Viru pays tribute to Hayden

SachDan

Although Viru had lot of good things to say about Hayden,this particular opinion takes the cake.. Hayden could sledge while batting: Sehwag

Mumbai: Matthew Hayden has retired but I get to understand that he has quit on his own terms. I've not seen an attacking batsman of his calibre in my career. The game of cricket has lost a great player. Crucially enough, Australia have lost a rare cricketer. His absence will be felt just as the retirement of Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath. Very badly, that is. The way he came back to international cricket was amazing. Since his comeback, I think in 1999, he has scored 29 Test hundreds. That is in less than 10 years. I don't think any opener has done that ever. In the last eight years he has scored more than 20 centuries. You can be sure that Australia will not be able to unearth an opener who can hit 20 centuries in the next eight years. If you look at my career, I have played eight years and managed only 15. The best thing about him was that he took advantage of his weight and height. A player of his size can be intimidating for any bowler. He attacks the bowler from the word go.Besides, he is the only batsman I know of who abused the bowler while batting. Yes, you are right, he sledged while batting. He can talk to the bowler and yet stay on the crease and concentrate on his business. Not only that, he can even sledge the fielders while batting. That is not easy, nor is it common. I've known a few players who have complained that this guy talks, chats and sledges a lot. I'm sure his retirement will come as a relief for the bowlers. To attack like him one has to have the shot selection right, know which bowler to hit and which bowler to respect. He knew how to build his innings. If Australia had won so many matches in the last 8-10 years, it was because of the starts he had provided. They would reach 500 in just over a day and it would be largely because of his batting. He would clear the fence even when there is long-off and long-on. Besides, his cover drives and straight drives are difficult to match. The other important aspect of his career was his mental toughness. If your mindset is strong you can survive in international cricket. A batsman can play for 10 years only when he is mentally strong. He was 37. Personally I don't think age is a factor. The key thing is fitness and the ability to enjoy your cricket. My personal equation with him was good. We respected each other. I have never had a chance to open with him in any friendly or benefit games. Actually I would love to do that. I want to watch him bat from the other end. I hope I will get one chance. (As told to Vijay Tagore)
http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1221302