Reliving the memories of Yuvraj and Zaheer debuts

SachDan

in ICC Champions Trophy 2000 at Kenya Not as sensational as Ganguly and Dravid debuting at Lords. Nevertheless a remarkable debut tourney for two promising youngsters that time !! Both Zaheer and Yuvraj made their debut against Kenya since we had to play a preliminary match to qualify for the quarterfinal. Zaheer was very impressive in that match. Bowling yorker after yorker at good pace to hapless Kenyan batsmen.Remember Ravi Shastri telling Boycott in the commentary box "Geoffrey,next time you won't ask me whether this guy can bowl yorker or not":haha:. Yes we were lacking severly in pace that time.Yuvraj was not required to bat in that match as we chased down the total with ease. What a match Yuraj had against Australia in the quarterfinal ! can't remember a better ODI debut (innings) from an Indian batsman! India had a good start with Sachin going beserk right from the word go. Stepping out against McGrath and hitting ott..then we had a mini collapse as was the norm those days once Sachin gets out.Yuraj Singh came and played a sensational knock of 84 at more than run a ball. Highlights of the day were his drives and punches straight down the ground off quickies.Never Showed the nervousness of a debutant.It was a remarkable innings of cool and composure.In the field too he was brilliant pulling off a blinder of a catch and involved in a run out. Yes. We again showed the exit door to World Champions as we did in the inaugral edition of Mini World in Dhaka.

Good thread Sachdan. IT WAS DUSSEHRA.. yes i can never forget that ODI vs Australia. few cuzons were there at my home from Bombay/Amritsar who wanted to see Ravan getting burnt on Dussehra day and hence we were waiting for the game to get over fast so that we can leave from home to watch the ravan drama. so ya talkinga bout the game. The India vs Australia game was amazing. I remember Steve Waugh was taking the game away from us. But Zaheer bowled him that classy deliveries and he was envetually bowled by Zaheer in the end and that turned the game around We were outstanding, simply outstanding in the field that day. In particular Yuvraj. but everyone else also were diving around and fielding as if they were fielding for INdia for the last time. it was a complete team victory that one. the end of that tournament however wasn't too good. There was a certain Chris Cairns who took the trophy away from us.

btw, here is a very small clip i have of Yuvi playing that classy shot of brett lee from that game against Aus. I still think if have this game somewhere lying in India. don't know exactly where. [ame=http://www.dailymotion.com/user/cricketics/video/x1ard0_avsiindiavsausdussheracd_sport]Dailymotion - AvsiIndiaVSAusDussheraCd, a video from cricketics. Cricketics@@AMEPARAM@@value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/k6PMYTE1v39P5z99xG@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/k6PMYTE1v39P5z99xG[/ame]

It was exciting to watch these two newcomers. I recall after the game, Wasim Akram had mentioned that he was impressed with Zaheer Khan's bowling. Zaheer Khan of then had a very high jump at the crease when bowling. I think he has cut that down now, perhaps because of the enormous pressure that it put on his ankles. Zaheer was a fresh air of pace, especially his yorkers. Yuvraj's innings was superb, considering that it was against the Aussies in a knockout match. What followed after this innings was a string of low scores for Yuvraj in the forthcoming games. I recall when he used to get out, he almost seemed to be crying back to the pavilion. Yuvi's fielding was also there to be seen. I remember this reverse diving catch that he took-- perhaps against Zimbabwe or South Africa, it was a delight to watch. Cant seem to find a video of that catch.

Yuvi : Actually i knew he would have made it big, i had followed his performances since the u-19 WC in SL in 99, the semi performance against the Oz was just fantastic, his second ODI performance against the same opponents in the CT only underlined his brilliance Zak: Well this was the first time i saw Zak on the big stage, when he bowled Tugga with the yorker, i remember saying to myself "We might have just unearthed the Indian Akram" It was a wonderful tourney on the whole, we might have lost in the Final after having a fantastic start 36/0 after 4, but the tourney helped us find Zak and Yuvi !!!