Cricket: Indians frown on McMillan being in Sky team

Feed

Cricket sponsor silences 'rebel' Craig McMillan By JONATHAN MILLMOW - The Dominion Post Last updated 05:00 13/03/2009 Share Share Print Print Text Size Text Size Comments 14 comments Relevant offers India's influence on world cricket has now extended to the commentary box. Former New Zealand batsman Craig McMillan can't get a word in on Sky TV because of his link to the rebel Indian Cricket League, an organisation the Indian board views as possessing cricket's equivalent of rabies. Sky has been warned that using "Macca" will upset broadcasting giant Sony Entertainment, which not only paid $1 billion to be the host broadcaster of the Indian Premier League but also holds the rights of all cricket televised out of New Zealand. McMillan was in Hamilton on Wednesday night for the fourth one-day international but remained at the back of the commentary box. He referred all comment on the matter to Sky TV's acting executive producer, cricket, James Cameron, who admitted McMillan's situation was a delicate one. Cameron said McMillan had been pencilled in to commentate on the second test in Napier because Ravi Shastri had to return home for a birthday. "Ravi mentioned there could be a problem because Craig played in the Indian Cricket League," Cameron said. "I've told Sony that Craig could be in the mix for the second test because I have a hole in the team but I've not heard back from them. "I don't like the idea of us being told who we can and can't use but ..." Ironically Shastri is on the board of the IPL. Cameron said whatever the outcome McMillan had a future with Sky. "Macca is really keen, and at the moment he is with us to get up to speed and there is no doubt he will be in the mix."