This is a throwback to the 90s...

Ram

Watching England bat today, it was really sense of deja-vu filling you all over, reminding you of the good 'ol times of the 90s. Openers make cautious start, middle starts and stops and the tail mops up to cap off a 240-odd score. The only problem with that is, we're in 2008, not 1994. Honestly, what were they thinking? In a flat track against an Indian batting order with destructive batsman from no.1 - no.7, their approach to the innings was inexplicable. This was one of the most boring ODI innings I have seen in recent times...Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

this is how they play-most openers nowadays have high strike rates but i bet both england openers dont have strike rates above 70.this is their problem and unless they fix this then their only hope for a high score is to have a solid middle phase with the openers providing a steady start for the final assault to come later. I was really surprised to see freddie come in early.he would have been more useful coing in later.

For a start they got right batting order in this match.Age-old problem with English teams have been their reluctance to use the feet against spinners.That was on show today also.Even though Yuvi went for 50 odd,they never went after him.Bhajji too was allowed to settle down and that saw him flighting the ball on a consistent basis and restricting the scoring opportunities.

Watching England bat today, it was really sense of deja-vu filling you all over, reminding you of the good 'ol times of the 90s. Openers make cautious start, middle starts and stops and the tail mops up to cap off a 240-odd score. The only problem with that is, we're in 2008, not 1994. Honestly, what were they thinking? In a flat track against an Indian batting order with destructive batsman from no.1 - no.7, their approach to the innings was inexplicable. This was one of the most boring ODI innings I have seen in recent times...Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Very good post MM. It does remind one of the old days. That was a very negative approach to the game. They didnt even score much in the power plays.

Respectfully disagree, Sriram. The 90s saw a lot of entertaining opening batting. Mark Greatbatch in New Zealand, the emergence of Kaluwitharana and Jayasuriya around 95/96, Tendulkar and Mark Waugh in their pomp and other occasional entertainment provided by the likes of Shahid Afridi. England's approach seems more akin to the 80s. Early 80s, that too. Maybe even the 70s. The batting tactics aren't that different from what Boycott and Brearley did back in the 79 World Cup final, starting painfully slowly, meandering on with the need to get big runs, and then leaving the middle order with an impossible task. By the time they figure out ODI cricket, the world will have moved onto Ten10 cricket.

Respectfully disagree, Sriram. The 90s saw a lot of entertaining opening batting. Mark Greatbatch in New Zealand, the emergence of Kaluwitharana and Jayasuriya around 95/96, Tendulkar and Mark Waugh in their pomp and other occasional entertainment provided by the likes of Shahid Afridi. England's approach seems more akin to the 80s. Early 80s, that too. Maybe even the 70s. The batting tactics aren't that different from what Boycott and Brearley did back in the 79 World Cup final, starting painfully slowly, meandering on with the need to get big runs, and then leaving the middle order with an impossible task. By the time they figure out ODI cricket, the world will have moved onto Ten10 cricket.
Of course, post 96 world cup saw an entire new breed of attacking batsmanship. I was alluding more to the years of '94, '95 etc, when a 240 score was considered VERY respectful, maybe even unsurpassable.

I actually enjoy games like this more than a game where both sides are scoring over 300+. The reason is ... with these sort of games , its a contest right down to the very end ... batsman has to work hard, bowler has to work hard and its a real dog fight. With games where both sides score 300+ its so one-sided towards the batsman, and a few quick wickets immediately puts one side out of the game and the result becomes a forgone conclusion.

I actually enjoy games like this more than a game where both sides are scoring over 300+. The reason is ... with these sort of games , its a contest right down to the very end ... batsman has to work hard, bowler has to work hard and its a real dog fight. With games where both sides score 300+ its so one-sided towards the batsman, and a few quick wickets immediately puts one side out of the game and the result becomes a forgone conclusion.
That is true to an extent, but big chases are fun to watch. And when I say big chases, I dont mean the 350+ chases when the chasing team has little chance from the beginning. Those, 280, 290 and 300-ish sorta total chases are really exciting to watch coz there are different chases withing the innings second innings itself; The initial blitz, middle order consolidation and the late scramble to the total, something like the Natwest trophy final.
Of course, post 96 world cup saw an entire new breed of attacking batsmanship. I was alluding more to the years of '94, '95 etc, when a 240 score was considered VERY respectful, maybe even unsurpassable.
But even then, some batsmen played with intent. One of the greatest innings played in '94 was a brilliantly paced century from Tendulkar chasing 270 v. New Zealand at home. Mark Greatbatch made a mark in the 92 World Cup with his big hitting and going over the top early on. So yes, England were already behind the times then. And are still behind the times now. Regardless, we disagree to agree: This English team (bar one or two players) belongs in a museum.

England are capable of playing some good ODI cricket at home and in countries where conditions suit their players but when you put them into the subcontinent, they look a completely different team. The current team in India is nothing like the one which smashed South Africa 4-0. Although they somehow managed to beat SL in SL, which is a pretty impressive achievement...

England's needs a hitter, badly. Not a clear-the-left-leg-and-hoick-across-the-line player like Mascarenhas mind you. They a need a cultured hitter, someone ala Misbah. In this line-up, the only worthwhile ODI batsman is Pietersen. For all his fame, Flintoff is still very average as a ODI batsman, his outstanding bowling notwithstanding.

The problem with English ODI teams is that they win some series at home using some mediocre bits and pieces men who can scratch to 30s and 40s and then bowl in the swing friendly english conditions to pick up 3-4 wkts. Once they get 3/4 such players in the squad and thrash some hapless touring teams (the touring team would hav lost due to difficulty in adjusting to the cold english summers and not really because of the efforts of the english team) they start believing that they now have a world beating squad with which they can win in all parts of the world. So when they tour places like India/Pakistan/SLanka where they need real good batsmen and real good bowlers, they refuse to choose such players because of their short memory where they remember onkly the recent series they won. since they won using these bits and pieces men like Bopara, Samit etc. they continue with them only to feel sorry later. This is not the first time England are doing this mistake and I dont think this will be the last time either.

The problem with English ODI teams is that they win some series at home using some mediocre bits and pieces men who can scratch to 30s and 40s and then bowl in the swing friendly english conditions to pick up 3-4 wkts. Once they get 3/4 such players in the squad and thrash some hapless touring teams (the touring team would hav lost due to difficulty in adjusting to the cold english summers and not really because of the efforts of the english team) they start believing that they now have a world beating squad with which they can win in all parts of the world. So when they tour places like India/Pakistan/SLanka where they need real good batsmen and real good bowlers, they refuse to choose such players because of their short memory where they remember onkly the recent series they won. since they won using these bits and pieces men like Bopara, Samit etc. they continue with them only to feel sorry later. This is not the first time England are doing this mistake and I dont think this will be the last time either.