1996 Wills WC India-Pakistan QF @ Bangalore: Press clippings etc.

Thanks for the memories Indus_Army. I was too young at the time to understand the significance of the game. Recently, I downloaded the highlights show (star sports) and it was amazing to see the Indian fightback after the initial assault Waqar getting thumped, the send - off Miandad got all were immensely satisfying. The stigma of losing that much probably haunts them to this day

BC Lara - 375 against a hapless England.
I'm sure it would have been a good read.
Thanks for the memories Indus_Army. I was too young at the time to understand the significance of the game.
My situation was the same during the '85 world series...was too young to follow the game. Fortunately, my first cricket book "One day wonders" by Gavaskar was gifted a few years later and that book provided enough information to relive the experience and realize it's speciality.
Waqar getting thumped, the send - off Miandad got all were immensely satisfying. The stigma of losing that much probably haunts them to this day
I'm sure that the defeat will haunt the Paki players through the rest of their lives and Waqar will still cringe at the sight of Jadeja even now! Damn..I'm yet to write the match report. Hopefully I'll get some time 'morrow. I'll update the post-match reports tomorrow. If you find the time today, do watch the repeat/highlights of this Ind-Pak game. You'll appreciate the post-match reports then.
Indus, do you have any newspaper clippings of the reactions in Pakistan after the 2003 world cup match between India Pak? Or how about the Pak Aus 99 wc final ? :hysterical: I would love to read some of those :hysterical:
Yeah thatll be funny as heck.

Some notes about the Bangalore crowd, with an image of the (then) newly built top deck of the Eastern stand. The Eastern first floor was a superb addition to the Chinnaswamy stadium and it has since changed the acoustics of the ground to a considerable degree. It made the crowd noise more intimidating. The stand also offers good (& a bit steep) views - especially from right next to the scoreboard at the far end. I watched this Ind-Pak game from the new stand.

Indus, do you have any newspaper clippings of the reactions in Pakistan after the 2003 world cup match between India Pak? Or how about the Pak Aus 99 wc final ? :hysterical: I would love to read some of those :hysterical:
Good choice :hysterical: I don't have any of those. But, I'm sure it would have been full of accusations & counter-accusations, excuses, calling for heads etc.:cantstop: A couple of years after that game, I visited London for the first time and needless to say, went over to our Mecca. After the ground tour, I sat down in the members stand to watch a minor counties final. Being a week day, the ground was quite empty. A couple of gents seated a few seats away, started to chat up with me. Apparently, they were witness to the Paki "Brilliance" on that day and on the way to the stadium were begged by desperate Pak fans to part with their tickets for a few thousand pounds each. Hoping for a good game, they passed on that. They seemed mighty pissed that they turned down the cash and also had to witness an easy Aussie win thereafter.
Thanks for the memories Indus_Army. I was too young at the time to understand the significance of the game. Recently, I downloaded the highlights show (star sports) and it was amazing to see the Indian fightback after the initial assault Waqar getting thumped, the send - off Miandad got all were immensely satisfying. The stigma of losing that much probably haunts them to this day
Yep, to this day as a Pakistan fan, it's the most hurtful defeat I've ever felt. The India team was weak compared to now and the Pakistan team strong. We were defending champs and it indeed thought me to be level-headed about cricket and sport because as an 11 year-old hardcore fan, I predicted an easy Pakistan win!! That defeat was worse than 1999 World Cup final I'd say- in 1999, we had a number of younger players that played well throughout up to the final but in 96 with the experience, there was no excuse.

vow.. i remem this match.. it was on a saturday the 9th.. I was going thru +2 board exam.. monday the 11th march was my physics paper.. I cudnt concentrate on physics.. and my parents put a ban on tv.. :( i was in my room with the book on my hand and the mind on the match.. everytime when i hear people screaming .. i called my fren to check with the score.. and then finally my parents let me watch the final half an hr or so... it was fekcin awesome match.. and i was jumping in my house... its amazing how i forgot completely about the board exam for tht 30 mins..only when my parents turned off the tv after the match, i realized i had to study for the exam.. :(( luckily i did well the physics n the chemistry paper was on the wednesday ... the semifinals match against SL i rushed back home after the exam to watch the match..since the next paper was maths, i was afford to watch the match.. but i ended up with tears tht nite when we lost to SL very badly .. :(( phew...