Sach hits back on Gilly

SachDan

Gilchrist made loose statements: Tendulkar NEW DELHI: Sachin Tendulkar on Monday ticked off Adam Gilchrist for questioning his sportsman spirit and honesty, saying a person who does not know him well enough made such "loose statements" which left him shocked. "I was surprised. I didn't know how to react. (What he alleged) is something that I can't even think of in my wildest dreams. I love the game so much and those remarks came from someone who doesn't know me enough. I think he made loose statements," he said reacting to Gilchrist's comments in his upcoming autobiography that the Indian was hard to find for a handshake after India lost the Sydney Test. Tendulkar said Gilchrist did call up to clear the air and he did not mince words in telling the former Aussie stumper that he had forgotten the spirit in which the Indians took the Sydney defeat. "I am the kind of person who would leave things behind. So many times he mentioned that you and Harbhajan (Singh) are not traceable to shake hands. I reminded him that I was the first person to shake hands after the Sydney defeat. It was a tough game that we lost and it was difficult for us. "But we all in the team would shake hands. We have that sportsman spirit. We won't shy away from challenges," he said to a TV channel. Gilchrist had also taken a swipe at Tendulkar's honesty during the Harbhajan Singh race row trial, accusing him of giving different versions to the match referee and the ICC adjudicator but the Indian star said it was a closed chapter for him. "That's his opinion but as far as I am concerned the chapter is closed," he said http://cricket.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/3647027.cms

Does he have a publicity team? those words are quite mature for just a man who is not known for his realpolitik but his cricket...
He probably does ... but many people have publicity teams or media managers and that doesnt stop them coming out and saying stupid stuff. This was an incident that could have easily turned sour and full credit to Tendulkar for nipping it in the bud before it became a big deal. He handled it with dignity and maturity, and unlike Harbhajan Singh didnt feel the need to verbally attack Gilchrist in retaliation.

I think Tendulkar should leave this one alone, who cares what Gilly thinks about him. Not everyone can be pleased and you don't need everyone to be your friends. Freddi also wrote in this auto biography some shoddy comments about Ganguly but that didn't make Ganguly lose any sleep over it. Ganguly has been lauded for making foes on the cricket field rather than friends. For every Gilly there's a Shane Warne or a Wasim Akram that have highest regard for Tendulkar. He shouldn't even bother about Gilly and his statements.

I totally agree with Sachin , he is one cricketer in this world whose reputation is spotless.He has been a role model and has always remained humble.In almost two decades on top there is not one incident which puts sachin in bad light. I had lot of respect of Gilly but this is cheap trick to sell his book, good for you Sachin, I also think timing of those reports are manipulated to have negative affect on Indian team after mohali's drubbing.

I think Tendulkar should leave this one alone' date=' who cares what Gilly thinks about him. Not everyone can be pleased and you don't need everyone to be your friends. [b']Freddi also wrote in this auto biography some shoddy comments about Ganguly but that didn't make Ganguly lose any sleep over it. Ganguly has been lauded for making foes on the cricket field rather than friends. For every Gilly there's a Shane Warne or a Wasim Akram that have highest regard for Tendulkar. He shouldn't even bother about Gilly and his statements.
something to do with 2002 natwest series i presume?
I totally agree with Sachin , he is one cricketer in this world whose reputation is spotless.He has been a role model and has always remained humble.In almost two decades on top there is not one incident which puts sachin in bad light. I had lot of respect of Gilly but this is cheap trick to sell his book, good for you Sachin, I also think timing of those reports are manipulated to have negative affect on Indian team after mohali's drubbing.
i thought he did have that one ball tampering blemish and his hostility to the policies of the azhar captaincy...
i thought he did have that one ball tampering blemish and his hostility to the policies of the azhar captaincy...
Yes it was a blemish but he was found not guilty as all he was doing was removing grass from the ball as the video footage showed. As for Azhar's captaincy ... Given the way Azhar's career finished ... I think the less said about his captaincy the better.
I think Tendulkar should leave this one alone' date=' who cares what Gilly thinks about him. Not everyone can be pleased and you don't need everyone to be your friends. Freddi also wrote in this auto biography some shoddy comments about Ganguly but that didn't make Ganguly lose any sleep over it. Ganguly has been lauded for making foes on the cricket field rather than friends. For every Gilly there's a Shane Warne or a Wasim Akram that have highest regard for Tendulkar. He shouldn't even bother about Gilly and his statements.[/quote'] Sometimes silence is misinterpreted as confession. When the allegations are bad, one needs to speak out against it....mildly, but clearly. Gilchrist is widely considered as the best ever in what he does and also considered a gentleman by many. If Gilchrist makes an allegation and Sachin keeps quiet, it wouldn't reflect very well. It it was only a bad comment, he could have kept quiet. But it is an allegation coming from no small Marsala journalist, but a reputed cricketer. It needed some attention from Tendulkar and he handled it very well.
something to do with 2002 natwest series i presume?
it has more to do with days they spend together at Lancashire. Excerpts from his autobiography ' Being Freddie'.. ``He wasn't interested in the other players and it became a situation where it was 10 players and Ganguly in the team. He turned up as if he was royalty — it was like having Prince Charles on your side,'' Flintoff observed. ``There were rumours he was asking people to carry his coffin for him, although he never asked me,'' he said. ``Ganguly just didn't work out at all. You can accept a player not playing well, because we all have our ups and downs in our career, but he just didn't want to get involved.'' Recalling an incident, Flintoff said, ``He turned up for his first net session with Lancashire, when you would have thought he would have wanted to make a good impression, and got hit on the back of the knee by Mike Smethurst.'' ``Those sort of blows do hurt, but you normally rub it a bit and make sure you grin because everybody else is laughing. Ganguly didn't see it that way and got the hump and we didn't see him again for two days.''
Bingo you made my point in two decades you came up one incident' date=' for which he was never charged, I dont know about his deal with Azar's captaincy.[/quote'] He was charged and initially given a one match suspension but was later found not guilty. Thats the only blemish on his career.