I guess that settles how good Dhoni is

Seriously guys I don;t care who else it is but I do hope it is now Viru I love his batting but he is simply not leadership material it should be RD in tests if Dhoni is missing and if RD is not acceptable than give it to Yuvi if he is playing \ but please no more Viru

I really admired the way Karthik performed as a make shift opener in the England tour. He showed a remarkeable aptitude in the way he was able to adjust his game with the limited talent he had in handling the new ball and swinging conditions. After just one innings he had adjusted his game to batting better on the front foot and hitting the ball really early to negate the swing. But for whatever reasons he hasn't shown that kind of flexibility and maturity since and his performances really have deteriorated.

Dhoni's all right but if India ends up drawing this game will you blokes credit the draw to Sehwag? Apparently not. You guys have already decided Sehwag's a bad captain and guess what it's his first dig at captaincy so give him some time to mature. The way you guys hype Dhoni it feels like he's the only thing India is winning. Calling him philosopher, magician and what not. He's just a bloke with good cricketing brain that has at disposal some of the best players world has ever seen. Three years down the lane I'd like to see how he is leading the team when the likes of Sachin, Rahul, Laxman aren't available and to a certain extent Sehwag will not be as potent as he is now. This always has been a problem with Indian cricket fans, too my hype about every player. Dhoni has played about 5 years of international cricket and has captained for about a year. Let's wait and watch how he does in the long run rather than hyping him up already.

Off the field, the anecdote that will pass the test of time was when he suddenly gave a metaphysical discourse on Descartian Dualism to a bunch of overworked reporters before this Napier Test. In response to a question about why the team had stayed in Auckland for an extra day, Dhoni said, "When it comes to the mind, it depends on what you're feeding into it. The mind doesn't know if it's Napier. You come and say this is Napier, it believes it is Napier; you say it is day, it believes it is day."
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: What an INIMITABLE LEGEND! :hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail: :hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail: :hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail: :hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail: :hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail: :hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:
Dhoni's all right but if India ends up drawing this game will you blokes credit the draw to Sehwag? Apparently not. You guys have already decided Sehwag's a bad captain and guess what it's his first dig at captaincy so give him some time to mature. The way you guys hype Dhoni it feels like he's the only thing India is winning. Calling him philosopher, magician and what not. He's just a bloke with good cricketing brain that has at disposal some of the best players world has ever seen. Three years down the lane I'd like to see how he is leading the team when the likes of Sachin, Rahul, Laxman aren't available and to a certain extent Sehwag will not be as potent as he is now.
Its his 2nd test as captain, incidentally. He captained a test against SL late 2005 when Dravid was ill. He won that test match. Coming into this, he had a 100% test match win record as captain (1/1).
This always has been a problem with Indian cricket fans, too my hype about every player. Dhoni has played about 5 years of international cricket and has captained for about a year. Let's wait and watch how he does in the long run rather than hyping him up already.
He's done a good job so far, though.
Dhoni's all right but if India ends up drawing this game will you blokes credit the draw to Sehwag? Apparently not. You guys have already decided Sehwag's a bad captain and guess what it's his first dig at captaincy so give him some time to mature. The way you guys hype Dhoni it feels like he's the only thing India is winning. Calling him philosopher, magician and what not. He's just a bloke with good cricketing brain that has at disposal some of the best players world has ever seen. Three years down the lane I'd like to see how he is leading the team when the likes of Sachin, Rahul, Laxman aren't available and to a certain extent Sehwag will not be as potent as he is now. This always has been a problem with Indian cricket fans, too my hype about every player. Dhoni has played about 5 years of international cricket and has captained for about a year. Let's wait and watch how he does in the long run rather than hyping him up already.
Excellent post, Ravi :nice:
Guest gaurav_indian
Good post.I agree.
Its his 2nd test as captain, incidentally. He captained a test against SL late 2005 when Dravid was ill. He won that test match. Coming into this, he had a 100% test match win record as captain (1/1).
Good to know. I'm quite sure India will draw this one and Sehwag will have good captaincy record. Wonder if people will credit Sehwag for that though? Dhoni has done a good job so far no doubt but they amount of hype he gets is way over the top. In fact his test cricket record isn't as flashy either. The only century he has scored from his 57 innings is against Pakistan way back in 2006 on an absolute flat deck. In fact I can't remember too many of his knocks in test cricket at all. Since being a captain he's done quite well if not 100s at least he has scored a few 50s. I want him to do well but even before he has consistently done well enough the Indian players get hyped way over the top.
well... doh! obviously. He is the best captain. I have seen enough of him to make that judgement. I know he'll live up to it. And more. Sometimes, you can just tell. Anyhoo, as long as India wins, I know everyone is happy.
Dhoni's all right but if India ends up drawing this game will you blokes credit the draw to Sehwag? Apparently not. You guys have already decided Sehwag's a bad captain and guess what it's his first dig at captaincy so give him some time to mature. The way you guys hype Dhoni it feels like he's the only thing India is winning. Calling him philosopher' date=' magician and what not. [b']He's just a bloke with good cricketing brain that has at disposal some of the best players world has ever seen. Three years down the lane I'd like to see how he is leading the team when the likes of Sachin, Rahul, Laxman aren't available and to a certain extent Sehwag will not be as potent as he is now. This always has been a problem with Indian cricket fans, too my hype about every player. Dhoni has played about 5 years of international cricket and has captained for about a year. Let's wait and watch how he does in the long run rather than hyping him up already.
Dhoni isn't doing anything different than any other good captain should be going like utilizing his players well, keeping the team spirit up and giving his players freedom when they're going well. I agree, it's still early days yet but I have to say that the Indian team has accomplished a huge amount in the short time he's been captain.
Good to know. I'm quite sure India will draw this one and Sehwag will have good captaincy record. Wonder if people will credit Sehwag for that though? Dhoni has done a good job so far no doubt but they amount of hype he gets is way over the top. In fact his test cricket record isn't as flashy either. The only century he has scored from his 57 innings is against Pakistan way back in 2006 on an absolute flat deck. In fact I can't remember too many of his knocks in test cricket at all. Since being a captain he's done quite well if not 100s at least he has scored a few 50s. I want him to do well but even before he has consistently done well enough the Indian players get hyped way over the top.
I, for one, am not hyping his batting.
Good to know. I'm quite sure India will draw this one and Sehwag will have good captaincy record. Wonder if people will credit Sehwag for that though?
Probably not. They'll call for his head for playing rash shots. We can't do much about idiots can we?
Dhoni has done a good job so far no doubt but they amount of hype he gets is way over the top. In fact his test cricket record isn't as flashy either. The only century he has scored from his 57 innings is against Pakistan way back in 2006 on an absolute flat deck. In fact I can't remember too many of his knocks in test cricket at all. Since being a captain he's done quite well if not 100s at least he has scored a few 50s. I want him to do well but even before he has consistently done well enough the Indian players get hyped way over the top.
I don't know Ravi - he's had that 76* at Lord's, and then later in the same series, to show a different side of him, he scored 92(81). He's done well as captain, yeah. He's had some good 50s against Australia. In Australia vs. Aus, he struggled - it was his first tour but he wasn't nearly as lost as our present #6. He comes at #7 - so there aren't too many opportunities for him to score hundreds. As long as he maintains an average close to 40, I think we're good.
How's it hype when the results are there to be seen? Except for Ganguly's tenure, we never tasted success in foreign tours. Even then we had the same A-list players and that also included Ganguly and Kumble but still performances were inconsistent. Dhoni doesn't have the services of Kumble anymore nor does he needlessly play aggressive cricket. He has clearly matured and realizes the importance of partnerships and leading from the front. No team will respect a captain who goes out for a duck most of the time or goes out with rash shots without reading the situations properly (eg. Ganguly, Sehwag, Yuvraj). What's the Dhoni Difference? It's 100% killer instinct to win and not go in to draw the game like these old timers wanted to do every time they were in the back foot in the first day. Good had working bowlers like Zaheer and Ishant Players respect that from their captain and will give their best knowing it won't be a futile effort.
How's it hype when the results are there to be seen? Except for Ganguly's tenure, we never tasted success in foreign tours. Even then we had the same A-list players and that also included Ganguly and Kumble but still performances were inconsistent. Dhoni doesn't have the services of Kumble anymore nor does he needlessly play aggressive cricket. He has clearly matured and realizes the importance of partnerships and leading from the front. No team will respect a captain who goes out for a duck most of the time or goes out with rash shots without reading the situations properly (eg. Ganguly, Sehwag, Yuvraj). What's the Dhoni Difference? It's 100% killer instinct to win and not go in to draw the game like these old timers wanted to do every time they were in the back foot in the first day. Good had working bowlers like Zaheer and Ishant Players respect that from their captain and will give their best knowing it won't be a futile effort.
Hype because of the kind of credit you guys are giving him just after leading for about an year... Secondly how many test matches has Dhoni won for India overseas? Give him few years before you guys can start singing his praises left, right and center. The same kind of hype has been lavished on Pathan, Munaf, Yuvraj and the rest. They are still to find a permanent place in the test team. To reply to your rest of the questions