasanna said even at 38 Kumble has still got the fire to take on the best of the batsmen and he would not think that "jumbo" would consider quitting after the home Test series against Australia. "I don't think so (retirement). Watching him bowl recently, I think he has still got a lot of fire in him. He is not playing for records either. I think captaincy has motivated him even more and he is very determined to do well against Australia," said Prasanna. Bedi feels that the question of retirement should be best left to Kumble. "He (Kumble) is the man at the helm, the man in charge and knows when to carry on till. Knowing him I know for a fact that he is not prolonging his career. Even after 18 years with the team, Kumble still feels that he has a lot to offer to the country and that is why he is hanging around. My only concern is that Kumble should retire on his own terms," he said.

Kumble not ready to bow out Indian Test captain Anil Kumble has refused to put a timeframe on when he will retire from international cricket, insisting he will quit on his own terms. More... Kumble not ready to bow out 05/10/2008 3:24 PM 00027718-image.jpg Indian Test captain Anil Kumble has refused to put a timeframe on when he will retire from international cricket, insisting he will quit on his own terms. Sourav Ganguly's exclusion from the Irani Trophy squad triggered a raging debate in the media on just when India's ageing 'Golden Generation' should call it quits. Ganguly was, however, included in the Test team for the Border-Gavaskar series although reports suggesting he had struck a deal with selectors on his retirement have since surfaced. The 37-year-old Kumble backed Ganguly along with the other senior players - Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar and VVS Laxman who are all well past 30 - while emphasising that performance rather than age, should be the measure for selection. "It is difficult to look too far ahead when you have played for so long," Kumble told the Times of India. "I will take it series by series." "The body also responds differently. And it's not the same, I am definitely not the way I was five years ago in terms of the way the body is feeling." "But I still can't put a date or time on calling it quits, how my body responds will be the clue." "As long as I am happy with the performance I will carry on. That will definitely be the yardstick." "I would like to certainly take a decision my way rather than someone else asking me to." "As far as I know I am the only Indian cricketer in history to play on after retiring from one form of the game. I knew when to quit ODIs, likewise with Tests." Kumble said it was up to the individual players and the selectors to decide when a player should end his international career. "I cannot say how the issue (of phasing out seniors) should be handled," he added. "It's up to the individuals. It's a selection issue. I can only speak for myself and how I would go about it." Kumble underlined he was looking forward to the series against Australia and that he was confident in his ability both as a leading bowler and captain of the team. "In both departments I am feeling good," he continued. "As far my bowling goes, the wickets didn't come in Sri Lanka or the home series but I thought I bowled well." "Things didn't exactly happen as I would have liked them to but overall it has been good." "About being captain, the good part is that the team is shaping well even if we didn't have a very good series in Sri Lanka." "But the way we have been preparing, we are confident. Our batsmen are experienced enough to handle any tactic." "I am confident about the way we have prepared and if you look around the dressing room, you would sense that confidence."