Revisiting the underarm incident

DomainK

I was just revisiting the underarm incident after I found a video looking for vids for my new thread in vid section. Its quite extraordinary that the new Zealand batsman McKechnie, who experienced the cowardice act first hand was actually censured for bringing the game of cricket into disrepute because he threw his bat into the ground on his was back to the dressing room. How shameless can ICC get really? I think he behaved very well. He showed composure by not beating up the Chapell brothers. Really disgusting.

What else can be expected from ICC? They will nly punish those who react' date=' not the ones who provoke[/quote'] Thats a very very good point!!! The ICC have a history of punishing only those that react to the abuse. I think its high time the umpires were given more power. If an umpire sees excessive sledging to the point where he feels that the opponent may react by saying or doing something he might regret ... he should step in and have a word with the opposition captain. Given the way the Aussies targetted Gambhir throughout Day 1 of the Third Test ... I think the umpires should have had a chat to Ponting just telling him to keep his boys in check. The solution to me is to give the umpires more power.
Domaink' date=' maybe you and McKechnie should both look up the rules at the time.[/quote'] No need for that. Know the rules. I know where you are heading- I am not interested. Shamelessness within rules remains shamelessness. A coward hiding behind rules is still a coward. McKechnie's reaction was very moderate compared to the cowardice.
What else can be expected from ICC? They will nly punish those who react' date=' not the ones who provoke[/quote'] Moronic post of the day(and thats saying something considering the number of such posts I see these days). Were you even born back then, much less see/read about the incident?
Its quite extraordinary that the new Zealand batsman McKechnie, who experienced the cowardice act first hand was actually censured for bringing the game of cricket into disrepute because he threw his bat into the ground on his was back to the dressing room. How shameless can ICC get really? I think he behaved very well. He showed composure by not beating up the Chapell brothers.
What has this got to do with ICC?? I am sure you realize it was Greg, and only Greg Chappell, who was responsible for the incident. What did you want ICC to do? To stop Trevor Chappell mid way as he approached the bowling mark?? Did you expect the head honchos of ICC. MCC etc to take the first flight and confront Greg Chappell? You may not agree to Greg's method, noone does, but in the end it boils down to playing within the laws, and that he did. Nothing much ICC could do, except change the bowling laws immediately...which they did right after the game. By the way I would encourage you to find more videos and articles and see for yourself that Greg Chappell did NOT find one single sympathetic soul. Folks who always stood by him, someone like Rod Marsh who was the keeper was picked by the stump mike saying - Mate dont do it.Doug Walters, known for his sardonic humour, on the way back to the pavillion told Greg - Skip, now I know why they say it aint over till the last ball is thrown. Richie Benaud who was commenting live came down heavily on Aussie skipper calling it the most disgraceful act. Ian Chappell came down heavily on his brother. So yes I would encourage you to read more about the incident. And I would be very intersted if you could find even a solitary person who supports Greg Chappell, including the man himself who accepted later on that what he did was wrong. xxx
Domaink' date=' maybe you and McKechnie should both look up the rules at the time.[/quote'] Nonsense, this is nothing but blind partisan defense. If you want to be taken seriously as an objective cricket fan, stop making such baseless points. The only reason why there wasn’t any rule reg. bowling underarm was because the rulemakers couldn’t possibly envisage a team stooping to such low levels of sportsmanship just to win a cricket match. What Australia did that day was cowardly, unethical and unsportsmanlike, which is exactly why, almost immediately after the incident, the rules were altered to prevent a recurrence.
What will people say about Kapil's run out wihtout even bowling the ball. Was similar' date=' wasnt it?[/quote'] Gambo is right. Kapil had warned Kirsten a couple of times. The slight, if only, argument against Kapil was that he warned Kirsten in previous games and not the one where he eventually ran him out. Still it is fair to say - Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me - and Kirten had apparently tried to fool Kapil a 3rd time so no its not the same.
Moronic post of the day(and thats saying something considering the number of such posts I see these days). Were you even born back then, much less see/read about the incident? What has this got to do with ICC?? I am sure you realize it was Greg, and only Greg Chappell, who was responsible for the incident. What did you want ICC to do? To stop Trevor Chappell mid way as he approached the bowling mark?? Did you expect the head honchos of ICC. MCC etc to take the first flight and confront Greg Chappell? You may not agree to Greg's method, noone does, but in the end it boils down to playing within the laws, and that he did. Nothing much ICC could do, except change the bowling laws immediately...which they did right after the game. By the way I would encourage you to find more videos and articles and see for yourself that Greg Chappell did NOT find one single sympathetic soul. Folks who always stood by him, someone like Rod Marsh who was the keeper was picked by the stump mike saying - Mate dont do it.Doug Walters, known for his sardonic humour, on the way back to the pavillion told Greg - Skip, now I know why they say it aint over till the last ball is thrown. Richie Benaud who was commenting live came down heavily on Aussie skipper calling it the most disgraceful act. Ian Chappell came down heavily on his brother. So yes I would encourage you to read more about the incident. And I would be very intersted if you could find even a solitary person who supports Greg Chappell, including the man himself who accepted later on that what he did was wrong. xxx
Lurker, mate, please read my post again. I dont think you understood my post at all....because your reply is totally irrelevant to what I posted.