My name is Khan

fineleg

India's top Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan will star in a new movie exploring the issue of Islam in the post 9/11 world and the misperception that all Muslims are terrorists. "My Name is Khan" tells the story of six people with Muslim surnames who suffer suspicion and prejudice years after the September 11 terrorist attacks in the United States. "The movie is about a Muslim person's strife (in telling) people that 'my name is Khan but I am not a terrorist'," Khan told reporters after being conferred the governors' award in the southwestern Malaysian state of Malacca in recognition of his 2001 film "One 2 Ka 4", which was set there and boosted its profile as a tourist destination. The Indian Muslim actor, whose wife is Hindu, also condemned religious fundamentalism and denounced acts of violence, saying that the Koran does not preach terror. "Islam does not in any which way tell you to be violent," he said. "I think the whole concept of jihad, the whole concept of warring needs to be explained as Allah meant it to be in the Koran," Khan said. "(The film) is an attempt to try and do that in an entertaining way." Filmmaker Karan Johar will direct while top Bollywood actress Kajol Mukherjee, who has acted in several blockbusters with Khan in the past, will co-star. Filming is due to begin later this month in Los Angeles and is scheduled for release a year later, Khan said. The Bollywood star's comments follow last week's 60-hour Mumbai siege in which 10 Islamic militants attacked multiple targets including the landmark Taj Mahal hotel, killing 163 people including 26 foreigners. Nine militants were killed, while one was captured alive. New Delhi has increasingly pointed at Islamabad over the attack which has enraged public opinion and badly hit relations between the neighbours. Earlier a crowd of more than 500 people thronged the Malacca state secretariat building to witness Khan being conferred the governor's award. The 42-year-old heart-throb is well-loved in Malaysia, a popular location for Indian films which have a huge following among ethnic Indians and the majority Muslim-Malays.

Guest dada_rocks

This chump is on every channel ranting how india's secualrism is in danger due to thsi blast.. this guys asap needs soem political science education and when to say what.. this is no freaking time to cry wolf

"Islam does not in any which way tell you to be violent," he said. "I think the whole concept of jihad, the whole concept of warring needs to be explained as Allah meant it to be in the Koran," Khan said."
So wise ass is going to get Allaha to come to the set of the movie for shooting? Maybe Mr Khan thinks that he is god himself? :finger:

In Chak de, he plays this Muslim hero turned villein turned Here... Now, he's playing another victimized Muslim. Is there some intent here or is it all just coincidence?
After acting in innumerable movies as Rahul (who's always perfect - has a solution for everything, etc.) maybe he's trying for a bit of variety. I'd rather watch this than Om Shanti Om or his Don, honestly. I thought Chak De was a good movie - for a Shah Rukh movie- his best one after Swades (which was also very good).

This chump is on every channel ranting how india's secualrism is in danger due to thsi blast.. this guys asap needs soem political science education and when to say what.. this is no freaking time to cry wolf
In Chak de, he plays this Muslim hero turned villein turned Here... Now, he's playing another victimized Muslim. Is there some intent here or is it all just coincidence?
So wise ass is going to get Allaha to come to the set of the movie for shooting? Maybe Mr Khan thinks that he is god himself? :finger:
C'mon, you guys are being mean here. He is quite an icon, and as a secular Muslim (with a Hindu wife), he has some responsibility. Whatever he is, his opinion matters because it influences people. Today when Politicians and their views hold no meaning for the public, they would love someone like SRK make a point. As someone pointed out, unfortunately, it has become every responsible Muslim's responsibility to stand up and assure everyone that Islam does not support this barbarism. SRK is doing that. And yes, he is probably the most popular Muslim in India.

Guest dada_rocks

Icon of song and dance let him restrict himself to song and dance.. This chump knows nothign about islam.. I vividly remember in KBC hosted by Bachchan he was a celebrity guest and one question thronw to him was What does HAFIZ mean? This chump had no idea about Hafiz had to use lifeline. Now this sort of ignorant moron viz a viz islam goes around preaching islam doesn't support this or that what's the credibility.

Icon of song and dance let him restrict himself to song and dance.. This chump knows nothign about islam.. I vividly remember in KBC hosted by Bachchan he was a celebrity guest and one question thronw to him was What does HAFIZ mean? This chump had no idea about Hafiz had to use lifeline. Now this sort of ignorant moron viz a viz islam goes around preaching islam doesn't support this or that what's the credibility.
At least he knows that Islam does not allow one to kill innocent people on the name of religion- a wisdom that is not so common these days. That puts him somewhere in the wise people. And if his views can influence the thinking of some young Muslims about Jihad and young Hindus (and others) about fellow Muslims, which is quite likely given his celebrity status and fan following), he has done the job better than most Islam scholars. People like SRK might not be great scholars, but they work effectively as a medium to spread the message.

Whatever he is' date=' his opinion matters because it influences people. Today when Politicians and their views hold no meaning for the public, they would love someone like SRK make a point. And yes, he is probably the most popular Muslim in India.[/quote'] agreed.. but my problem with him is that in times like this.. he decided to shut up and close doors.... look at his interview on NDTV.. and he said.... its time to shut up and not to say anything because he can get in unwanted controversy.. hahha.. funny guy.. Aamir khan is way ahead of him..... atleast he came out with some statement the very next day.. but the 'king' khan ran away from that..

Considering he is muslim since birth and based on your posts, you're not - I'd trust Shahrukh more than you anyday with anything regards to Islam. And no he shouldn't restrict himself to song and dance - he is quite possibly the biggest star in Indian Cinema right now (barring AB obviously) and whether you like it or not, he has an incredible influence on people. I am very glad he has said what he did - along with Aamir as well. I liked Aamir's responses better, obviously, on his blog but Shahrukh's statements are just as important because speaking for myself, because of the very few muslim characters played by these guys on screen and their hindu wives, etc. - I forget that they are muslims.

Guest dada_rocks
At least he knows that Islam does not allow one to kill innocent people on the name of religion- a wisdom that seems to get rare day by day. That puts him somewhere in the wise people.
He thinks that and I grant him basic human decency for that bu that's an unadulterated lie.. as i mentioned to take his word seriously over what islam says is bull.... if he is trying to refomr islam then all power to him

At least he knows that Islam does not allow one to kill innocent people on the name of religion- a wisdom that seems to get rare day by day. That puts him somewhere in the wise people.
Well...SRK feels like that coz he's a Indian Muslim who is making the moolah as a actor in Hindustan...if he was a ordinary muslim dude who has 10 kids and less income...he would never say something in that line...also...he's still trying to prove that all muslims are not terrorists....well...we surely know that not all muzzies are...but fact remains that a good 10% are....and they do have 89% sympathisers (educated & illiterate) and i% are definetely innocent.

Guest dada_rocks

Whatever he means or knows this was not the time to raise issue like doubts over india's secularism that might creep in due to this event

Guest dada_rocks
http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/video/video.aspx?id=46516 take a look at it... 'i am scared... and i cant do anything about this'' what kinda comment is that?? you are almost the most powerful muslim in India.. wat you mean you cant do anything .. for god sake say something.. even pakis hear you and look up to you..
He can;t bring himself to tell the truth .. clarity of his thought only comes when he is criticising indian army.. rest of the time he suffers from aphasia..

Considering he is muslim since birth and based on your posts' date=' you're not - I'd trust Shahrukh more than you anyday with anything regards to Islam. [/quote'] :hysterical::haha: What do you smoke dude? Pass it on will ya? That is like saying that criminal X who has been committing crimes all his life on being caught demands a jury made up 100% criminals only. If anything the reason you gave supports the argument that he is too close to Islam to look at the religious text from a critical neutral point of view. Don't take Dada's or Sharuk's word. Read the text yourself!

Guest dada_rocks
Considering he is muslim since birth and based on your posts, you're not - I'd trust Shahrukh more than you anyday with anything regards to Islam. And no he shouldn't restrict himself to song and dance - he is quite possibly the biggest star in Indian Cinema right now (barring AB obviously) and whether you like it or not, he has an incredible influence on people. I am very glad he has said what he did - along with Aamir as well. I liked Aamir's responses better, obviously, on his blog but Shahrukh's statements are just as important because speaking for myself, because of the very few muslim characters played by these guys on screen and their hindu wives, etc. - I forget that they are muslims.
Dude you have lost it..Doesn;t matetr what i know here is question what he knows.. IF anyone who calls himself muslm and doesn`t know what is hafiz then I am not gong to take anything heéshe says abut islam seirously.. i consider you yoorself don;t know what hafiz is hence this hiding behind ssince he was born muslim hence he beocmes authority on islam..