No T20 for me, will not disturb settled team: Sachin

Feed

Sachin Tendulkar said he was not convinced with the ICC Umpires Referral system which he experienced first hand on India's tour of Sri Lanka in 2008. More... No T20 for me, will not disturb settled team: Sachin Agencies Posted: Feb 12, 2009 at 1637 hrs IST Mumbai: Master batsman Sachin Tendulkar on Thursday said he was not convinced with the ICC Umpires Referral system which he experienced first hand on India's tour of Sri Lanka in 2008. "When I was there in Sri Lanka last time, I did not particularly like the Umpires Referral system. There is still an element of uncertainty in the system," the champion batsman said in Mumbai after launching a new product for Aviva Life Insurance. "I still prefer the hotspot system to identify the contact between the ball and bat. The LBW decisions are not convincing enough as the Hawk Eye gives a 22-yard view which the new referral system does not agree with as to whether the ball would have hit the stumps or not," Tendulkar said. Tendulkar also ruled himself out from playing in two Twenty20 Internationals against New Zealand in India's tour, commencing later this month. About his decision not to play anymore Twenty20 internationals, Tendulkar said that the reason was he did not want to disturb the settled team, which won the inaugural Twenty20 World Cup in South Africa in 2007. "I would continue not to play Twenty20 (international). The team is settled and I don't want to disturb it. That's why I won't be a part of the T20 team (in New Zealand)," Tendulkar said. The Indian team is scheduled to start the tour in NZ with two Twenty20 Internationals. "When I had decided not to play Twenty20 after Indian tour in 2007, my body was a bit tired and it needed rest. It was not appropriate to go (to South Africa) and not give my best. After that the team had settled down and did well," the ace batsman said. However, Tendulkar said he will continue to be part of the Mumbai Indians team in the Indian Premier League (IPL) as he was associated with it from the beginning. "I have been with Mumbai Indians from the beginning and there is continuity," he said. Tendulkar refused to comment on the umpiring decisions which went against him in the recent tour to Sri Lanka where India played five ODIs against the island nation. "The ICC doesn't allow us to comment about umpiring decisions. Players find it sometimes a bit disappointing (about these decisions). I don't want to say anything because the entire world has seen it," he said. Tendulkar was given out LBW in three matches, all debatable decisions, that he played on the Lanka tour before he was rested for the last two ODIs. On the upcoming tour to New Zealand for which the Indian team is to be picked on Friday and will fly in the early hours of February 19, Tendulkar said there were a few challenges facing the squad. "It is going to be a challenge playing New Zealand in New Zealand, where the conditions are tough. They are completely different (from others)," he said. "In Wellington, if the ball comes at 130 km per hour to the batsman from one end, it will be 5km more from the other end with the wind behind the bowler," he said. "It will affect batting. Against the head wind, the batsmen sometimes cannot keep their eyes open," he explained. After the conclusion of the one-day series, India are set to play three Test matches against the hosts with the final Test (April 3-7) scheduled to be played in Wellington. The second ODI on March 6 is also to be held at the same windy venue. Tendulkar said that the new players who have no experience of these conditions would find it somewhat difficult. On an optimistic note, he also added that there were experienced batsmen and coaches in the team to guide them. "We are prepared for all challenges," he said. Tendulkar did not read much into the fact that the Indian squad would head into the series without the benefit of playing any practice ties to get used to conditions in New Zealand. "The international (cricket) calendar is like that. And we have enough experienced players in the team. The team has got a good balance of experience and youth," he said. Tendulkar felt that the expected return of Harbhajan Singh, who missed the short tour of Sri Lanka due to hamstring injury, would be a big boost. "Harbhajan will have a big role to play. His contribution has always been important and will remain so," he said about the off-spinner's importance to the team's chances. Talking about cricket records, the champion batsman felt that the batting marks of Australian legend Sir Donald Bradman, would remain unbeatable. "As far as cricket records are concerned no one can beat the record of Sir Don Bradman. He has to come back to do those again," said Tendulkar whose batting was compared to his own by the late Australian captain. When he was alive, the Australian icon had invited the Indian ace to his Adelaide residence for a tete-a-tete, with another champion cricketer Shane Warne, on his 90th birthday.

I hava big problem with this statement n attitude of tendulkar

Tendulkar did not read much into the fact that the Indian squad would head into the series without the benefit of playing any practice ties to get used to conditions in New Zealand. "The international (cricket) calendar is like that. And we have enough experienced players in the team. The team has got a good balance of experience and youth," he said.
wtf? cant he speak his mind and be truthful?? why cant he raise this issue with BCCI as a senior player.. everyone in this world knows how we fkup away series without any match practice.. why cant he demand BCCI to organize more warmup matches?? we r gonna squander our chances cuz of lack of practice in NZ.. for god sake, y r u always pssying out frm the issues..
I hava big problem with this statement n attitude of tendulkar wtf? cant he speak his mind and be truthful?? why cant he raise this issue with BCCI as a senior player.. everyone in this world knows how we fkup away series without any match practice.. why cant he demand BCCI to organize more warmup matches?? we r gonna squander our chances cuz of lack of practice in NZ.. for god sake, y r u always pssying out frm the issues..
Zubin, there is no point in whining in media. He may have raised his concern to the BCCI officials and it may have fallen on deaf ears. But if he'll keep on ranting about this in media, it'll be taken as whining and an excuse building for an incumbent loss. Secondly Sachin is not as straightforward person as Virender Sehwag and he has to weigh his words very carefully as media would misquote him at the first possible opportunity. Here is an article which expresses Sachin's opinion about the current team under Dhoni: Happy hour The right atmosphere in the dressing room is helping Team India realise its true potential, says Tendulkar By Nandan Kumar Posted On Tuesday, February 10, 2009 at 03:32:21 AM Sachin Tendulkar had barely anything to do in the one-day series. The umpires had unique interpretations of the leg-before rule. Whenever the ball thudded on to his pads he was declared an offender; a perennial one at that. A frown would have had the entire nation in rage. But the master took all the three rough decisions on the chin. As always, he moved on. Before leaving for India he looked content, at peace with himself. India’s wins were resounding which compensated for his own failures. Since he won’t be part of today’s Twenty20 game, he had decided to rush back to Mumbai to spend quality time with his family. The Indian team will be leaving for New Zealand on February 20. For Tendulkar time continues to be at a premium. It’s been that way for 20 years. Now he connects at least four eras of Indian cricket. Who knows better how a stormy dressing room can reduce potential champions to serial underachievers. “It is simple,” Tendulkar says while reflecting on the present Indian team and its remarkable rise. “We are a happy unit now. The whole team is pulling in one direction. The support staff is playing an important role. If you observe, almost the same players have been part of the team for the last few years.” “The difference,” he underlines, “has been the mindset.” He says energy levels never deplete when a team functions with a sense of togetherness. “Nowadays the Indian dressing room is a happy house. MS Dhoni is a matured man. His emotions are always under control.” Tendulkar cites the example of the 2008 Chennai Test against England. India had been outplayed for almost 11 sessions. Tendulkar recalls the fourth day: “After tea break Viru (Virender Sehwag) played that unbelievable knock to bring us back into the match. “On the final day we turned on music in the dressing room. We were enjoying the fierce battle in the middle. This type of atmosphere helps a player to excel and do better. Dhoni’s calm and composed behaviour makes quite an impact on the boys.” United we stand He stresses that it is imperative that both the captain and the coach, who are the nerve centres of a team, work in tandem. “There should be the right environment in the dressing room so that the real talent can come out and a player is able to perform to his real potential. That is why I said it depends on the mindset. Now we as a team look happy because we are more like a unit.” “Players don’t feel insecure when they are not performing well. Whoever is in good form is trying to win a match for India. Our team is flooded with talented players. It is the right atmosphere that is helping them realise their true potential. Credit should be given to all.” For Tendulkar and India, it’s been a magnificent run that lasted 18 months. Over the years India’s overseas graph has just become glitzier. But it’s been nearly three decades since an Indian cricket team has made its presence felt in New Zealand. Tendulkar may agree that this is one Indian outfit that can set the record straight. We are a happy unit now. The whole team is pulling in one direction. The support staff is playing an important role. If you observe, almost the same players have been part of the team for the last few years. The difference has been the mindset -------------------------------------------------------------------- He is still not as willing to say that they will win easily there as that idiot Bhajji is saying. He knows that conditions there are going to be tough and the newcomers visiting there will find it tough to adapt to. I think it is better than all the chest beating before the series and then losing it might make it even more embarrassing.

With that one line... ....Sachin just added an a few more match-winning innings/ extra thousand runs/3 or 4 100s to his test career. ::dance: India in New Zealand 2008-09 Adjusting to NZ conditions will be tough - Tendulkar Nagraj Gollapudi February 12, 2009 Sachin Tendulkar, who has toured New Zealand six times, has said the toughest task for India will be to adjust to the harsh local conditions. Tendulkar was confident that the seniors in the squad would help the younger players adjust, but he has ruled himself out of contention for the two Twenty20 internationals in New Zealand. "It is a fairly new team and the challenge is definitely there. Playing in New Zealand, where the conditions are going to be tough, is a completely different experience," Tendulkar said in Mumbai. Tendulkar said the wind plays an important role in venues like Wellington and one has to be wary of the changing conditions. "In places like Wellington from one end a bowler comes at 135kph with the breeze behind him and then suddenly you are facing someone else who is very slow and there is no wind. With the wind behind the bowler it affects the batsman as he can't keep his eyes open long. So it becomes tough as one needs to change the bat swing, balance and the rest." India's tour of New Zealand was extended to include a third Test and a second Twenty20 international. The extra fixtures were included at the expense of the tour match which means India will have no practice games during their visit that includes two Twenty20 matches, five ODIs and three Tests. India will arrive in New Zealand on February 20, eight days earlier than originally scheduled, and will begin the tour with a Twenty20 match in Christchurch on February 25. Napier will host the additional Test, the second of the three-match series, from March 26 to 30. The reworked schedule resulted in the dates for the second Twenty20 game and the first three ODIs being brought forward. The three-day warm-up match against a New Zealand XI in Lincoln between the ODIs and Tests has also been scrapped. The axed practice match drew flak from former players but Tendulkar played it down. "International calendar is such that we need to adjust to such situations but it should not be a worry," he said. Tendulkar pointed out that even if there were many rookies on the New Zealand trip the seniors in the management could guide them. "It is going to be a learning experience for the first-timers," he said. "We have a good balance of experience and youth and the seniors and coaches will guide the newcomers." Asked if he would make himself available for the two Twenty20 clashes on February 25 and 27, Tendulkar said he did not want to "disturb" the balance of the Indian squad. Tendulkar hasn't played a Twenty20 international after featuring in India's maiden Twenty20 match, against South Africa in 2006, and said he had no intention to do so now. In 2007 he took his name out of contention for the Twenty20 World Cup, opting to take a break. "I was tired and wanted to take a break after the England trip in 2007," said Tendulkar. "It was a conscious decision not to play then and I did not want to have feeling of not being able to give my best. I do not want to disturb the present winning combination. The team is doing well and I do not want to be part of the Twenty20 set-up." India last toured New Zealand in 2002-03 and were beaten 0-2 in the Tests and 2-5 in the ODIs. Nagraj Gollapudi is an assistant editor at Cricinfo © Cricinfo http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/nzvind2009/content/current/story/390501.html ------------------------------ Sachin has a made a conscious decision to focus on his test career. I think its safe to say that 2009/10 will be a bumper season for an already monumental career. :dance:

I hava big problem with this statement n attitude of tendulkar wtf? cant he speak his mind and be truthful?? why cant he raise this issue with BCCI as a senior player.. everyone in this world knows how we fkup away series without any match practice.. why cant he demand BCCI to organize more warmup matches?? we r gonna squander our chances cuz of lack of practice in NZ.. for god sake, y r u always pssying out frm the issues..
Do you want us to be like the Pak team, airing all our grieviances in public, setting players against officials? Will speaking to the media address the issue? For all you know he had asked the question of BCCI and as told to live with it
Do you want us to be like the Pak team' date=' airing all our grieviances in public, setting players against officials? Will speaking to the media address the issue? For all you know he had asked the question of BCCI and as told to live with it[/quote'] I think there's a difference here. Pakistani players speak out to rubbish/malign each other. On the other hand, Sachin, or for that matter any other player, should voice their forthright opinion when it comes to saying/doing the right thing. However, it may well be that not having a tour match does not make that much a difference, atleast in this case and Sachin may well be speaking the truth. But obvious pattern has been evident for years. The seniors of our team NEVER speak their mind on important issues.
Zubin, there is no point in whining in media. He may have raised his concern to the BCCI officials and it may have fallen on deaf ears. But if he'll keep on ranting about this in media, it'll be taken as whining and an excuse building for an incumbent loss. Secondly Sachin is not as straightforward person as Virender Sehwag and he has to weigh his words very carefully as media would misquote him at the first possible opportunity. -------------------------------------------------------------------- He is still not as willing to say that they will win easily there as that idiot Bhajji is saying. He knows that conditions there are going to be tough and the newcomers visiting there will find it tough to adapt to. I think it is better than all the chest beating before the series and then losing it might make it even more embarrassing.
Do you want us to be like the Pak team' date=' airing all our grieviances in public, setting players against officials? Will speaking to the media address the issue? For all you know he had asked the question of BCCI and as told to live with it[/quote'] I am not saying tht he shud speak to the media.. im saying he shud take these issues to the BCCI and confront them ..... dont aks me how wud i know if he had spoken with BCCI.. well if he had spoken with BCCI, we wud have seen some changes atleast....instead of tht jackass niranjan shah coming out n open his trash out saying a good team doesnt need a practice match BS.. Im sure BCCI will listen to sachin.. this is where i think sachin cud have done much more good things (improvements) for indian cricket instead of jus being a goodie goodie guy..
I am not saying tht he shud speak to the media.. im saying he shud take these issues to the BCCI and confront them ..... dont aks me how wud i know if he had spoken with BCCI.. well if he had spoken with BCCI, we wud have seen some changes atleast....instead of tht jackass niranjan shah coming out n open his trash out saying a good team doesnt need a practice match BS.. Im sure BCCI will listen to sachin.. this is where i think sachin cud have done much more good things (improvements) for indian cricket instead of jus being a goodie goodie guy..
sm118no-whining-posters.jpg

This man is really a true role model for all aspiring youngsters out there .He is the biggest superstar of Indian cricket,yet such modesty and humility.No show offs regarding seniority and harping,chestbeating about seniority :hatsoff::hatsoff::hatsoff:

I think there's a difference here. Pakistani players speak out to rubbish/malign each other. On the other hand, Sachin, or for that matter any other player, should voice their forthright opinion when it comes to saying/doing the right thing. However, it may well be that not having a tour match does not make that much a difference, atleast in this case and Sachin may well be speaking the truth. But obvious pattern has been evident for years. The seniors of our team NEVER speak their mind on important issues.
Dont you think he must have spoken to the officials directly. Does he need to say it in the media only because WE can hear it ?? He is sensible enough to not interfere. He can only suggest and then its upto BCCI to do something with it. As for the suggestion, he does'nt need to show the world when he is doing that.
Dont you think he must have spoken to the officials directly. Does he need to say it in the media only because WE can hear it ?? He is sensible enough to not interfere. He can only suggest and then its upto BCCI to do something with it. As for the suggestion' date=' he does'nt need to show the world when he is doing that.[/quote'] He may have intervened privately on this occasion. But the criticism of the group of senior players isn’t because of this isolated incident alone. You listen to guys like Sachin or Dravid speak and you’ll immediate realize that every vowel, consonant that they utter goes through a internal pre-screening process to make sure they don’t get into trouble for their comments. Now, no one’s denying that its their individual right to decide how they handle the media, but as superstars, if only they had voiced their opinions on some vital issues more powerfully in the public domain, it could have been the catalyst so many positive changes. If you remember, Maravan Attapattu’s comments about Sri Lanka’s national selectors being ‘muppets’ during their ’07 tour of Australia led to a major reform in Lankan cricket. Till then, the Lankan cricket board was mired in internal politics, bickering and one-upsmanship. After that incident, there was a major reform of the board. Its amazing to think that such guys who are so shy of straight-talking could have captained the national team for so long coz, as captain, you have to confront people and tell some uncomfortable truths all the time and neither Sachin or Dravid seem capable of it.
He may have intervened privately on this occasion. But the criticism of the group of senior players isn’t because of this isolated incident alone. You listen to guys like Sachin or Dravid speak and you’ll immediate realize that every vowel, consonant that they utter goes through a internal pre-screening process to make sure they don’t get into trouble for their comments. Now, no one’s denying that its their individual right to decide how they handle the media, but as superstars, if only they had voiced their opinions on some vital issues more powerfully in the public domain, it could have been the catalyst so many positive changes. If you remember, Maravan Attapattu’s comments about Sri Lanka’s national selectors being ‘muppets’ during their ’07 tour of Australia led to a major reform in Lankan cricket. Till then, the Lankan cricket board was mired in internal politics, bickering and one-upsmanship. After that incident, there was a major reform of the board. Its amazing to think that such guys who are so shy of straight-talking could have captained the national team for so long coz, as captain, you have to confront people and tell some uncomfortable truths all the time and neither Sachin or Dravid seem capable of it.
True, absolutely true that they choose their words when speaking. But its not their fault, its the board's. Anything they say which does not please them, or targets at their policies or whatever is met by a warning. Remebber sehwag, when he said that ganguly is still missed, he got a warning, This forces our senior players to keep quiet, atleast in the media. It is sad, but that's how it is.