~Rumor~ Hayden may retire next week.

not reported widely
And?? It will be his 100th test and so maybe perfect time to go in haydens head ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matthew Hayden will bounce back to make Ashes tour, Ricky Ponting says By Jim Morton November 23, 2008 AUSTRALIA captain Ricky Ponting has given shaky opener Matthew Hayden his unqualified support to bat through the 2009 Ashes tour of England. Two failures in the first Test victory over New Zealand following a lean tour of India and recurring injury dramas have intensified the questions about 37-year-old Hayden's future. But Ponting moved swiftly to hose down speculation by declaring Hayden the best opener in the country. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Fox Sports Travel: Book your place on the Ashes tour -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ponting predicted that Hayden would celebrate his 100th Test in fine style at the Adelaide Oval next weekend. The Australia skipper said the fire still burned bright in the Queenslander, whom he views as a key figure in the fight to retain the Ashes in England. "I have seen how hungry Matty is," Ponting said on Sunday. "I think skills-wise and hunger-wise, Matthew Hayden is definitely our best opener and will be until he wants to finish." Hayden himself admitted before the 149-run victory over the Black Caps that it may be his last home Gabba Test, suggesting he was a Test-by-Test prospect for the rest of his career. Hayden made just 8 on the opening day on a Gabba wicket tailored for fast bowling and a first-ball duck from a Chris Martin jaffa in the second innings, but Ponting, who made just 4 and 17 himself, felt the double failure was forgivable. "Anyone batting in the top order can be a bit excused for the first-innings batting here, and the ball he got in the second innings is probably going to get every player in the world out first ball," Ponting said. "I got down to the ground the next morning ... and I walked out onto the ground during the warm-up and he was in the indoor nets and he had been there for nearly an hour. "That to me says the hunger for Haydos is still there. He has always been one who works extremely hard on his game if he feels that something is not quite right, so that was a positive sign." -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- First Test blogs: Day one | Day two | Day three | Day four -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ponting believes he knows Hayden's game as well as anyone, and he said he was heartened by the Queenslander's efforts to bounce back from a poor start to the tour of India, in his return following an ankle injury. Hayden's 83 in the third Test in Delhi and 77 in the final innings in Nagpur convinced the captain his intimidating opener has plenty more to give. "He has his 100th Test this week, which will be a great thrill," Ponting said. Former Australia skipper and opener Mark Taylor also had no doubt that Hayden could continue and conquer England after making four Ashes tours without stamping his mark there. "He is fit, strong," Taylor said of Hayden. "It is now just down to him mentally and what is going on in his mind."
Don't see why everyone is so shocked. He is 37. 3 years older then dada, dravid and co. He has been in poor form so of course this may be inevitable. He coould be a liability in ashes series and he knows it!
Maybe you should change your silly topic heading then, deesy ?