Pacers for Newzealand Tour

umpire

Fontaine..considering RP's downward spiral..we might be left with no option but to pick Sreesanth.As bad as he has been recently,surely you must prefer him ahead of Praveen? Although i agree with you that he definitely is not among the first three options for seamers.So its only injuries that will let him get back.Barring that it would take a really solid performance in the ODIs if he gets to play them.

Fontaine..considering RP's downward spiral..we might be left with no option but to pick Sreesanth.As bad as he has been recently' date='surely you must prefer him ahead of Praveen? Although i agree with you that he definitely is not among the first three options for seamers.So its only injuries that will let him get back.Barring that it would take a really solid performance in the ODIs if he gets to play them.[/quote'] That's pretty much the way I see it too RR. The third seamer role is between Pathan/Patel.
It was the same in South Africa in the 20/20 world cup. I know it's a different format but swing is still swing. Rp, and Pathan were getting the ball to swing, especially RP who was devastating while Sreesanth was sharing the new ball with RP but getting no swing, bowling rank deliveries sitting up to be smashed, and then of course the inevitable happened: Sreesanth started changing his action/run up. :
Isn't this the scorecard from from the same T20 cup where Sree helped us reach the final with an exceptional bowling performance against Australia? See for yourself! Scorecard
As far as I know, "dude" is used for male gendre and I'm female. And as far as bowlers are concerned, RP Singh has been this unfit since Feb 2008 and hasn't recovered as yet. We thought that he had recovered by playing him in April against SA. He failed miserably. And since then he is struggling to get fit. One thought that he had recovered considerably after resting for more than 3 months after the ODI series in Lanka. But he showed in this match that he was still unfit. If he has struggled to gain fitness since last 12 months, how are you sure that he'll gain it in next 2 months?
Oops ... my bad ... i thought chandan was a "dude", nevertheless ... regardless of their fitness, i would have always wanted these 5 bowlers The thread was about your five pacer wishlist and i posted mine ... fitness is something which cannot be termed certain ... I aint the team physio so i cant comment on their physical condition .... Zak Ishant Muna RP Praveen Shree The spell Praveen bowled in the second final of the Aussie series was fantastic, and i always felt he could prove to be a potent weapon in Kiwi conditions RP and Shree in England were brilliant Yes, the chaps mentioned above arnt fit, but if they were i would want them in the squad to Kiwiland !!!

zaheer khan and ishant sharma i fear, rpsingh and sreesanth will be overlooked by the selection commitee ideally, i would want both of them to be in the squad, and atleast one of them in the playing 11 as the 3rd seamer the selectors will surely include no swing and no pace pathan perhaps, munaf patel could suit us better

Isn't this the scorecard from from the same T20 cup where Sree helped us reach the final with an exceptional bowling performance against Australia? See for yourself! Scorecard
Dude did you even watch that game or do you remember how it went down? If you did then you wouldn't be asking me this question. Just joking about the dude part!! :winky:
Dude did you even watch that game or do you remember how it went down? If you did then you wouldn't be asking me this question. :
Ah remember it very well. How he was not able to take Hayden in the first spell and his reaction when he came back and cleaned him up! It was absolutely superb after watching the wayward Sree vs England in England. But we do not know what he is like today since it has been ages since he took field. He has to prove himself in Duleep trophy before even getting into the reckoning.
does anybody actually know what the situation is with sreesanth?-i just cant believe he hasnt made more of a effort to get back.all this argument is moot if he isnt fit and ready to go by then.
Read the thread "four reasons why we should win in NZ.." thread. I've posted the article there.
does anybody actually know what the situation is with sreesanth?-i just cant believe he hasnt made more of a effort to get back.all this argument is moot if he isnt fit and ready to go by then.
he is fit in fact, it has been long since he declared himself fit the selectors are just ignoring him for his on feild behaviour at last, they are giving him a chance in the duleep trophy
Ah remember it very well. How he was not able to take Hayden in the first spell and his reaction when he came back and cleaned him up! It was absolutely superb after watching the wayward Sree vs England in England. But we do not know what he is like today since it has been ages since he took field. He has to prove himself in Duleep trophy before even getting into the reckoning.
Yes the media hype and all the talk is about the Sreesanth vs Hayden and the histrionics on the field. That's nice. Everyone needs a distraction from constant cricket I guess. I'm talking about bowling though. And on a flat deck it was Bhajji/RP/Sharma who got the last three overs to save India when Australia needed something like 20+ with 6 wickets in hand and three overs remaining. Those three bowlers won the match as well as Yuvi's great knock of 70 quick runs. And for the record I'm not questioning his talent. Yes he can bowl at pace and have a decent game now and then but he's never consistent and that's what you need from a number 3. A control bowler who can bowl good line and length over his spell right from the start like Patel in his recent ODIs, or Pathan as he's shown in domestic cricket for a while. But in case the Indian team need a mascot, you know a dancer to cheer them up then yes Sreesanth would be invaluable.
Yes the media hype and all the talk is about the Sreesanth vs Hayden and the histrionics on the field. That's nice. Everyone needs a distraction from constant cricket I guess. I'm talking about bowling though. And on a flat deck it was Bhajji/RP/Sharma who got the last three overs to save India when Australia needed something like 20+ with 6 wickets in hand and three overs remaining. Those three bowlers won the match as well as Yuvi's great knock of 70 quick runs. And for the record I'm not questioning his talent. Yes he can bowl at pace and have a decent game now and then but he's never consistent and that's what you need from a number 3. A control bowler who can bowl good line and length over his spell right from the start like Patel in his recent ODIs, or Pathan as he's shown in domestic cricket for a while. But in case the Indian team need a mascot, you know a dancer to cheer them up then yes Sreesanth would be invaluable.
your saying that a bowler who bowled his 4 overs for 12 runs and picked up the man who was taking the game away from us didn't have a hand in winning us the game? He was bowling to two guys that have routinely beat us up over the last decade.

In the Tests, I'd not hesitate before going for Munaf Patel, Zaheer Khan and Ishant Sharma as the first three pace bowlers with Harbhajan Singh playing as the fourth bowler; although whether to play two spinners or three pacers is up for discussion, imo. As a reserve bowler, I'd go for Irfan Pathan, who played four FC games and did very well - people have also forgotten his success in Australia too, where he earnt the man of the match in our single Tests victory. I would not go for Sreesanth, RP Singh or Praveen Kumar as there are question marks over the fitness of all three players and international cricket is not the place for someone to prove their performance. With the latter two, they have had plenty of opportunities in domestic cricket to show fitness and form and have not done so. In the ODIs, I'd look to rotate Munaf, Ishant and Zaheer and play spinners such as Mishra, Harbhajan, Ravindra Jadeja, Yusuf Pathan, etc. I feel that the short boundaries which are rife in New Zealand could mean that pace bowlers fly to the boundaries whereas a bowler who takes the pace off the ball may be more useful.

You can almost count with fingers in a single hand, the number of worthwhile contributions Sreesanth has made to the team. If people point out his semi-final performance against Australia in the T20 world cup, then they musnt have surely forgotten his ‘contributions’ in the final. RP was spitting fire at one end, bowling with pace, venom and accuracy, while Sreesanth was single-handedly trying to lose the match for us. Imran Nazir dispatched him to all part of the ground in Sreesanths’ first over, which cost 18 runs. Only another brilliant over from RPS, when he bowled Kamran Akmal and the run-out of Nazir saved our skins. Without a shadow of doubt, RPS was our bowler of that tournament. At times, he looked almost unplayable. That is a rare adjective for a fast bowler in T20 cricket.

In the ODIs, I'd look to rotate Munaf, Ishant and Zaheer and play spinners such as Mishra, Harbhajan, Ravindra Jadeja, Yusuf Pathan, etc. I feel that the short boundaries which are rife in New Zealand could mean that pace bowlers fly to the boundaries whereas a bowler who takes the pace off the ball may be more useful.
I disagree, its generally the other way around. Spinner can be easily carted around for sixes in small ground, especially if they're mediocre part-timers. Yusuf Pathan has a big role to play in the ODIs in NZ. He's one of those guys who can hit a six almost at will and in those small grounds in Kiwiland, he can be deadly dangerous.

Sreesanth : Let's see where to begin. I can't even believe that some are purporting Pathan over him. How about the VB series win last year? Decimated the Australian top order innings after innings and left them paralyzed to score any decent runs throughout the series. Completely transformed his reputation as an average ODI bowler and finished with 9 wickets in 5 matches at an average of 20 against Australia. 6 out of those 9 were top order wickets, underlying his importance. How about the spell he bowled to Pakistan in the ODI series before that when he claimed three top order wickets in a couple of overs on a patta? T20? How about his bowling in the WC instrumental in our wins against South Africa and Australia. I see Fontaine above praising our bowlers in the last 3 overs....here is some news - the match would have been over by then had Sreesanth not bowled at 3 RPO in a T20 match and picked up Hayden Tests? What Sreesanth did to South Africa at Johannesburg is unmatched by either Zaheer or Ishant. It was the best spell by an Indian fast bowler since Srinath's 8 wicket haul at Calcutta a decade ago. That is what this guys is capable of - shredding to bits an accomplished batting line up in their own backyard. Followed it up with a marathon 8 wicket haul in the next test match. Zaheer Khan in his 60+ match career has been able to pick up 8+ wickets once.......Sreesanth did it in back to back matches. Or what about Kingston, when Sarwan looked like taking the match away from us? The perfect outswinger to get another crucial top order wicket. For all the slating he got in England - yes he had a poor match at Nottingham - he was our best bowler at the Oval and had brought India right back into a winning position with wickets of Vaughan, Pietersen, and Collingwood, again all top order wickets. No other Indian bowler looked like buying a wicket in that innings. Everyone knows cricket is much more than numbers and the ability of Sreesanth to take top order wickets at crucial junctures and the potential to turn in absolute ripping spells at times makes it a no brainer to play him in the team whenever he is fit. Oh, and his numbers aren't bad either - 50 wickets in 14 matches at 31 is a better return than either Zaheer or Ishant. Not that I am saying he is better than either on current form, but you don't get those kind of wickets and numbers unless you have talent and ability. The guys is special and mentioning trundlers like Pathan and P Kumar in the same breath as him is a disrespect for all that fast bowling stands for.

How about the VB series win last year? Decimated the Australian top order innings after innings and left them paralyzed to score any decent runs throughout the series. Completely transformed his reputation as an average ODI bowler and finished with 9 wickets in 5 matches at an average of 20 against Australia. 6 out of those 9 were top order wickets, underlying his importance. How about the spell he bowled to Pakistan in the ODI series before that when he claimed three top order wickets in a couple of overs on a patta?
Thats just a gross exaggeration. The standout pacemen from our team in that tournament were clearly Ishant and Praveen Kumar. Sreesanth was decent at best, not 'decimating'..
T20? How about his bowling in the WC instrumental in our wins against South Africa and Australia. I see Fontaine above praising our bowlers in the last 3 overs....here is some news - the match would have been over by then had Sreesanth not bowled at 3 RPO in a T20 match and picked up Hayden
Thats probably the ONLY T20 match that Sreesanth has had a significant positive impact. Doubt if thats something anyone can shout about.