Women Cricket World Cup 2009

Women's WC : White Ferns seek revenge against India New Zealand's women cricketers face their most important match in four years against India on Tuesday and*have reasons for*revenge More... White Ferns seek revenge Published: 4:40PM Monday March 16, 2009 Source: NZPA New Zealand's women cricketers face their most important match in four years against India on Tuesday, eyeing revenge against the side who eliminated them from the previous World Cup. A spot in Sunday's World Cup final against unbeaten England beckons for the winners of the Super Six match at North Sydney Oval, after Australia tumbled from contention when India upset them by 16 runs at the weekend. The losers on Tuesday will meet Australia in the playoff for third on Saturday, barring upsets in the final Super Six round on Thursday. Batter Sara McGlashan was one of four current White Ferns - captain Haidee Tiffen, Aimee Mason and Nicola Browne the others - beaten by 40 runs by India in the 2005 semifinal in South Africa when they went in as defending champions. "We'll definitely be out to make amends - you still feel results like that," McGlashan said. Great recent record Since then, New Zealand have won six of their last seven against India although the teams haven't met in an ODI for two years. They played a pre-tournament warmup match in Sydney, and New Zealand were dismissed for 141 by India's battery of slow bowlers, chasing 169 to win. New Zealand's limitations against spin and ability to chase runs were again talking points after they suffered their first defeat of the World Cup, by 31 runs against England on Saturday. Coach Gary Stead wasn't too disheartened by the defeat on a slow, low surface at Bankstown Oval when they were dismissed for 170, chasing 202. Seven of the wickets fell to the England spinners as captain Charlotte Edwards starred with four for 37. "There's some little things we have to go away and look at but it's not the end of the world," Stead said. "Absolutely, India are beatable. They beat us in the warmup game on a really used wicket that suited their spinners a lot. "We're back at North Sydney where I know it's a good wicket and there's much better pace in it. Perhaps out of any teams I've seen so far, it probably suits our game more than most. " Blueprint The White Ferns' winning blueprint came in their tournament opener against defending champions Australia at North Sydney, when they posted 205 then bowled aggressively through pace trio Sophie Devine, Kate Pulford and Browne to secure a 13-run win. McGlashan, who blazed 88 not out against South Africa but failed to score against England, said the batting was a clear must-improve. Tiffen notched her second half-century of the tournament but the rest of the top-order couldn't set it up for the power hitters down the order. "Haidee was the only one to make a decent score; and hopefully we can string some partnerships together this time. North Sydney will suit us better," McGlashan said. Meanwhile, New Zealand wicketkeeper Rachel Priest was cleared to play after taking a nasty knock to the face from a top-edged sweep against England. She left the field with blood pouring from her mouth but only a loosened lower tooth, and bravely returned later in the innings. Dental x-rays cleared her of any broken teeth. "I think she's going to be all right. She's a bit of a tough cookie. If I was in a fight I'd want Priesty alongside me," Stead said.