Geoff Lawson sacked as Pak coach

SachDan

Geoff Lawson has been removed as coach of Pakistan with immediate effect. He will be given three months advance salary. Laswon had a meeting with the PCB chairman, Ijaz Butt, earlier this afternoon, at which it was decided that a decision would be given to him tomorrow A PCB spokesperson told Cricinfo, "Geoff Lawson has been removed as coach of Pakistan. As per his clause he has been given three months salary." On October 12, Lawson said he had no plans of stepping down from his post before his two-year term finishes next year. More to follow ... © Cricinfo

Lawson would have been good for Pakistani cricket...their loss. You should have seen the way he was lobbying to get Australia to tour there...he certainly puts his whole heart into his endeavours. Yea...I wonder who they will get now...maybe Inzi or Saeed Anwar can take up coaching the side...now that would be a sight eh? More prayers than players.

Every retired cricketer who has associated himself with Pakistani cricket, whether he Pakistani or not, has left with a bad taste in his mouth. Poor Lawson, all along, he's been vigorously defending Pakistan and Pakistani cricket, atleast outwardly in the media. He even criticized his home country Australia for not touring Pak . And now, after all that, he is sacked unceremoniously, just days after it was announced that he will stay atleast until April of next year. But I have a sneaking suspicion that personally, he doesnt give a sh!t. He came here for the money, he got what he wanted and now, he's probably more than happy they're letting him go early. After all, his bank balance looks much more secure than it did 15 months ago. Just goes on to show what a remarkable job John Wright did as a coach of an Asian cricket team. Not a single controversy in his really long tenure.

I feel sorry for Lawson ... when he took over as Pakistan coach ... he would have been thinking ... Ok lets look at these players ... Shoaib Akhtar, Mohammad Asif, Umar Gul, Mohammad Yousuf, Younis Khan, Abdul Razzaq, Inzamam Ul-Haq, Shahid Afridi, Imran Nazir He would have thought ... yea I can transform this bunch into a winning unit. Now look at whats happened. Its pretty much all over for Shoaib and Asif ... Inzy is retired and in ICL ... Nazir, Razzaq and Yousuf are off in ICL. Afridi doesnt have his head in the right place. Younis Khan is here in Australia playing for the Redbacks. All he has left is Umar Gul and now Misbah Ul-Haq. If he didnt get sacked, he probably would have quit anyway. The team is falling apart.

Why was he appointed in the first place and what did they get out of him? Questions really need to be asked by the Pakistan cricket fans as they are the ones that are contributing to the PCB funds. If Pakistan is unable to get the best out of any coach since they started to appoint full time coach then there must be something wrong either with the players or the setup in which the coaches work. Even Bangladesh have made decent use of Dav Whatmore then I can't quite gather why Pakistan is unable to get anything much out of their coaches. Perhaps their players don't need a coach. There are far too many unanswered questions here.