What do you think of the behaviour of our younger guys?

bharat297

Allan Border used to say that sledging was a way you could perk yourself up when you were down. The idea was that by engaging in a more direct one on one contest with the opponent, you can get your competitive juices going and concentrate harder, and therefore perform better. Considering how often the Aussies have been down in this 4 match test series, their sledging doesn't surprise me. You know you have got the Aussies rattled when they start behaving like that...

you guys are missing the point.... Its not that gambhir or bhajji are trying to act like ozzies and try to be agressive.. they are aggressive by nature.. they are not pretending.. (now sreesanth is differnt.. he is an actor)... even zak is aggressive by nature.. point is India is changing and culture is changing.. more cut throat competition and in-you-face attitude in youngsters .. soo naturally it will show in cricket too.. have you guys seen Prabhakar in agressive mood? he was exception in past generation.. so exception in past becoming norm in present and vice versa...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Brett Lee always gives a stare down to the batters. Now, Zaheer does the same, he doesn't abuse, he just gives dirty looks, and no no no no, Zaheer is a bad boy.
Stare downs are fine. But things like going out of your way to give a batsman a send off (especially when someone else got him out) seems like a very low , class-less act to do.
Gambhir goes about his business batting beautifully. And the Aussies just can't take it. They try to sledge him and abuse him (Katich), and he digs in even more and gets a double-hundred. After all that abuse by the whole team, and no helping voice at the other end (like Dhoni), he lets his temper fly. But, no no no no no, be robotic young man, you are not a good "role-model" otherwise.
There are ways to handle abuse without having to abuse back. Its not about being a "role-model". Thats part of it, but also mainly that above all you are a sportsman. There is such a thing as sportsmanship. Gambhir was no doubt pushed to his limits by the Aussie team. The way he handled the initial abuse thrown at him was fine (he just smiled, laughed it off, and continued batting) however when you start elbowing an opponent or swearing right in the face of your opponent, it doesnt reflect well on someones character. As a result, Gambhir has now revealed a weakness (his temper). Do you think that because of the way Gambhir reacted the Aussies will stop? No! If anything, they will try to get him more angry because they know he reacts by losing his own temper. Look at the way Tendulkar handled himself after Michael Clarke tackled him in Brisbane. He just got up and got on with his game. As a result, Clarke looked like the idiot. Now if Tendulkar had retaliated by walking up to Clarke, swearing at him, calling him a "F***ing cheat", and giving him a little nudge, it would have made Tendulkar look worse.
If you notice, we have never started the sledging. It's always been a retort
Firstly, thats not true. Look at Sreesanth ... you cant tell me what he does is reactionary. Secondly, that doesnt vindicate it. If the Aussies swear at you and threaten you, you dont need to respond by doing the same thing. At the end of the day, cricket wins you cricket matches. Look at the way Dhoni handles things. I am sure the Aussies would be sledging him and trying to get under his skin. He doesnt respond and simply gets on with his game. As a result, he has provided us with many steely and determined knocks (mainly in ODI cricket).

All Sreesanth does is antics and stare-downs. Has he ever verbally abused? He has just celebrated after getting the wicket. Some people may not like the way he celebrates. That doesn't make any difference as long as he is performing. Now he is nowhere near the national team and I feel sorry for him. Did you check out the Ind-Aus T20 Semifinal. You see how fired up he was and how brilliantly he bowled? I'm ok with their attitude if they keep winning matches. And check out Dhoni's reaction here after Symonds abuses Ishant which makes Ishant retaliate. He basically asks the umpires to go take a hike. EXtylqMbdhA And veer makes an excellent point.

I dont know what Dhoni was saying there ... How do you know what he was saying to the umpire? But either way in general he doesnt seem to try to get into heated confrontations or engage in a long verbal battle. As for Sreesanth, do you remember him purposely shoulder barging Michael Vaughan in England last year? What was the need for that? As for the celebrations, thats fine ... but I think I was not alone in my embarrassment when he stared down Symonds after getting his wicket on 89 in the final few overs of the Aussie innings in an ODI last year when they scored 300+. In general, I dont see the need to stare down a batsman angrily after you have got him out. You have the batsman out ... you won the battle! Celebrate it with your teammates rather than stare angrily at the batsman. Its one thing to do that when the batsman is in (I understand, you are trying to break their concentration and make them play a rash shot) but once they are out ... whats the point?

I think then I'm the only one who has no problem with Sreesanth's celebration after getting Symonds out. He got him out, he's celebrating. So, to some people he looks stupid. But, he is being himself. And if you see there, Sree did not open his mouth, he was just clenching his fists and goggling at Symonds. And then Symnods starts abusing him, instead of walking back to the pavilion. Charming! And as for the Vaughan incident, I'm not aware of that. I'll have to check that vid before responding. What I meant about Dhoni is, sure he is calm, but he sledges a lot more intelligently. The main thing with sledging is don't lose your own demeanor! That is self-pwnage lol. But, when the umpires tried to talk to Dhoni abt Ishant's behaviour, he rightly BRUSHED them off. It was Symonds who started it, and there is no need to take the blame. All in all, this is definitely a new generation you are seeing here. A generation not hung-over from their parent's post-colonial upbringing. No more taking it on the other cheek, man. If that construes "ungentlemanly" behaviour, so be it.

I think then I'm the only one who has no problem with Sreesanth's celebration after getting Symonds out. He got him out, he's celebrating. So, to some people he looks stupid. But, he is being himself. And if you see there, Sree did not open his mouth, he was just clenching his fists and goggling at Symonds. And then Symnods starts abusing him, instead of walking back to the pavilion. Charming!
Symonds has never been a gentleman. However, that doesnt mean the Indians need to do the same.
And as for the Vaughan incident, I'm not aware of that. I'll have to check that vid before responding.
It should be on YouTube.
What I meant about Dhoni is, sure he is calm, but he sledges a lot more intelligently. The main thing with sledging is don't lose your own demeanor! That is self-pwnage lol.
Thats my point. Ganguly was the same. We can sledge and still be gentlemen about it. Thats where one needs to be intelligent. I have no problems with sledging but its the ungentlemanly manner of screaming and shouting and send offs and angry stare downs after you have already dismissed the batsman that make us look more like thugs than cricketers.
All in all, this is definitely a new generation you are seeing here. A generation not hung-over from their parent's post-colonial upbringing. No more taking it on the other cheek, man. If that construes "ungentlemanly" behaviour, so be it.
Look at Sehwag, he doesnt back down from the Aussies but he does it through his bat ... you dont see him going up to an opposition player standing in their face and staring them down and swearing in their face. This isnt boxing. Quick bursts of anger wont get you anywhere in this game. You need to use your brain to win a game of cricket.