To all those who think India is number one and not SA

Chandan

TABLE FOR HOME AND AWAY RESULTS IN TESTS 2yv9nh5.jpg Just see how much India has to catch up while SA is so much ahead of us in this department. At home, SA have to draw or win against Aust and England to be equal or ahead of India but away: SA have won in Australia, India hasn't SA have won in Pak, India hasn't SA have drawn in NZ, India had lost SA have drawn in India, India lost in SA SA gets a score of 5 out of 7 while India manages just 2. Even overall score (home and away) of SA comes to 10 while India has managed just 8 despite its superior home record. How can you say that India is better than SA until India also achieves all the results which Australia and now SA has managed, home and away? PS: This table has excluded BD and Zim obviously from all the results!

well the current Indian squad is the one that we all believe wud take us to the number 1 position..the rise of Zak and Ishant as world class fast bowlers happened in the last 1 year or so..and we all know that our away victories were few and far in between but the current unit has all the potential to change it..SA have formed a formidable unit..there is no doubt about it..but we are serious contenders and we will see that next year..

TABLE FOR HOME AND AWAY RESULTS IN TESTS 2yv9nh5.jpg Just see how much India has to catch up while SA is so much ahead of us in this department. At home, SA have to draw or win against Aust and England to be equal or ahead of India but away: SA have won in Australia, India hasn't SA have won in Pak, India hasn't SA have drawn in NZ, India had lost SA have drawn in India, India lost in SA SA gets a score of 5 out of 7 while India manages just 2. Even overall score (home and away) of SA comes to 10 while India has managed just 8 despite its superior home record. How can you say that India is better than SA until India also achieves all the results which Australia and now SA has managed, home and away? PS: This table has excluded BD and Zim obviously from all the results!
It basically boils down to how you interpret what #1 means. Being #1 might mean consistency in victory - India cannot claim this Being #1 might mean defeating the best country - India can claim this. Being #1 might mean defeating the top 3 countries both home and away - India cannot claim this.

I can't believe we drew with NZ at home. :(( But considering how much our team has improved over the previous teams in winning test matches (not series) abroad, I'd still say that we're on the way to become one of the top teams [perhaps #1 sometime in 2011 after the Australia series?].

By end 2010,If Rohit sharma fulfills his promise, then he can be a suitable replacement for Laxman. if Raina can sort out his weakness against shortlitched deliveries, he can fill in Dravid's slot.ofcourse there are other contenders like M.Vijay or Pujara or Rahane or Badri or M.Tiwary or S.Dhawan so, i think in batting we would manage if Sachin keeps up his form and guides the youngsters including Yuvraj and boost their confidence.

By end 2010' date='If Rohit sharma fulfills his promise, then he can be a suitable replacement for Laxman. if Raina can sort out his weakness against shortlitched deliveries, he can fill in Dravid's slot.ofcourse there are other contenders like M.Vijay or Pujara or Rahane or Badri or M.Tiwary or S.Dhawan so, i think in batting we would manage if Sachin keeps up his form and guides the youngsters including Yuvraj and boost their confidence.[/quote'] raina for dravid?he has lots to do for that.his leg side play is not great,hit the ball in the year there n gets shaken by short deliveries.its not only that he doesnt play them well,but after a bouncer,he looks uncomfortable n gets out quickly.he can be a good no.5 though as he plays spinners well
raina for dravid?he has lots to do for that.his leg side play is not great' date='hit the ball in the year there n gets shaken by short deliveries.its not only that he doesnt play them well,but after a bouncer,he looks uncomfortable n gets out quickly.he can be a good no.5 though as he plays spinners well[/quote'] there r many options to fill the spot of Dravid- the selectors may l go in for Vijay or Pujara as well.but since Raina has been around for quite some time and has done decently in the one dayers, excellent fielding, he can be considered. ofcourse Ravi shastri mentioned in a post match interview with Dhoni about Raina's discomfort in facing chin music. he will sort it out and come back better prepared soon in international cricket.
By end 2010' date='If Rohit sharma fulfills his promise, then he can be a suitable replacement for Laxman. if Raina can sort out his weakness against shortlitched deliveries, he can fill in Dravid's slot.ofcourse there are other contenders like M.Vijay or Pujara or Rahane or Badri or M.Tiwary or S.Dhawan so, i think in batting we would manage if Sachin keeps up his form and guides the youngsters including Yuvraj and boost their confidence.[/quote'] i know a lot of people here will not agree but i have faith in sharma-he is still young and if can fulfill his promise then we have a great middle order batsman in all 3 forms of the game.
there r many options to fill the spot of Dravid- the selectors may l go in for Vijay or Pujara as well.but since Raina has been around for quite some time and has done decently in the one dayers' date=' excellent fielding, he can be considered. ofcourse Ravi shastri mentioned in a post match interview with Dhoni about Raina's discomfort in facing chin music. he will sort it out and come back better prepared soon in international cricket.[/quote'] still i dont see him as a great no.3.as no.3 he will have to face the new ball which he isnt used to.excellent fielding is just a bonus in test cricket,its not as imp. as batting.i will have vijay at no.3 since he wont get to open with gambhir n sehwag around

SA is playing wonderfully and is a better test outfit. Better than India. India takes the second position at best. Laxman, Dravid and Tendulkar can not be sufficiently replaced by anyone from the younger generation. But the positions have to be filled and when these amazing players are no more available, the selectors will simply have to select the best available 11. What I hope is that as a team they become champions if not as individuals like the trio....which none of them can be.

Thanks a lot!. Obviously, our record is still poor compared to the other two teams. However, I requested BB for these stats so that we could compare how the teams have improved. And the W/L Ratio for Australia in 00s is 239% of their record in the 90s. For SA, its 98.4% (they've been consistent?). For us, its a staggering 1566.66% improvement. I don't know what this says about our present status as a team (to me it means that we've really improved our game thousand-fold abroad and therefore do deserve the accolades that we're getting now as a good/very good team) but I'm very happy that the record has gone from 1/39 to 18/53. We've still lost too many games away (19) and we still draw too many games. But I think that will change.

Thats is fine. But all realistic fans would agree that Australia and SA are still far ahead of us as far as winning everywhere is considered. We'll remain number 3 for a while and I can't see how we can become number one in tests by 2010 as Srikanth expects or dreams!