Cricket: Indians frown on McMillan being in Sky team

Feed

The IPL tentacles have reached New Zealand's television commentary team on the Indian tour. Former international Craig McMillan is down to be part of the Sky cricket crew for the second test in Napier this month. However, whether... More... Cricket: Indians frown on McMillan being in Sky team 4:00AM Friday Mar 13, 2009 By David Leggat Craig McMillan is down to be part of the Sky cricket crew for the second test in Napier. Photo / Getty ImagesPhotos: Black Caps vs India, 4th ODI Summer of cricket Cricket: Speedster Arnel in on merit Cricket: Counting down to the elusive ODI double-century Related links: Cricket: Political minefield thwarts 'Indian Six' The IPL tentacles have reached New Zealand's television commentary team on the Indian tour. Former international Craig McMillan is down to be part of the Sky cricket crew for the second test in Napier this month. However, whether he gets to sit behind the microphone is unclear after Indian officials objected to his presence at the fourth ODI in Hamilton on Wednesday night, given his links to the rival, privately-run Indian Cricket League's Twenty20. McMillan captained the Royal Bengal Tigers in the ICL. The Indian board, who oversee the Indian Premier League, regard the ICL as something to be scraped off the soles of their shoes. The commentary team includes former Indian allrounder Ravi Shastri, who has strong links to the IPL, the Board of Control for Cricket in India, and broadcast rights holders Sony. A Shastri-McMillan double act would have had IPL wheels in a spin. McMillan was in Hamilton in a "watch and learn" capacity, said Sky's acting executive producer for cricket, James Cameron. Cameron had given Sony Entertainment Television, who carry Sky's images to the sub-continent, a list of commentators for the tour, including McMillan's name. Cameron denied McMillan had been pulled from the roster at a late hour on Wednesday due to Indian interference, pointing out he already had six commentators on the job - former internationals Stephen Fleming, Simon Doull, Mark Richardson, Ian Smith, Martin Crowe and Shastri. Sky is in a holding pattern as it awaits developments. Shastri is returning home when the second test is on. Cameron is reluctant to have his hand forced on who should be allowed to commentate during the series. "They [sony] have known all along my intention to use Craig," Cameron said. "I don't believe we should be dictated to. I believe if Sony have an issue then they should be providing their own commentators."

Whingers. First they dictated who can and can't play cricket. Now they are stepping into commentary as well. What next, they will demand the plane's not supposed to fly because there is a ICL player in it and also the Indian players?

Whingers. First they dictated who can and can't play cricket. Now they are stepping into commentary as well. What next' date=' they will demand the plane's not supposed to fly because there is a ICL player in it and also the Indian players?[/quote'] I kid you not. I did read something like this in the news sometime back.

I wouldn't want to name the players but there were a few that still has good ties as in friendship with the ICL cricketers. Sridharan Sriram was here playing for a club in Auckland and he did meet some of the players as he has played with them heaps in the zonal and age group cricket. Are BCCI going to say the players are not supposed to keep in touch with the ICL players?

I wouldn't want to name the players but there were a few that still has good ties as in friendship with the ICL cricketers. Sridharan Sriram was here playing for a club in Auckland and he did meet some of the players as he has played with them heaps in the zonal and age group cricket. Are BCCI going to say the players are not supposed to keep in touch with the ICL players?
You never know with Big Bully BCCI. They may say "No personal friendship with ICL players also". NZ and our own players should just give :finger: to BCCI.
Zaheer Khan and Thiru Kumaran are good friends. Remember the incident during the Eng series where the security wouldn't let Zaheer's friend meet him during the Chennai match? It was T. Kumaran that was stopped. BCCI can't do sh**. If Tendulkar says he wants to play with an ICL player, he will.