England allrounder Andrew Flintoff claims he will be fit to play in IPL

Feed

Andrew Flintoff - who along with Kevin Pietersen was auctioned for just over £1 million to become the most expensive ever players - is confident of being fit for the IPL despite a hip injury threatening to have already ended his Test series in the West Indies. More... England all-rounder Andrew Flintoff claims he will be fit to play in IPL Andrew Flintoff – who along with Kevin Pietersen was auctioned for just over £1 million to become the most expensive ever players – is confident of being fit for the IPL despite a hip injury threatening to have already ended his Test series in the West Indies. By Steve Wilson Last Updated: 10:58AM GMT 24 Feb 2009 andrew-flintoff_1349751c.jpgFit for the job: Andrew Flintoff confident he will eb fit for IPL duties with Chennai Super Kings despite hip injury threatening his Test series in West Indies Photo: GETTY IMAGES Flintoff has already been ruled out of England’s fourth Test of their current tour which begins on Thursday in Barbados and is unsure whether he will be fit to resume duties for the fifth and final Test which gets under way on March 6. Should Flintoff fail to feature again for England against the West Indies discussions will take place within the ECB as whether or not to invoke injury related clauses in his central contract to prevent him joining up with the Chennai Super Kings. The Indian Twenty20 tournament starts on April 10 and Flintoff remains sure that his recovery will be complete by that time. “I don’t think it will be touch and go,” he told the Guardian newspaper. “The IPL’s still a while away so for all intents and purposes I’ll be fit for that. “I’m intending to go but it’s not really at the forefront of my thinking – I want to play Test cricket and I want to play the one-day internationals.” The one-day matches take place against the West Indies at the end of March with Flintoff more than eager to be involved. With England hosting the second ICC Twenty20 World Cup this summer, he also feels that the more practice England’s players get at the shortest version of the game – including in the IPL – the better. “I don’t think many of the England lads have [played many Twenty20 games],” he said. “It seems the [domestic] Twenty20 competitions always seem to fall between one-day and Test series. So as much Twenty20 cricket going into that World Cup will obviously benefit the side. “You see how the Indians have gone – it’s had a knock-on effect in one-day internationals. Obviously financially it’s great. But to further our game and get better in that form of the game it’s important we go.” In the immediate term England will be looking for a quick recovery from Flintoff to have an impact on the current tour. “I’m not in the Barbados Test and there’s a chance I’ll play in Trinidad but I’ll have to see how it settles down. We’ll see how the next week goes. “If we’ve got to get it rescanned, we’ll see what happens. If I’m being honest I don’t know.”