Trying out bench strength for ODIs 4 and 5?

fineleg

One thing is we need to place deep scars within the minds of Mendis and Murali. And for that to happen can't rest SRT, GG and VS. I'd rest one of Raina, Yuvraj or Pathan to play Jadeja at #4/5. Also, play Balaji instead of Ishant/ZK. Rest either of Pathan and Raina to play Irfan. Also, it might be time to get innovative and play one of the ODI openers at #5 or #6 or so because of the batting team power play. Essentially play those players who are not sloggers but can clear boundaries at will during field restrictions. SRT, VS and Ponting are the prime examples.

i don't see the point of playing Rohit Sharma. He's been given plenty of opportunities and failed..........badly! I'd rather they give R. Jadega a go. He can do no worse than R. Sharma in terms of batting, and could also bowl....

Guys' date=' how come they don't pick Shikhar Dhiwan? I think he'd be a good try in these 'dead rubbers.'[/quote'] oh hai there @m1t$ :itsme:
don't wanna see Sehwag rest. He is scoring, and also alredy missed ODI 1.. i wanna see him play every game here..
But as per HT "Team news" for this match: India are likely to rest Sehwag, Yuvraj and Zaheer with a view to give the bench strength a chance to press their claims. Rohit Sharma, Ravindra Jadeja and Lakshmipathy Balaji are expected to take their places respectively. Sri Lanka could make one or two changes with medium fast bowler Angelo Mathews coming in for either Dilhara Fernando or Farveez Maharoof and Jehan Mubarak taking Chamara Kapugedera's place. I can't imagine that Sehwag and Yuvi will be rested together. And Sehwag has played just 2 matches.
Reagrding the team for the remaining ODI's..its really tough to give everybody a game without hurting a f3ew egos. Realistically speaking the only ones who could/should be made to sit out are the ones who have cemented their places in the side.. They are: Sachin Sehwag Gambhir Yuvraj Dhoni Zak Ishant Praveen and Ojha(with this squad,atm) Who are the players that can/need to be given a rest? I would say one from Sehwag/Gambhir OR Sachin. This spot will most definitely go to Rohit.My money would be on the former option. Yuvraj and Dhoni are definite starters imo.Form the base of the middle order. If Balaji has to get a game the only one whom he could replace is Zak(i'm still against this, because he too is a similar bowler to Sharma but he did some bowling in the Ranji semis and finals while Sharma cooled his heels off). Praveen,Raina and Yusuf Pathan again themselves are part of the youngsters' group so don't see them getting rested.They have performed well so far and hence they will be made to take up even more responsibiilty from now onwards. So that leaves the final spot up for grabs between Ojha and Jadeja.Ojaha is the better bowler and Jadeja the better bat.So it really depends on the combination.If we have Sehwag playing we could play Jadeja etc.. Also if we want to have Jadeja and Ojha playing..we'll have to go in with 2 pacers which i somehow doubt.. I must say i really don't see all the reserves getting a game.Atleast not both the games. edit:totally forgot about Irfan..he should be ahead of Balaji.So i'm afraid i don't see Bala getting a game at all.
Looks like i got it right:yay: