IPL success driven by quality, not just money

Feed

More... IPL success driven by quality, not just money Harsha Bhogle Posted: Feb 06, 2009 at 0852 hrs IST So our friends from Karachi and Lahore and Multan and Faisalabad will not be able to come and play Cricket in India because others from there and beyond sowed hate and distrust. It is regrettable but sadly appropriate in these times; for those who use bats may have been the subject of anger that should be reserved for those who use guns. It is always like that. For all our love sport is a mere twig that must struggle against the mighty gale of hatred. It is a feel good pill that can be no match to a raging disease. What a pity that happiness must inevitably surrender before the ferocity of hatred? Can we not, I sometimes wonder, be ferociously happy? And so cricket is the new pawn buffeted around like Indian Hockey is by those who claim to be its friends. From a cricketing point of view though, few of the Pakistan players will be missed; either for reasons of form or, worse, for attitude. One is part of life, the other inadmissible. Rajasthan Royals will be worst hit for theirs was a frugal model that relied on key players delivering. And nobody delivered for them better than Sohail Tanvir. And Kolkata Knight Riders will miss Umar Gul who carried an inexperienced attack and was more valuable than Shoaib Akhtar who was really a box-office choice. The only other player who played consistently enough was Shahid Afridi who should have been one of the stars of the IPL but who, for various reasons, will not be missed by the Deccan Chargers. Pakistan’s exit will mean a greater opportunity for the genial Sri Lankans but also for New Zealanders and South Africans. Nobody has greater experience of playing T20 cricket than the Proteas but franchises will expect a humbler approach from them. Everybody was learning in the first year but a lot of players will discover that things will be very different henceforth. Serious money is being paid, not gifted, and attitude will count for a lot. Those who turn up for the purse rather than for the cricket might have a surprise in store. It baffles me that in some places the IPL is still being seen as a financial rather than as a cricketing phenomenon. As recent events in the world have taught us financial products with little to back them deliver a lot of promise, a lot of pain and eventually go bust. The IPL is about cricket and as it settles down and acquires a learning curve of its own, will reward cricketers who deliver returns on their investment. This is not a large moneypot into which you dip your hands and run away with the booty. This is serious stuff and some observers around the world are in denial about it. This is not a poor little rich kid seeking its place in the world by throwing money at anyone who knocks at its doors. The money in Indian Cricket has not been earned by thuggery and its colour is the same as that from other respectable enterprises around the world. It amused me no end that last year it was pooh-poohed by players who thought this was another form of beach and beer cricket. The auction was ridiculed and it still is but one of the great advantages of sitting on a distant couch is that you don’t always have to present an alternative. In course of time the auction will cease to be important but in the first year it was essential. Already there are fewer players up for grabs since teams are more or less settled and we will slowly move towards a trading system as exists in the more established football leagues. Just as those who ridiculed Kerry Packer were the ones who looked stupid in the end, those that choose to ignore, or choose not to understand, the Indian consumer and Indian markets will become irrelevant. Those that close their eyes can only see darkness. Teams in this year’s IPL are being picked very differently from last year. True the megastars are in demand but there are a lot of places available for the hard working value for money players. In the years ahead those that come seeking opportunity will do much better than those who ride in prospecting for gold. (Commentator Harsha Bhogle is an adviser with the Mumbai Indians)

Oh man... I dunno why you dont like Harsha's commentary. He's very good as a commentator as well
I don't dislike him all the time, .... I actually read his interviews / articles etc, but at times on live commentary, I just wish he doesn't get so hysterical. Do you remember the border gavaskar trophy delhi test, where Matthew Hayden gets hit on the head twice in the very first over of the day by Zaheer Khan's bouncers? He's literally beside himself on live air, going "Why isn't there a short fine leg in place. You got 600 on the board .............. Why is there no short fine leg" etc. I really like Sunny, but that was irritating. Its the same reasoning. I guess they got caught up in the moment.

I don't dislike him all the time, .... I actually read his interviews / articles etc, but at times on live commentary, I just wish he doesn't get so hysterical. Do you remember the border gavaskar trophy delhi test, where Matthew Hayden gets hit on the head twice in the very first over of the day by Zaheer Khan's bouncers? He's literally beside himself on live air, going "Why isn't there a short fine leg in place. You got 600 on the board .............. Why is there no short fine leg" etc. I really like Sunny, but that was irritating. Its the same reasoning. I guess they got caught up in the moment.
Border Gavaskar trophy Delhi test? We've had just 2 tests here in Border Gavaskar trophy--one in 96 and one in 08? There was no Zaheer Khan in 96. So obviously you are talking about 08 match. When did you hear Harsha on live commentary in this match and where? To my knowledge, Harsha was not in the commentary team of Neo cricket last year.

harsha s very good as a commentator.his choice of words is terrific n original.e.g. when vaas was getting hit aroud in CB series match last year,he was changing ends constantly.harsha says "Vaas is looking as confused as a kid in a toy shop,dunno which one to pick."or wen tendulkar hit a cover drive on way to a century,he says "of all the gems he has played today,this one sparkles the brightest":two_thumbs_up:

Border Gavaskar trophy Delhi test? We've had just 2 tests here in Border Gavaskar trophy--one in 96 and one in 08? There was no Zaheer Khan in 96. So obviously you are talking about 08 match. When did you hear Harsha on live commentary in this match and where? To my knowledge, Harsha was not in the commentary team of Neo cricket last year.
You're right, I am talking about the 08 match that was played at the Feroz Shah Kotla, where India amassed 600 [Gambhir and Laman double centuries] Remember Sunny cracking a fit on live commentary with Mark Nicholas as his co commentator when Hayden got hit with a Zak bouncer in Aus 1st innings. I am just drawing a comparison that like Sunny, whose a very decent commentator, he gets a little over excited.

You're right' date=' I am talking about the 08 match that was played at the Feroz Shah Kotla, where India amassed 600 [Gambhir and Laman double centuries'] Remember Sunny cracking a fit on live commentary with Mark Nicholas as his co commentator when Hayden got hit with a Zak bouncer in Aus 1st innings. I am just drawing a comparison that like Sunny, whose a very decent commentator, he gets a little over excited.
But there was no Harsha in that series.