Katich won "bat-off": Nielsen

fineleg

Not including Katich in the eleven for the first test could be the watershed moment of this series. Somehow, the Aussies seem to be hoping Watson can replicate his IPL success in tests too and for that, they will probably drop their best player in Indian conditions, so that he can be included. Oh, its hard to miss the sense of deja-vu! Who cares though, as long as we win, none of us need to raise even a finger in protest at botched Aussie selection.
Exclusion of Katich from the first test would be the biggest mistake by the aussie think-tank..i just cant fathom how they think Watson is more important than Simon..the series cud well be decided before the first ball is bowled if this is the way the aussies are gonna go abt it..
Absolutely. If they do that, it will be a very foolish decision, and big gift for the Indian team.

Most of us could. Noffke left out of the touring party, NSW's fourth wheel spinner picked for the tour with the selectors forgetting he only plays for Tasmania as he was below NATHAN F'N HORRORWITZ in the NSW pecking order, and now the best player of spin in Aus expected to sit out of the XI.

Presuming Phil Jaques overcomes a niggling back injury and Matthew Hayden's rehabilitated Achilles continues to bear up, Katich could again be consigned to the role of reserve batsman despite top-scoring with 73 in the tour match against Rajasthan at the weekend. .
Chandan, Did you merge these two threads? The last update in above post has your name. But perhaps thats just an update and most likely you did not merge the threads and someone else did? Could you clarify?

Same old rubbish, I see. (of course, I'll excuse Salil as he's a rabid Blues fan :regular_smile:)

did some moron here predict he will score 100s?? he wont even make the squad
Aussie squad - announced 3 weeks ago: Matthew Hayden, Phil Jaques, Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Hussey, Michael Clarke, Simon Katich, Shane Watson, Brad Haddin (wk), Brett Lee, Jason Krejza, Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle, Bryce McGain, Stuart Clark, Doug Bollinger. Kat was a bit lucky to make the Windies squad ahead of a younger player or Dave Hussey but earned it after a great domestic season. Considered himself fortunate to get a run when Hayden got injured. Although he scored 2 tons, he was, nonetheless, filling in. He's hardly being axed when he's simply stepping back into his role as spare batsman, now Hayden is available. Watson at #6 irks quite a few cricket followers - especially non Queensland fans - but it was he who Symmo replaced in the Test team when Watson did his hammy (again), so it's not such an eye popping selection. Of course, I'd rather see Dave Hussey at #6. Better bat than Kat, Symmo and Watson and bowls offies every bit as good as Symmo. And to my mate, Salil. When did Katich become Australia's best player of spin ?? In the first match of this tour ? Hayden, Clarke and Mike Huss come to mind ahead of Kat. I mean, it's not as if the Windies had a spinner and those 3 I mentioned have actually been IN the Test team.
And to my mate' date=' Salil. When did Katich become Australia's best player of spin ?? In the first match of this tour ? Hayden, Clarke and Mike Huss come to mind ahead of Kat. I mean, it's not as if the Windies had a spinner and those 3 I mentioned have actually been IN the Test team.[/quote'] Completely subjective mate, although I did put my foot in it putting him ahead of Hayden. Katich for me though is a superior player of spin to Clarke or Hussey. His defensive technique on really rough tracks is better than Clarke's IMO. When it's really gripping and turning, he plays the ball later than almost anyone and with incredibly soft hands. While he may not be as dominant as Clarke is, he's definitely far more solid in difficult conditions. Hussey is a phenomenal player, but I get the feeling that at times - particularly early in his innings - he does tend to go forward hard at the ball a bit, which does make him a bit more vulnerable than the Kat. Add to that the fact that Katich has played some absolutely phenomenal innings against the turning ball in rough situations (Sydney 04 comes to mind first, then his series of crucial knocks at #3 that covered Ponting's absence so well last tour, and he hasn't been too shabby either against Murali) and you can see why I'd personally put him ahead of Clarke/Huss. Putting him ahead of Hayden would be a bit foolish though, as Hayden at his best has Kat's patience and soft handed touch in difficult moments, and a level of belligerence and dominance against spin that eludes most players.
Kat was a bit lucky to make the Windies squad ahead of a younger player or Dave Hussey but earned it after a great domestic season. Considered himself fortunate to get a run when Hayden got injured.
Fortunate to get into the XI, yes. Bit lucky to make the WI squad - absolutely not. He had a phenomenal season for the Blues and deserved that spot. I'd have split hairs between him and Hussey.
Of course, I'd rather see Dave Hussey at #6. Better bat than Kat, Symmo and Watson and bowls offies every bit as good as Symmo.
I'd have picked Huss over Katich for a series in Australia or most other countries. Here I'd take a more horses-for-courses approach. Katich's record against India, and in India against Kumble and Harbhajan is outstanding. Last time Aus toured, he was a crucial factor in that series win. For that edge of experience and the record of solidity/reliability v. India, I think he should be above DJH in the pecking order here. (Crying shame though that Huss jr isn't even in the touring party) PS: Oh, forgot. TROLL! :P (let's see if that makes my argument hold up any better against your's)

Katich won "bat-off": Nielsen AUSTRALIAN coach Tim Nielsen has revealed that Simon Katich pushed ahead of Phil Jaques in the openers' pecking order by making consecutive centuries against the West Indies. More... Katich won "bat-off": Nielsen October 02, 2008 AUSTRALIAN coach Tim Nielsen has revealed that Simon Katich pushed ahead of Phil Jaques in the openers' pecking order by making consecutive centuries against the West Indies. At the time, Katich thought he was merely a stand-in while Matthew Hayden recovered from an Achilles problem. But Nielsen said he and Jaques had effectively been pitted in a “bat-off” to decide who would partner Hayden here in India. Katich was chosen ahead of Jaques for Thursday’s tour match against an Indian Board President's XI in Hyderabad, sealing his place in the team for the first Test in Bangalore next week. “Mainly the selectors thought that Katto and Jaquesy pretty much had a bat-off in the West Indies,” Nielsen said. “We didn't picture it that way at the time, but they thought Katto was playing extremely well. “He made hundreds in Antigua and Barbados, the last couple of Tests of the series, he's come off a stellar summer in Australia and is in such good form that they just thought he may have edged himself in front of Jaquesy as the second choice opening batsman behind Matthew. “It's a nice position to be in when you've got three quality opening batsmen, unfortunately three doesn't go into two, so the choice they made was to go with Simon this time.” Nielsen said 33-year-old Katich's left-arm wrist spin and marginally better fielding had also helped him to ease in front of his NSW teammate Jaques. “It's just the whole package,” Nielsen said. “Katto can bowl spinners if we need him to. He didn't bowl today. “He's a good fielder and player. I'm not saying Jaquesy doesn't do those things, but just at the moment the feeling is that Simon is maybe playing a bit better.” Katich's Indian experience - he deputised successfully at No.3 for the injured Ricky Ponting on Australia's victorious 2004 tour in India - is also thought to be a factor in his inclusion.