Yob Ponting now attacks Gavaskar

Guest HariSampath

Ok...even if he has indeed walked on 2 occasions , fine. But there are two sides here. 1. Standing and waiting for the umpire to give you out if there is some element of genuine doubt, is fine As a rule, Sachin had been in this category for most parts, except for the odd 2-3 instances ( but here maybe he didnt think there was any doubt in his mind he will be given, so he walks) 2. Standing and waiting for the umpire to rule you out, despite a clear nick or despite a catch taken in gully or covers. sachin has been mostly in this category past few seasons, particularly since England last. 3. Just walking when you nick, and do i all your career irrespective of how many bad decisions you get. This is top cricketing honesty, and Sachin doesnt below in this category, in fact no one does in this team now.

Ok...even if he has indeed walked on 2 occasions , fine. But there are two sides here. 1. Standing and waiting for the umpire to give you out if there is some element of genuine doubt, is fine As a rule, Sachin had been in this category for most parts, except for the odd 2-3 instances ( but here maybe he didnt think there was any doubt in his mind he will be given, so he walks) 2. Standing and waiting for the umpire to rule you out, despite a clear nick or despite a catch taken in gully or covers. sachin has been mostly in this category past few seasons, particularly since England last. 3. Just walking when you nick, and do i all your career irrespective of how many bad decisions you get. This is top cricketing honesty, and Sachin doesnt below in this category, in fact no one does in this team now.
Define that Hari.
Guest HariSampath
Sachin has been given some of the worst umpiring decisions ever! Don't blame him for not walking. As for hari and his saint gilly infatiuation don't make me bump my saint gilly thread and his cheating constant appeals when keeping.
appealing NOT equal to walking while edging. Appeal is part of the delivery process, and unless you can show me instances when Gilly has clearly picked up bump balls and appealed, or not broken stumps with ball in hand , or broken stumps before ball comes in...these types are cheating...I cant agree Gilly is a cheat...but he has never done any of this, and he always walks...so I do consider he has a higher level of integrity than Sachin
gilly did it only 4 later part of his career,never during days wen his place wasnt certain.so u shouldnt admire him too!

i have only seen Lara and Gilly walk-consistently, irrespective of the umpire's decision. Lara was on 91, when Venkataraghavan declined an appeal by Venkatapathy raju, in Mohali, if i am correct,but Lara walked off. Gilly did that in the WC 2003 against SL when he was in the 90's. Dravid did in his debut and later admitted he would not walk again!!!

Guest HariSampath
Define that Hari.
Acting according to what you know for sure..in matters of edging the ball and catching the ball...IF you know for sure and dont wait to be told by the umpire, you are honest. IF you know you have taken the ball on the bounce and immediately signal so, its honest. If not, its not cricketing honesty. As to appealing...its not always about taking wickets...its about pressuring the batsman too. Unless the keeper appeals on a bumped ball , its not cheating.
gilly did it only 4 later part of his career' date='never during days wen his place wasnt certain.so u shouldnt admire him too![/quote'] u r wrong here. Gilly had always done that and his team mates were pretty angry with him about it. that takes lot of courage to do .( edit: may be i am wrong here. apolgies) Lara did because he was an honourable man. mind u, i am not advocating- walking. just telling that indians do not have any 'locus standi' on expecting others to walk when we ourselves dont walk, except when v r exercising!:--D
Guest HariSampath
gilly did it only 4 later part of his career' date='never during days wen his place wasnt certain.so u shouldnt admire him too![/quote'] Yes I know...and he has written/spoken extensively about why and how he started thinking so. In fact many cricketers have been changing since...Sangakkara is a great example. I would rather admire someone who changes into a walker, than someone who changes into a non walker after having been one, like Dravid.
i have only seen Lara and Gilly walk-consistently, irrespective of the umpire's decision. Lara was on 91, when Venkataraghavan declined an appeal by Venkatapathy raju, in Mohali, if i am correct,but Lara walked off. Gilly did that in the WC 2003 against SL when he was in the 90's. Dravid did in his debut and later admitted he would not walk again!!!
And I've also seen Lara being given out stumped by an on field umpire and yet he stood his ground and ask for the 3rd umpire himself. Got banned for that.What does that make him?
appealing NOT equal to walking while edging. Appeal is part of the delivery process' date=' and unless you can show me instances when Gilly has clearly picked up bump balls and appealed, or not broken stumps with ball in hand , or broken stumps before ball comes in...these types are cheating...I cant agree Gilly is a cheat...but he has never done any of this, and he always walks...so I do consider he has a higher level of integrity than Sachin[/quote'] please refer to my saint gilly thread which I helpfully bumped for you:--DAs in that thread you say gilly is a cheat:--D
Acting according to what you know for sure..in matters of edging the ball and catching the ball...IF you know for sure and dont wait to be told by the umpire, you are honest. IF you know you have taken the ball on the bounce and immediately signal so, its honest. If not, its not cricketing honesty. As to appealing...its not always about taking wickets...its about pressuring the batsman too. Unless the keeper appeals on a bumped ball , its not cheating.
Honesty to who? Yourself? Fans? The game? Your team? The umpires? There are several interests form several angles and you can not be honest to all. Cricket is a team game and the best policy is to be honest to your team. Thats what you are there for. If your individual beliefs/practices contradict the team interests, either you should put the team interest at the top or you quit playing. When you accept a wrong decision, you do so because you can not help it. Thats a piece of badluck that you have to accept. But when you reject a piece of good luck, you are being hypocritical to your team. You are there to make runs till you are declared out. But what you do is you push your self above the team and walk out. Accept the bad luck and reject the good luck. Thats hypocrisy.....not honesty.
And I've also seen Lara being given out stumped by an on field umpire and yet he stood his ground and ask for the 3rd umpire himself. Got banned for that.What does that make him?
just curious to know what was the 3rd umpire's decision? by the way, i have seen a few batsmen point the bat to the umpire, when the umpire was in the process of considering a strong LBW appeal by the bowler, even when they have not knicked the ball on to pad.thats cheating and calls for banning!

diverting a bit, 1. i had watched on TV, moin khan appeal and win a bump ball catch- which bounced off ground 4 inches in front of him-Chennai- SRT Epi 136-ganguly-steve dunne. can some one post that video? if ever a rule change is required, for 3rd umpire/ Referee's intervention, even when on field umpires did not call for , is that. 2. i had seen Inzy pick a ball which bounced off the part of his shirt, when he was lying on his back, the ball bouncing right on the part of shirt that was on the ground and appeal and win that decision- sharjah- coca cola cup final- SL Vs Pak, aravinda de silva- 22nd oct 1999. the stupid umpire, with out commonsense ruled it out!

Guest HariSampath
ROFL...gambo, its one of the events that umpire had planned for years !! Umpire Murali was a TNCA official ( doing dirty jobs for home team players :giggle: ) for years...he is that bearded man who u would see on all presentation functions, had been there for 30 years ...he finally realised his ambition of becoming an umpire by pullling strings left right and center...his dream ? To give Lara out in a test match, he had stated it openly to anyone who will hear...when he was trying to become an umpire Finally he didnt get to officiate in a test, but in an ODI in Margoa , I think..and the FIRST appeal against Lara, when he was nowhere out of his crease..Murali rules him out :hysterical: He never stood in any game after that I think, BCCI decided to do away with him, and now he is still "assisting home players to errrr...you know...get useful contacts for past time activities after day's play" :giggle:....that is the story of dadi Murali ( bearded Murali)
ROFL...gambo, its one of the events that umpire had planned for years !! Umpire Murali was a TNCA official ( doing dirty jobs for home team players :giggle: ) for years...he is that bearded man who u would see on all presentation functions, had been there for 30 years ...he finally realised his ambition of becoming an umpire by pullling strings left right and center...his dream ? To give Lara out in a test match, he had stated it openly to anyone who will hear...when he was trying to become an umpire Finally he didnt get to officiate in a test, but in an ODI in Margoa , I think..and the FIRST appeal against Lara, when he was nowhere out of his crease..Murali rules him out :hysterical: He never stood in any game after that I think, BCCI decided to do away with him, and now he is still "assisting home players to errrr...you know...get useful contacts for past time activities after day's play" :giggle:....that is the story of dadi Murali ( bearded Murali)
MAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMA:--D