Katich won "bat-off": Nielsen

fineleg

Krapich will score 2 tons in this series which both will go in vain
vain or not is something we have to wait and see. claiming that it will go in vain now may just backfire on u. But katich and pup (yes, the same m.clarke pup) can both play outstanding innings in India. Damien Martyn was the best. But katich can measure up.

Red-hot LEGEND Katich faces axe Presuming Phil Jaques overcomes a niggling back injury and Matthew Hayden's rehabilitated Achilles continues to bear up, Katich could again be consigned to the role of reserve batsman despite top-scoring with 73 in the tour match against Rajasthan at the weekend. More... Red-hot Katich faces axe Chloe Saltau, Jaipur September 29, 2008 mbs_katich_narrowweb__300x403,0.jpgSimon Katich on his way to a 73 against the Rajasthan Cricket Association Academy in Jaipur on Saturday. SIMON Katich is doing everything in his power to avoid becoming the first Australian batsman in more than a century to be dropped after scoring back-to-back Test centuries. Presuming Phil Jaques overcomes a niggling back injury and Matthew Hayden's rehabilitated Achilles continues to bear up, Katich could again be consigned to the role of reserve batsman despite top-scoring with 73 in the tour match against Rajasthan at the weekend. Should Katich, who scored 113 and 157 in his most recent outings in the West Indies, be the man to make way for Hayden, it is thought he will be the first Australian since Percy McDonnell in 1884 to be axed after posting hundreds in consecutive Tests. Working in Katich's favour is that he is one of only four players in the squad with Test experience in India, but if the more entrenched Jaques is fit, he would be difficult to dislodge, having also scored a hundred in his most recent Test. Despite Katich fighting his way back from Test oblivion with a record-breaking season for NSW, seizing his moment as Hayden's replacement in the Caribbean, he is far from assured of a spot in the starting XI for the opening Test in Bangalore. Jaques is recovering from a back strain but batted yesterday and is expected to play in next week's four-day match against a BCCI President's XI in Hyderabad. Shane Watson has been all-but inked into the No. 6 position vacated by Andrew Symonds, largely because of the flexibility he adds with his bowling, which makes the middle order just as difficult to break into. "I treated what happened in the West Indies as a bonus. I wasn't supposed to play. I was there as an extra batsman and got an opportunity because of his (Hayden's) injury," said Katich, one of only four survivors of Australia's 2004 series victory in India. "It's a similar scenario with him back fit, I'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'm pretty sure he will be fit and go straight back in the team. I'm just preparing so I can try and make sure I'm ready because it's a long tour and anything can happen in India." It is a familiar situation for Katich, who brooded after being dropped for Symonds in Sri Lanka in 2004 (one Test removed from an SCG century against India) and was cut adrift by the selectors after the 2005 Ashes. When he returned to international colours, he did so with a rebuilt technique and a more philosophical outlook. "I'm a lot more relaxed. I just try to enjoy what time I have got left in the game rather than getting too tense about it, and take the good with the bad," Katich said. "I have worked hard and with that extra preparation, you go in a bit more confident." Still, with Katich in the best form of his international career, Jaques can hardly afford an off-day, having produced scores of nine, four, 17, 76 and 31 before his Barbados ton. The team for the first Test, which starts in Bangalore on October 9, will be finalised after the Hyderabad tour game.

Not including Katich in the eleven for the first test could be the watershed moment of this series. Australia have to kidding if they think that in Indian conditions, Watson is more value for a place in the eleven, than Katich. In many ways, this is synonomous with what India did with Yuvraj, the previous series. We didnt include Sehwag in the first test, and made two of the most sedate batsman in Indian history to open together to accommodate Yuvraj, banking on his ODI exploits. He failed miserably. Somehow, the Aussies seem to be hoping Watson can replicate his IPL success in tests too and for that, they will probably drop their best player in Indian conditions, so that he can be included. Oh, its hard to miss the sense of deja-vu! Who cares though, as long as we win, none of us need to raise even a finger in protest at botched Aussie selection.