Indian bowling for BG Trophy 2008

Feed

More... Coach advises Ishant to focus on swing Monday, Sep 22, 2008 2008092260491901.jpg AFP New Delhi: Ishant Sharma’s coach Shravan Kumar advised the lanky bowler to focus more on swing to be effective in the upcoming Test series against Australia. “Speed should not be a concern for him, he should look to swing the ball. Australians are used to playing on bouncy tracks and therefore they rely on cut and pull shots. Ishant should keep his balls short of length to get them clean bowled or trapped in front of the wicket,” he said.
New Delhi: Ishant Sharma’s coach Shravan Kumar advised the lanky bowler to focus more on swing to be effective in the upcoming Test series against Australia. “Speed should not be a concern for him, he should look to swing the ball. Australians are used to playing on bouncy tracks and therefore they rely on cut and pull shots. Ishant should keep his balls short of length to get them clean bowled or trapped in front of the wicket,” he
Hain? It doesnt take a genius to give that sort of 'advice'. Even I can come up with better suggestions. Maybe I should also become bowling coach or something....

the bloke took 5 wickets in the same bangalore pitch last year, purely because of his pace and nothing else.. . I hope he doesn't become the likes of Irfan, Munaf, who came in with a big bang pace and slowly declined. We need atleast one super fast bowler who can hit the deck. forget the wides and no balls, forget getting hit... as long as the bowler put in some fear in the batsman's mind, half the battle is won.

More... Coach advises Ishant to focus on swing Monday, Sep 22, 2008 2008092260491901.jpg AFP New Delhi: Ishant Sharma’s coach Shravan Kumar advised the lanky bowler to focus more on swing to be effective in the upcoming Test series against Australia. “Speed should not be a concern for him, he should look to swing the ball. Australians are used to playing on bouncy tracks and therefore they rely on cut and pull shots. Ishant should keep his balls short of length to get them clean bowled or trapped in front of the wicket,” he said.
is this coach outta his mind? how possibly can ishant get them clean bowled or lbw by bowling short of length?with ishant's height, ball wud go over the stumps, or is that coach counting on low bounce of indian pitches?

People really are clueless whenever speed is mentioned. He is not suggesting that Ishant bowls 120kph; he is actually suggesting that Ishant gives the ball some time in the air to swing, like Sreesanth does. It is a good point, Ishant came from Australia with poor returns. Who were the stars? RP Singh and Irfan Pathan - the swing bowlers. Ishant Sharma's most dangerous ball is the away swinger pitched short of a length, it is the ball that troubled Ponting so often. Something which was likely not taken into consideration by Kumar, but still interesting is that Sharma is a rhythm bowler and perhaps taking his mind off pace will help him; we see that when he loses rhythm, he falls over in his follow through or bowls no balls and occasionally bowls very short. People say 'pace and bounce' is Ishant's talent, but 'bounce' isn't a delivery, this isn't a video game. Ishant will always bounce the ball and short of a length is likely his ideal length. We've seen that Ishant's short balls are often inoccuous when it flies over the keepers head. Moreover, you can never have enough people who swing the ball. An attack of Imran, Hadlee, Botham and Caddick, for example, will not fail due to lack of variety. Lack of variety becomes an issue when bowlers are equally unpenetrative but swing is no such unpenetrative skill. If all of the bowlers bowled a strict line and length at 120kph and Ishant was being advised to do this, then there could be an issue, but not now.

People really are clueless whenever speed is mentioned. He is not suggesting that Ishant bowls 120kph; he is actually suggesting that Ishant gives the ball some time in the air to swing' date=' like Sreesanth does. It is a good point, Ishant came from Australia with poor returns. Who were the stars? RP Singh and Irfan Pathan - the swing bowlers. Ishant Sharma's most dangerous ball is the away swinger pitched short of a length, it is the ball that troubled Ponting so often. Something which was likely not taken into consideration by Kumar, but still interesting is that Sharma is a rhythm bowler and perhaps taking his mind off pace will help him; we see that when he loses rhythm, he falls over in his follow through or bowls no balls and occasionally bowls very short. People say 'pace and bounce' is Ishant's talent, but 'bounce' isn't a delivery, this isn't a video game. Ishant will always bounce the ball and short of a length is likely his ideal length. We've seen that Ishant's short balls are often inoccuous when it flies over the keepers head. Moreover, you can never have enough people who swing the ball. An attack of Imran, Hadlee, Botham and Caddick, for example, will not fail due to lack of variety. Lack of variety becomes an issue when bowlers are equally unpenetrative but swing is no such unpenetrative skill. If all of the bowlers bowled a strict line and length at 120kph and Ishant was being advised to do this, then there could be an issue, but not now.
msb is shravan? just kidding :) in aus tour, Ishant made ponting look like a fool coz of pace n bounce

An eventful journey for Zaheer Khan He has taken up the mantle of leading India?s pace attack More... An eventful journey for Zaheer Khan Tuesday, Sep 23, 2008 Vijay Lokapally He has taken up the mantle of leading India’s pace attack 2008092353141801.jpgGROWING IN STATURE: Zaheer Khan has improved over the years and is one of the leading pacemen in world cricket. NEW DELHI: He started late but was quick to learn the nuances without ever ignoring the basics. Zaheer Khan, promoted in his early stages by Javagal Srinath, has come a long way from the time he left Shrirampur in Maharashtra, to pursue his love for cricket. Arriving in Mumbai on the strength of his father’s unstinted support, Zaheer found an understanding coach in Sudhir Naik. Some hard work and then life changed for this left-arm medium-fast bowler. Eight years down the line, he smiles as he reflects on his career — 178 wickets from 56 Tests and 210 wickets from 149 ODIs. “It is very different now. I was excited about playing for Mumbai and then for India. The first year was exciting and confusing both. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to be an engineer or a cricketer. “The initial response was not encouraging but towards the end of the season I found a place in the Mumbai squad. From my team in Shrirampur to a spot in the Mumbai team,” remembered Zaheer. The next two years were tough but he knew where his future lay. MRF Pace Foundation coach T.A. Sekar, Srinath, Naik, they all played their roles in shaping Zaheer’s career. In Sourav Ganguly, he found a man willing to push his case. Dreams turned into reality and Zaheer emerged the spearhead of the Indian attack. Biggest challenge “The biggest challenge was in understanding the game,” said Zaheer on a recent visit to Delhi. “I had no cricketing background. I learnt the dressing room ethics, on field ethics and I was happy I was in Mumbai where all the time and everywhere people talk cricket. I learnt quickly and I learnt a lot.” Zaheer shared the dressing room with some of the legends, observed them from close, and imbibed their qualities. “I learnt how to prepare for the game and how much to train. Playing with Srinath was an experience. He taught me how to work on action, how to overcome the no-ball problem, how to preserve for important spells, how to read the batsmen.” All those lessons have come in handy as his career developed. He has lasted the journey that started with Srinath and Venkatesh Prasad, down to bowling in the company of S. Sreesanth or Munaf Patel. He has held his place even though critics have pointed out the inconsistency factor in his bowling. Getting better With time Zaheer accepted his role of a senior and led the way. He worked on his trade and skills, the slower one, the yorker, the away swinger, and the one that jagged in. He was enjoying it. He troubled most of the batsmen on the recent Sri Lankan tour., ending up with eight wickets in three Tests and nine in five ODIs. He was the Man-of-the-Match in the second one-dayer at Dambulla. The support staff was a big help, said Zaheer. “Having a bowling coach was the best thing we could have asked for. Analysis is important and needs to be done regularly. There are times you tend to miss a thing or two and it goes unnoticed if there is no coach around. It is always better if someone monitors your game and advises at regular stages. They can be minor adjustments but significant in terms of improvement. It is a learning process.” For a fast bowler — as for a batsman, a spinner and a wicketkeeper — experience is an aspect that enables him to be a complete practitioner in his field. “You can’t improve overnight, no one can. Today, with experience, I am aware of my body, my strengths. I understand myself better. I know when to push myself, the difference between on-season and off-season training. I also conserve myself at the nets now. Fast bowling is not just about being aggressive, giving the batsmen the stare. It is an art and one needs to sharpen one’s skills. There is accurate video analysis available of all players and that makes your job exciting as well as challenging.” Competition is good Zaheer, 29, welcomes the competition that comes from youngsters in the shape of Ishant Sharma and R.P. Singh. “Healthy competition is always good. It brings out the best out of everyone. See how Ishant came up in Australia. It is good for him, good for the team. Also I think it is important to have back-up. I have learnt to put my hand up when the team needs.” Zaheer will need to remember that when he bowls his first ball in the forthcoming series against Australia.

even during the test series in Australia earlier this year when he had to comeback to India because of Injury, he did bowl very well in first test. i hope you all remember the first session of the first test of the bordger gavaskar testr series of 2008 in Janurary. we didn't get any wicket, but the way RP SINGH AND ZAHEER KHAN BOWl in tandom, they series started to live up to the hype rite at that moment only. Hayden and Jaques were troubled a lot by the swing of zaheer and RP.