MCG pitch

.....is playing a few tricks now and if there was a certain Warne in the Aussie squad I would have put my money on Australia to take this one with a 200 lead, but I have a feeling this one is going to go right down to the wire. It's becoming rapidly difficult to score anything on this wicket and as I am typing this the last Aussie wicket has fallen giving Steyn a 10 for, a richly deserved one, but even with 3 bowlers + part timers this is not going to be an easy chase, IMO.....and if they do indeed track it down they are well deserved numero Unos.

Actually, Lee being out may actually not help South Africa. On present form he'd have taken the new ball and wasted it, offering too many four balls and too little accuracy/control. Siddle was fantastic with the new ball in the first innings, and he and Johnson combining with it could be much more dangerous than Lee/either of them.

Another tactical f-ck up by Ponting here. A max of 7-8 overs remain in the day. If he'd sent in his two in-form pacemen with the new ball, Australia may have stood a far better chance. Johnson's coming off an 8-for in the last game, Siddle was breathing fire with the ball on day 2 clocking up to 150 kmh with swing and real movement. Johnson and Siddle could have had a brief spell this evening at full tilt, then resumed tomorrow fresh. Instead that chance is being wasted so Lee can run in, bowling about 10 kmh slower than he would at peak and struggling for rhythm and pace. But then again we don't expect common sense or logic, let alone tactical brilliance from Pwnting.

Oh god, now the commentators are now calling Bung "brave" with every few deliveries. Reminds me of his immensely overrated bowling display in the 05 Ashes when he kept going at 4+ runs per over, bowling no-balls every other over and got plaudits for smiling, running in and trying hard and playing "bravely" in great spirit even when the chips were down - without any focus on the facts that his control sucked and he didn't swing it half the time.