Can Nathan Bracken be a role model for Irfan Pathan?

bunny

Irfan Pathan has lost pace and swing which has made him a liability in test cricket. But, he can still try to be a good bowler in ODIs. And, thats where Nathan Bracken comes in. The guy has been one of the top five ODI bowlers for the last couple of years. Can Irfan learn the tricks of ODI bowling from Bracken? Also, what makes Bracken so good in ODIs?

What makes Bracken so good is his accuracy and variations. He's got terrific cutters and slower balls, etc. But what goes with that is the crazy accuracy. If you notice, no one is able to work him off the pads very easily. He's got tremendous control over the length and line at which he bowls, and he's not too slow, operates in the 132-140 range most of the times. Irfan's pace isn't as slow as we're making out to be but he bowls a LOT of 'hit me' balls in his spells. No clear thought into the delivery, no aim at length/line, etc. I find that he bowls without purpose, not withstanding how many times he's got Sanath out this series.

Irfan's pace isn't as slow as we're making out to be but he bowls a LOT of 'hit me' balls in his spells. No clear thought into the delivery' date=' no aim at length/line, etc. I find that he bowls without purpose, not withstanding how many times he's got Sanath out this series.[/quote'] You are right, he isn't that slow. Low 130's with a few 120's thrown in. Which is OK, as long as you can do something with the ball. The thing with Irfan is that he has no swing. And when he does get swing, it isn't controlled, late swing which troubles the batsman. It's early swing which is picked up easily. He is also very predictable because he doesn't have a strong short pitched delivery, a bouncer and he isn't consistent pitching it full. Basically, his bowling has deteriorated to the point that he can only be used in short bursts for 4/5 overs when batsmen are going after him. I don't think he is 10 over bowler anymore. It's a far cry from where he was even in 2005/06, when Chappell was screwing around with his action. BUT, i'd STILL keep him in the ODI and T20 side. He will always get wickets in T20 and in ODIs, he may be expensive but he makes India's batting lineup look long and scary. Case in point - today's match. Although it was a T20, you could see what a difference it makes to have him down there. Not many teams win after losing 7 wickets

And, you've pretty much summed up what the other problem is I think. We oughtn't treat him like an allrounder right now. His bowling is far from even 'very good', so essentially he's a batsman as far as I'm concerned. Regarding short pitched deliveries, don't you think he tries too many of them? In Australia, he got several wickets during the CB series because of the bounce he got and the ball used to hurry on a little more. But on these tracks, I feel that he is unable to gauge what he ought to bowl and what he shouldn't. Zaheer, I think is excellent at doing this. He knows exactly what sort of balls to bowl [not even when to bowl but WHAT to bowl]. Everyone makes mistakes but if there's a plan behind the mistake, its understandable. When there is no swing, you ought to keep it as tight as possible on a good/just short of good length and bowl as much stump to stump as possible. But he doesn't do that. Jacob Oram is terrific at doing this.

When there is no swing' date=' you ought to keep it as tight as possible on a good/just short of good length and bowl as much stump to stump as possible. But he doesn't do that. Jacob Oram is terrific at doing this.[/quote'] Oram has the natural advantage of being a giant. He gets more bounce than most bowlers do, so short of a good length stuff at his pace still is very hard to get away just because he can get the ball to climb onto batsmen. Pathan doesn't have the same height/trajectory and tends to be a bit skiddier, so bowling that same length wouldn't be effective at all - you'd see a lot of short balls rising just enough for batsmen to pull them without the steep bounce that makes it so much difficult vs. Oram, and without the pace to rush batsmen in those shots.

first of all, two fantastic threads on the main board - this one and gambit's srinath gauntlet. lage raho. Irfan has lost maybe 5 k's max, I remember him bowling around 130-135 during the BG trophy 03. Biggest problem is the lack of movement. He used to get movement through the air AND off the pitch, I remember a couple of dismissals (hayden in 03) and I think Salman Butt in JLD where it swung in and moved away. Freggen awesome. It's so incredible how drastic the decline has been. And his action looks gross compared to what it used to be. He used to have a big zaheer mk1. jump, with a very fluid motion through the crease. Now it looks like he's trying to muscle the ball through to the batsman. I haven't much of him in this series, how is his seam position etc?

Yes' date=' finding an actual length and sticking to it would be a start. Most things would be better than bowling full tosses and half volleys with near-Aag frequency.[/quote'] Agree here...swing and pace isnt the biggest problem...accuracy is. Brackens got as much pace and swing as Irfan but he is making the most of his talent.

I would like to see the 'think-tank' stick with Irfan for sometime. I dont like the idea of using Ishant as first change bowler, but having said that Praveen Kumar hasnt done anythin bad at all, but Ishant has struggled in his new role, no?. But if Irfan can find some form with the ball, then India wud have a potent batting line-up with him coming at #8.

Balaji was bowling at 133k in the last one dayer. Irfan was touching 140k in the last year ranji but now has fallen away, would not be surprised if he is carrying an injury but afraid to inform for the fear of getting dropped. Sree santh bowled 140 k easily in the duleep matches. VRV Singh-what happened to him?? Except Ishant & Sree none of the recent crop have touched 150k. I would be happy if the seamers consistently bowl between 135k to 145k with variations, seam, swing, cutters,yorkers,slower balls, reverse swing.150k is not required to get wickets.but anything less than 130k is not going to be of much help.it is bewildering to see these seamers trying to conserve their career and compromise on pace.

I think one of the things is he is trying too many things ... he needs to go back to finding that good length and keeping it there ... I have faith in Pathan though ... I think if he keeps working hard in the nets and in domestic cricket, the results will come and he could be our future allrounder ... he is only 25 atm ... still plenty of time.

Guest dada_rocks
For the life of me' date=' I can't imagine why/how Irfan has lost his pace at the age of 24. I'm sure, even today, Srinath can bowl 10 kmph faster than him.[/quote'] this will remain a mystery..